Channel 5 Transmission Discussion/Updates

630si

14 minutes ago, Posy said:

Thanks Bri1231 for the info, and taking the time to contact channel 5 on our behalf.

It’s a while since I saw the pilot, looking forward to seeing some of those disasters again.

You're welcome. I just had to know if the rumour was true and then share it with my home and away besties. 

I haven't seen the pilot for a very long time and looking forward to some eps from the 2000-2010 danger decade. ?

They had Ray Meagher do an announcement at the end of today's Channel 5 episode (albeit with poor sound quality), so at least they're letting people know it's happening! I'm reminded they did something similar for the 25th anniversary. It's nice to know we're getting a decent spread of episodes. I am slightly disappointed at the pilot being wheeled out again when there are other episodes from 1988 (I'm reminded of Coronation Street fans getting frustrated that ITV show the first episode at least once every ten years and never anything else from the 1960s), but I'm sure there's people out there that it'll be new to and who'll be interested!

I think it might have been good to go down the route of showing some of the backstory of Alf, Roo, Irene, Marilyn & Leah to the newer fans, but it’s a nice mix.

I agree that the Pilot is done to death, and I’d add that Blake & Meg is a little tired between the repeats and the various homages to that death.

Ben & Carly’s Wedding is a nice one, I wonder if Sharyn bringing that up at Ray’s This Is Your Life lead to that suggestion.

Edited by c120701

Some are re-runs from the Summer 2012 throwback season on 5 Star.  They rated fairly well I recall, and not far short of what 5 Star picked up for first look at the time.

A decade on, though, and streaming is much more of a thing.  I agree these don't need to go out on linear although I do believe the long-term plan is to move the show to streaming, possibly with the 6:30pm linear airing on 5 Star remaining.  The hill I'll die on is that the way the show was taken off the main channel altogether when the Queen died was not an accident, especially the episode scheduled for the day of the funeral which only got a First Look showing - nothing else.

It's not something I personally have much of a beef with, and since My5 serves the episodes up in HD now (they do on Virgin, at least) that's generally the way I'm consuming the show. To be honest, Sky Glass and Sky Stream are going to start to make inroads in the next few years and I don't believe we are all that far off seeing Freeview itself offer IP delivery, probably by an app on existing Rokus/Firesticks etc rather than via their own hardware.

As someone else said, I think ITVX is going to be the big game changer.  None of the commercial PSB apps even come close to rivalling BBC iPlayer at the moment but I reckon ITVX could change that.

I know two mates in "real life" who admit to watching the show, and when the changes happened last year both said "doesn't bother me as I watch on My5 anyway."

• Like 1

Spot on James I agree the future is streaming. And look at that very fresh announcement about Neighbours  coming back on Amazon freevee. (although I think that will be a bit difficult for most to grasp and find to Begin with, people will get used to it after a while) days of our lives in the US is now entirely on peacock. The change is happening! 

Also the advertisers will pay more for streaming Slots, they can target you better, as they know exactly your age and location etc and also you cannot skip the ads most the time. The ads on Homers on my5 are a lot different already. Not a funeral plan in sight ? 

Edited by 630si

I got a bit confused over which episodes were shown in 2012 (I got confused with the repeats in, I think, 2014 where an episode just after Michael and Pippa's wedding was shown), but yes, that's three of the five episodes in the first week having been shown then. I don't believe Channel 5 have ever shown the Bobby/Frank or Ben/Carly weddings though.

I'm curious how they're planning it.If it's 35 episodes, and they're releasing them Monday to Friday, that would need a seven-week break, not six. Maybe they're releasing them on Saturdays as well, for five of the weeks?

At least they got the sound level right on Ray Meagher's announcement today!