Channel 5 Transmission Discussion/Updates

630si

7 hours ago, 630si said:

Hate to say the B word, but is that now owing to Brexit and C5 not having "European first airing" rights? Very interesting indeed actually. 

This has been said before and I still really don't see how that could be the case. We've left a political/trade block, we've not magically been transported to another continent.

3 hours ago, James Martin said:

It would make more sense to air the blocks properly on 5 Star

Please don't talk that one up, it's taken long enough to get them back on the main channel as it is!

22 hours ago, 630si said:

Average for hollyoaks at 6:30pm c4 w/c 25th Oct just short of 450k per ep.

Home and away first look on 5star w/c 25th Oct averaged 359K At 6:30pm

(This was before the schedule shift)

You're under estimating the amount of folk willing to watch 5star. In theory, home and away first look should be comfortably ahead of Hollyoaks if enough people have made the leap to first look as C5 want us to.

Interestingly, Hollyoaks first look average was 430k for 7pm on E4. So only about 900k watching Hollyoaks (adding the two airings together). Home and away was nudging 1.1 million across 13:15 18:00 and 18:30 first look. 

Let's see when the numbers come in :)

And look at the amount of press coverage Hollyoaks gets in the UK compared to H&A which rates higher! 

1 hour ago, ter06 said:

And look at the amount of press coverage Hollyoaks gets in the UK compared to H&A which rates higher! 

Home and Away is a quiet show. People watch and talk about it but it rarely if ever gets much recognition in the UK. It is 1000% better than any other show in the same drama/soap category but never gets what is deserves in regards to recognition/promotion and has now more or less been shunted to a digital channel. Much like Neighbours has in OZ, except in reverse. Neighbours went to 10 Peach in OZ, Home and Away has all but one airing gone to 5STAR. Shunted for the most boring counterpart, Neighbours. 

I wonder if RTÉ could argue the toss it's on a "minority" channel now except at lunchtime so for Channel 5/Viacom to retain European premiere rights is anti-competitive.

Brexit shouldn't affect it though, I wondered if it was an EBU thing but my understanding is that Channel 5 aren't members, and in Australia I think only SBS is in the EBU (which is what enables their participation in Eurovision.)

I think it’s quite possible RTE will pay more than Five next time contract is up so they could regain the rights?

I can’t imagine Five will want to pay a large amount again and it’s already in their deal it will air as long as it’s made so maybe RTE will bid more to get the rights. Home and Away still is incredibly successful in Ireland. 

Pre Covid the cast would come and do nightclub tours. They would charge €20 per person for a meet and greet and there would be thousands of people show up all over the country. 

Edited by ter06

7 hours ago, James Martin said:

I wonder if RTÉ could argue the toss it's on a "minority" channel now except at lunchtime so for Channel 5/Viacom to retain European premiere rights is anti-competitive.

Brexit shouldn't affect it though, I wondered if it was an EBU thing but my understanding is that Channel 5 aren't members, and in Australia I think only SBS is in the EBU (which is what enables their participation in Eurovision.)

You underestimate the popularity of Home and Away in Ireland and also that RTE have aired it since its inception, have always kept it at the 6.30pm evening slot and have always aired it uncut. Zero edits ever. It is as they put it the jewel in their crown. So they may try to push ahead with getting back to same day airings. 

That was my point - Home & Away is still a big hitter in Ireland and in a decent slot too.  It's worth a lot more to RTÉ than it's worth to Channel 5.

I wasn't suggesting RTÉ Two is a minority channel, but 5 Star is; although Home & Away does decent business there in spite of the picture quality issues. 

For me, SD only is a deal-breaker but I accept I'm in a minority; I think streaming has lowered expectations in that regard.  I imagine, for example, quite a few people only have the SD version of Netflix rather than pay the premium for HD or 4K.  People love the BBC iPlayer - in spite of a slow, clunky interface, limited support for either full HD or 50fps and zero support for Dolby 5.1.  And we're all forced to pay for that! 

I suppose it's like how DAB has overtaken FM as the way to listen to radio - a lot of stations (particularly those owned by Bauer) only broadcast in mono and at a fairly low quality, but still have hugely enviable figures.

All 5 episodes are the top 5 every week haha. More notably, the 6pm 5star repeat doesn't show in the 5star top 10 (not that I expected it to) meaning that's under 128k. So the loss of 6pm hasn't made a difference and doesn't add anything for anybody. Those 5stars on 7 day + ratings do look a smidge up on usual numbers at this stage though (let's see if it climbs any further when they become official after 28 days, as this will account in people watching on recordings and playback) 

I thought that the lunchtime C5 repeat might've seen a little bump initially as those downloading from on-demand on sky etc will account for the playback figures of that showing but seems to be the usual 350k-400k. 

I was surprised when I saw the ratings for 5*. It’s quite poor considering the 6pm show is gone. I wonder how many people went to watch at 6 and thought what they hell is going on?!

And I definitely think when contracts are up that RTE could get the rights. I think that’s right though, H&A is very successful there and RTE have been consistent with its treatment of the show. It’s clear Five doesn’t care 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1