Channel 5 Transmission Discussion/Updates

630si

3 hours ago, pembie said:

I thought that too I’m glad Tex got caught though he is a right smug knob haha

That didn't even happen until today's episode! The big cliffhanger that people are upset about missing was Tane going to see the bikies for a chat! It was vaguely reminiscent of that Olympic cliffhanger that Channel 5 promoted as The Plane Crash, only for the cliffhanger to be the plane taking off and it didn't crash until the week back!

2 hours ago, Red Ranger 1 said:

That didn't even happen until today's episode! The big cliffhanger that people are upset about missing was Tane going to see the bikies for a chat! It was vaguely reminiscent of that Olympic cliffhanger that Channel 5 promoted as The Plane Crash, only for the cliffhanger to be the plane taking off and it didn't crash until the week back!

I’m sorry I got mixed up with the episodes I didn’t mean to spoiler it 

2 hours ago, Red Ranger 1 said:

Isn't that the point of a cliffhanger though? I remember that episode very well and we all knew something was going to happen to the plane, via promos etc. So the plane takes off......what happens next = cliffhanger. No? 

Then again, I guess the missing on an Island cliffhanger had some of the story already played out right before the return premiere. So I see what you mean. 

39 minutes ago, James Martin said:

It's all very confusing if you watch at C5 pace - no explanation of why the story has moved on, nothing.

Yeah I can totally see that. I watch the show as it airs in Australia though. So if they air a 90 minute episode for a big story, I will watch it like that,a mid season finale and the season finale etc it all ties in well for me. I just make sure I watch it as it's meant to be watched. 

Season finale / end of year wrap up storylines can appear to be very very drawn out in the UK. What should have wrapped up in November / early Decmember drags out onto the screen way into early / mid March here. I just don't get why Channel 5 doesn't air the show as it's intended to. Jan through November. Yeah complete 

They could certainly run a week behind Australia, or even run on the intended airdates as 7:30pm Australian time has more than passed by 1:45pm UK.  If Seven want to then go rogue, well, their choice.

But if you watch via C5 at lunchtime and don't have or know about 5 Star or My 5, it's all very odd.

Typically too late for it to be of any use whatsoever, Channel 5 finally replied to a query I sent on Friday this afternoon: "we will not be showing Friday 9th September 13:45 edition of this programme again and it is available on My5 As you rightly point out this episode was shown on Friday 9th September at 18:00 on 5STAR."

I can't say I'm really bothered about "HD" (I've never really been able to tell the difference):I recorded the Friday 6pm 5Star showing and watched it without any difficulty. But it feels like there is something unofficial about an episode only getting a showing on the digital channel (even if the distinction's meaningless since the analogue signal was turned off!) rather than the main channel. There is of course plenty of precedence for episodes only getting one airing but when they've cut it down to one Channel 5 airing and that's the one that gets dropped...

As for the whole "Why don't Channel 5 show the show the way it's intended to?"...they do. They show it Monday to Friday in the proper blocks It's Channel 7 who show the episodes all over the place, mashing it up into triple-bills, or dropping an episode entirely and only showing four that week, and then squeezing about 15 episodes into a fortnight at the end of the year because they're that far out of synch. Channel 5 show it the most sensible way they can: They could probably get a bit closer but there's no way "a week behind" would work for more than, well, a week before it became a case of "A week behind what?" and possibly having to take the show off air if they catch up too much during a period where Channel 7 are dragging it out.

7 hours ago, Bri1231 said:

Isn't that the point of a cliffhanger though? I remember that episode very well and we all knew something was going to happen to the plane, via promos etc. So the plane takes off......what happens next = cliffhanger. No? 

Well, yes, of course it's a cliffhanger. The point is it, and last week's, were just ordinary end of the week cliffhangers, not anything special. They weren't "Something big has happened, so you'll really want to tune in after the break to see what happens next!", they were more "Something big will probably happen when the show comes back. But you won't get to see it for several weeks."

Shocking communication though.  I'm pretty sure My5 is still only SD outside of Sky & Virgin though.  I assume they'll handle the episode on Monday in the same way.  They clearly want the audience to use 5 Star.  Get it in HD then you flamin' galahs.

Although it's a good time to try and lose something you want shot of.  The BBC are throwing EastEnders out at all sorts of times this week.  Last night a key episode was originally 19:30 BBC One, then 20:30 BBC One, then 21:00 BBC Two.  If you want people not to watch a show, that's the way to go about it!