Channel 5 Transmission Discussion/Updates

630si

It is good to get confirmation, because people were making a big deal about the fact Channel 5 hadn't come out and said they were keeping Home and Away.

Found myself thinking a bit more about the chances of the show returning to Channel 5 in the evening after August. Logistically, they're showing the episode at 6pm anyway and are going to have a spare slot on the main channel, so they could just move it across. I think at the end of the day it'll come down to where it generates the most advertising revenue.

6 hours ago, Red Ranger 1 said:

It is good to get confirmation, because people were making a big deal about the fact Channel 5 hadn't come out and said they were keeping Home and Away.

Found myself thinking a bit more about the chances of the show returning to Channel 5 in the evening after August. Logistically, they're showing the episode at 6pm anyway and are going to have a spare slot on the main channel, so they could just move it across. I think at the end of the day it'll come down to where it generates the most advertising revenue.

I agree. And they may try and capitalise on some floating homeless Aussie soap viewers by moving it back. I think there's a chance that it could happen but it's not the be all and end all if not. I think if between now and then they announce new commissions for daytime etc, then probably not? Watercolour challenge might be moved etc or egghead  changed to 1 hour. If none of this. Is announced, as you say the slot will need filling, let see what happens haha 

I have caught the 6pm showing over on 5star a few times, there's no adverts in the break within the programme, there's quite a lengthy advert break with ads between that showing and 6:30 first look. Then the usual adverts galore 2 ad breaks during first look. Presumably to capitalise on the higher viewing figures from 6:30pm onwards 

• Like 1

Neighbours doesn't have ads within the 6pm showing either, interestingly.

Personally my feeling is that they should go back to premiering the show on Channel 5 in the evening with the encore the next day at lunchtime like they did before Neighbours came along.  I know "first look" rates reasonably well, but I can't help but think they could sell the ad breaks on Channel 5 for a hefty premium if they in effect moved back to the main channel.

Wasn't First Look a thing before Neighbours came along? I seem to remember there was a point where they repeated the previous day's episode at 5.30pm on 5Star (or whatever it was called at the time). had the next episode on Channel 5 at 6pm, then had the First Look showing at 6.30pm, meaning people could switch between the channels and watch three episodes in a row. The 5.30 repeat showing went when they had Neighbours on Channel 5 then.

On 09/02/2022 at 12:00, Red Ranger 1 said:

Wasn't First Look a thing before Neighbours came along? I seem to remember there was a point where they repeated the previous day's episode at 5.30pm on 5Star (or whatever it was called at the time). had the next episode on Channel 5 at 6pm, then had the First Look showing at 6.30pm, meaning people could switch between the channels and watch three episodes in a row. The 5.30 repeat showing went when they had Neighbours on Channel 5 then.

It was either called "Five Life" or "Fiver" before 5star haha. I think they only started the first looks around 2006 (Obvs before neighbours came over) but on C5 the lunchtime was always a repeat of the night before 6pm showing. (so lunchtime was the last time that episode was broadcast) 6pm was the premier ep on C5. I don't think. It matters these days because back then there wasn't a demand app for C5. There is now of course. They really ought to make the episodes available on my5 after the first look has aired now that theres only 1 repeat at lunchtime the next day. 

Yes, and because of Europa League football coverage that week rather than air the "evening" showing in mid afternoon (which they usually did) they TXed at 6pm on Five Life - however it was the key episode where Amanda told Belle she was her mother.  It did go out on the main channel at lunchtime the next day, and I believe an extended recap was put on the following 6pm episode.

On 09/02/2022 at 12:00, Red Ranger 1 said:

Yes. 2006 with episode 4212.