Channel 5 Transmission Discussion/Updates

630si

Now one of the Big 2 Australian soaps has ended, I am not too certain about the future of H&A. The show has apparently dropped in ratings in Australia and barely anyone watches in the UK now. A far cry from the bonza 17 million viewers H&A got in a late 1992 episode in the UK.

No other Australian soap has the rich history of Neighbours and H&A and the longevity. Both shows have made a combined amount of about 18000 episodes.

Home & Away would find a British outlet due to its lower cost, but it might not be linear.

Amazon have taken on the early years; it's not a stretch to suggest they might take on the modern show as a lead-in.  The sort of money we're talking is loose change for Amazon in any case.  It's also a service most people have anyway (often without realising thanks to the delivery perks) - for me it wouldn't be the end of the world if that was the endgame.

The thing is though, every dog has his day.  Neighbours has had an exceptional run as has Home & Away, but if you look at how long The Young Doctors or Sons & Daughters lasted, they've both had an exceptional life.  It's worth noting that Home & Away only became an accidental hit because ITV took one look at the height of Kylie and Jason mania and wanted a piece of the action.

Preparing to look stupid but it does feel like Channel 5 are pushing Home and Away at the moment with all their trailers. It's probably more about trying to get traffic to the "First Look" on 5Star, but they're highlighting the Channel 5 showing as well. So I can't see it being dropped in the immediate future, and even though we aren't getting a teatime Channel 5 showing back like some people hoped, maybe now they haven't got Neighbours (after this week) they're going to give a bit more attention to their remaining long-running Oz soap.

I'm slightly disappointed with the new timeslot: I start work late enough, and live close enough to my workplace, that I've been able to watch both Home and Away and Neighbours before work, so I was rather hoping to have a spare half hour after HA to get on top of stuff like posting my thoughts about the day's episode on here. Oh well, I guess I'll have to enjoy having a spare half hour before the episode instead!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Red Ranger 1 said:

Preparing to look stupid but it does feel like Channel 5 are pushing Home and Away at the moment with all their trailers. It's probably more about trying to get traffic to the "First Look" on 5Star, but they're highlighting the Channel 5 showing as well. So I can't see it being dropped in the immediate future, and even though we aren't getting a teatime Channel 5 showing back like some people hoped, maybe now they haven't got Neighbours (after this week) they're going to give a bit more attention to their remaining long-running Oz soap.

I'm slightly disappointed with the new timeslot: I start work late enough, and live close enough to my workplace, that I've been able to watch both Home and Away and Neighbours before work, so I was rather hoping to have a spare half hour after HA to get on top of stuff like posting my thoughts about the day's episode on here. Oh well, I guess I'll have to enjoy having a spare half hour before the episode instead!

I think the ratings will also go up once Neighbours ends. I have seen quite a few people say on Digital Spy saying they have started watching again as they want to continue watching an Aussie soap. 

Also, it’s 5*’s highest rated show. Why would they get rid of it?

Edited by ter06
  • Like 1

The audience share is like 15% some days for the C5 lunchtime showing. So I dont see it moving off the main Channel either. It should be available on my5 after the 5star first look airs though. I hope this happens soon. 

Despite the bad feeling towards C5 they have actually increased their viewershio as a Channel by something mad like 20% in the last few years. Mainly driven by their dramas and aiming at ABC1 viewers. And its a good strategy. If only the "oldies" are going to be watching linear, then you want up market oldies, as that attracts the better advertisers who are willing to pay more. Its working for them. The yoof will be on my5 and paramount plus content. 

Really good example if this, my mother in law and I were catching up on Home and Away together on my5 last week and she commented how different the adverts were. She said they were like cinema adverts. Normally she watches the lunchtime C5 with funeral plan ads ?

• Haha 2

I too have noticed the increased promos for Home and Away on C5. I think they have shown more in the last two weeks than they have in the last 10 years or so. When Neighbours landed on five it was all about Neighbours. Home and Away was kind of shunted by five not long after. Just quietly airing with the odd promo here or there and look at how it turned out. The one they invested in the most is the one that's going to be no more. 

They have no reason to get rid of it really but as posted, I do think they want as many people to move over to 5STAR so they they can eventually take it off the main channel. Who knows. 

The commercials difference between five and catch up. Ahhahahaha, too true. 

Channel 5 are currently using the promo from the 2017 finale, for the 2018 season that aired in Australia only. They have made a few adjustments of course to represent this current season. The show is being heavily promoted at the moment as mentioned. They never should have stopped doing that anyways, but as I said as soon as Neighbours came along it was all about that. 

11 hours ago, ter06 said:

I think the ratings will also go up once Neighbours ends. I have seen quite a few people say on Digital Spy saying they have started watching again as they want to continue watching an Aussie soap. 

Also, it’s 5*’s highest rated show. Why would they get rid of it?

First look has always been  the draw on thst channel, in the "Emergency Era",  viewership knocked often on the door of 1m. And back then it was probably a stringer show (more community minded but left you wanting MORE)

They may just ease it there if thr lunchtime ratings "displease" Lord Frow...?

Digitalspy, oy... the people on the forum and Socials can be pretty toxic.