Channel 5 Transmission Discussion/Updates

630si

1 hour ago, Bri1231 said:

I have been streaming on My5 via the sky q platform for over two months now and it has always shown the 5STAR DOG. It is different on different platforms? 

Yes, on Virgin it also shows a 5 STAR DOG and the programme is 1080/50p.  However on the actual My5 app - via a firestick, smart TV, Roku etc. - it's DOGless but 576/25p.  Odd how it's so inconsistent, you'd expect them to be able to serve at least 720p to all users.

Edited by James Martin

That is odd. I wonder why it appears like that. 

On another note, it seems as if RTE Ireland, as I look ahead at the schedule, are not taking the break imposed on them by Channel 5 due to the first rights drama. RTE used to air pretty much on the same day way back when. This will be interesting. Will they now have first airing rights again in Ireland? 

15 minutes ago, Bri1231 said:

That is odd. I wonder why it appears like that. 

On another note, it seems as if RTE Ireland, as I look ahead at the schedule, are not taking the break imposed on them by Channel 5 due to the first rights drama. RTE used to air pretty much on the same day way back when. This will be interesting. Will they now have first airing rights again in Ireland? 

Hate to say the B word, but is that now owing to Brexit and C5 not having "European first airing" rights? Very interesting indeed actually. 

2 hours ago, Bri1231 said:

RTE are two episodes behind Channel 5, so they're ending with the same episode on Wednesday. It's not scheduled for the rest of the week, other than repeats on Saturday.

Also be warned that there's only two opportunities to see the UK 'finale' ep - either the first look on Friday on 5STAR, or the (earlier than usual) lunchtime viewing at 12:30 on Channel 5 on Monday.

There'll be NO 6pm repeat of the finale ep on 5STAR on Monday evening for anyone caught out by the change in lunchtime slot.

Got to hand it to them, they're really doing their best to push people away from watching the Channel 5 broadcast to 5STAR or My5.

• Like 2

Oh OK I thought they were one episode behind. 

Well it worked with me. As soon as they drop kicked it from the 6pm broadcast, weeks before even, which I always taped and watched later down the line, I took it off season link and went to 5STAR on demand only ( My5).

Edited by Bri1231
Added info

55 minutes ago, Dan F said:

RTE are two episodes behind Channel 5, so they're ending with the same episode on Wednesday. It's not scheduled for the rest of the week, other than repeats on Saturday.

Also be warned that there's only two opportunities to see the UK 'finale' ep - either the first look on Friday on 5STAR, or the (earlier than usual) lunchtime viewing at 12:30 on Channel 5 on Monday.

There'll be NO 6pm repeat of the finale ep on 5STAR on Monday evening for anyone caught out by the change in lunchtime slot.

Got to hand it to them, they're really doing their best to push people away from watching the Channel 5 broadcast to 5STAR or My5.

You're right, I caught today's Lunchtime airing whilst pottering round the house (I had watched 5star the night before anyhow) and the continuity announcer said something like the following "If you missed all the action from the bay last night on 5star, here's your chance to catch up" 

They want as many eyes on all the adverts on 5star as possible ? I suppose it makes business sense.i hope they've pulled this off and the audience has migrated. If they have, the show could up there with some of the most watched on multichannels. We shall see! It looks like it's become the 5star soap. 

The 6pm showing is pointless anyway as it's up against Neighbours.  It would make more sense to air the blocks properly on 5 Star (as they have post-DoE Obits) if they wanted to push the viewers to 6:30 - although for me that isn't happening until it goes HD on Virgin.

5 Star historically has an very low share right across its schedule - it certainly lags way behind ITV2 and E4.  I mean if this pushes up the 6:30 figures, fab - but I still think it's always gonna get crippled by going up against Hollyoaks.

16 minutes ago, James Martin said:

The 6pm showing is pointless anyway as it's up against Neighbours.  It would make more sense to air the blocks properly on 5 Star (as they have post-DoE Obits) if they wanted to push the viewers to 6:30 - although for me that isn't happening until it goes HD on Virgin.

5 Star historically has an very low share right across its schedule - it certainly lags way behind ITV2 and E4.  I mean if this pushes up the 6:30 figures, fab - but I still think it's always gonna get crippled by going up against Hollyoaks.

Average for hollyoaks at 6:30pm c4 w/c 25th Oct just short of 450k per ep.

Home and away first look on 5star w/c 25th Oct averaged 359K At 6:30pm

(This was before the schedule shift)

You're under estimating the amount of folk willing to watch 5star. In theory, home and away first look should be comfortably ahead of Hollyoaks if enough people have made the leap to first look as C5 want us to.

Interestingly, Hollyoaks first look average was 430k for 7pm on E4. So only about 900k watching Hollyoaks (adding the two airings together). Home and away was nudging 1.1 million across 13:15 18:00 and 18:30 first look. 

Let's see when the numbers come in :)