Channel 5 Transmission Discussion/Updates

630si

I've just looked at the TV guide as far as next Monday (the first day of this break from Home and Away airing episodes as normal), and the description given for the 15:25 episode of Home and Away seems to relate to an episode from late 2010-early 2011, at around the time when Will Smith returned with his daughter Lily and had just killed Penn Graham. I don't have a link to confirm what is exactly happening, but this is all I have to go on so far. Hopefully, the episodes shown will be as good as they were in 2012. I was very disappointed in 5*'s offerings of Home and Away during its summer break last year, and it was only good for the 4 weeks from August to September when episodes from 2000 were shown.

*sigh*.... I'll just post these, bite my tongue on the choice of episodes, and run for the hills.... :mellow:

The Penn murder listing was a mistake (mixup with episode numbers) - the actual one is below

It's.... a River Boys Special, with the first week focusing on Casey.

Monday 2nd May

Episode 5233 (2011)

Nicole leaves for the city to think about her baby. Bianca fears the spark has gone from her relationship with Liam. The Braxtons cause trouble in Summer Bay. Miles makes a surprise return.

Tuesday 3rd May

Episode 5537 (2012)

Casey visits his father. Roo and Harvey realise Mel's not coping. Liam thinks about moving to the city with Hayley.

Wednesday 4th May

Episode 5586 (2012)

News of the shooting drama shocks Summer Bay's residents. Harvey is annoyed when Alf invites Tim to stay for dinner.

Thursday 5th May

Episode 5616 (2012)

It's a race against time as Natalie and Brax search for Casey in the desert. Romeo and Indi struggle with Romeo's steroid addiction.

Friday 6th May

Episode 5913 (2014)

Casey tries to convince Adam to help Brax. Zac and Hannah hit a bump in their relationship. Bianca is devastated to discover more news about Heath and Jess.

It's think it's obvious that the actual 'classic' episodes shown were just a one-off for H&A's 25th, and I presume they would have had to buy the rights individually, so we shouldn't expect to see those again with every break.

However they still have a back catalogue of 14 years to choose from mid-2000, and with a little imagination and knowledge of the show they could actually put some great storylines on there. I did offer my assistance a few years back if they wanted any ideas for themes, but they didn't take me up on it.

And just as I was getting slightly excited at the prospect of seeing Will again without looking for things on YouTube ...

I am very disappointed in this theme, but I'm not surprised. Everyone's spent the last 3 years obsessing over the Braxton brothers. I don't mind them sometimes cos they're amusing, but their "celebrity status" on Home and Away is completely beyond a joke. If anything, I much prefer Josh Barrett (not too sure about Andy though).

And you know something? I'm a lifelong viewer of both Home and Away AND Neighbours, and I love what they're doing on Neighbours. Although I wasn't even born when Brad and Lauren were originally on the show, their respective families are my favourite characters now. And I don't know the original actors of Brad and Lauren because they were recast with two former Home and Away stars who I already knew from their roles as Sophie and Scott. And there are other instances like that which I really like about Neighbours. Yes, we had Marilyn and Roo returning in 2010, but they rarely make any references to past characters on the show. I believe that Marilyn has very recently suggested that the school's library be renamed after Gina. Although I have only noticed this in the past month itself, the library is currently named "The Donald Fisher Library" - i.e. named after Marilyn's ex-husband, who was a main character on the show for 15 years. And has he been mentioned by ANYBODY since his last visit to Summer Bay in 2007? No. Not by Alf. Not by Marilyn. Not by Roo. Not by Irene. Not by Leah. Any other character now wouldn't know him. I'd like to see him back. Alf and Roo rarely even mention Duncan.

I'd like to see other characters back as well. My dream is that characters from 2000 came back. Sam Marshall (Bobby's adopted son) returning with his girlfriend Sandy and their daughter (well, Sandy's daughter) Bella. That would be brilliant for the show, to see Bella in the teenager group, possibly with Evie, Josh and so on, or with VJ and Jett. What about Gypsy and Lily (well, Will's in prison now, isn't he?), as Lily is the same age as VJ and Jett (except Kimberley Cooper is now in LA)? Maybe not Hayley and Scott seeing as Kip Gamblin is now on Neighbours, but I'd love to see them back as well. Nick, Jade, Kirsty and Seb. And a relatively unknown couple who were only around for less than a year, but who left a huge impression on me when repeats of episodes from 2000 were shown in the UK in 2007. Does anybody remember Edward Dunglass and Peta Janossi? Of course, you can't really bring Edward back because his prognosis in 2000 was 8-12 years, but I'd like to see Peta back. Maybe with a child and/or a new boyfriend. I'd probably have her staying with Irene.

Anyways, this set of episodes for this 3 week break is awful in my opinion.

I wasn't actually expecting anything.Not sure if this is better or worse.One very odd thing:If that's meant to be Casey's week, then leading off with 5233, while ideal for a Braxton run, makes no sense for a Casey week:It's the Braxtons' first episode but only Brax and Heath appear, with Casey not introduced until the following episode.

Well did we really expect anything else from Channel 5.... :-(

Another Braxton-Fest to look forward to. Well not for me I'm afraid, would rather watch paint dry !!

I hear what you're saying Dan about the limited number of episodes Channel 5 may have the rights to show but seriously there was a Home and Away before the Braxton's came along !!! What are Channel 5 thinking?

Roll on the 30th anniversary Summer break. Hopefully Channel 5 may provide us with classic episodes then (if the show hasn't been cancelled), although if The Early Years continue to be shown in Australia on a weekly basis as they are now without any breaks, we could be up to 1996 by then and would have seen a fair few of the early classic episodes anyway.

Simply shocking but rant over........ for now !!

Edited by Summer_Bay_Sunshine