Channel 5 Transmission Discussion/Updates

630si

On 27/09/2021 at 11:25, Psychic Wombat said:

Replacing H&A 6pm slot with news is dumb. If I want to watch news I switch on one of the many news channels, I fail to see how it will attract more viewers, it's not as though Channel 5 news is that good. If they had to bump off one show it should have been neighbours which gets worse year by year. I guess they want us to watch on catchup for some reason.

I've never understood the promo trailers that spoil the story after ending on a cliffhanger. Why would you do that?

I stopped taking notice of the news after crovid I really hate now I don’t know why people watch it you don’t really need to as it’s all over the internet anyway 

As for home and away I find it better to watch in chunks now not much happens in single episodes 

• Like 1

The issue is Channel 5 had a requirement to broadcast 30 minutes of news in peak time (6pm-10:30pm) but they've been allowed by Ofcom to change that to a single hour long programme at 5pm.  It also gives them a point of difference against the other networks and they can beat the BBC and ITV to the big stories.  Increased working from home - here to stay in some form - means there'll be an audience for it.  They can also now broadcast an alternative during the ITV and BBC news hours.

With the acquisition of Eggheads, there's only room for one of the Aussie shows and Neighbours was always going to win that war.  In any case, Neighbours has basically been kept alive by the UK for years now, whereas Home and Away is still popular enough domestically to just about manage without a UK deal.

What worries me is what the loss of teatime viewers will mean for the show long term as losing the majority of the UK audience will be seen as a lack of confidence in the programme.  And do Channel 5 have a getout clause?  Surely they must do as they can't be paying what they were paying 20 years ago, nor can Seven just massively raise their price and C5 can't do anything about it.  With enough notice, Viacom must be able to say to Seven, "we want out."

18 hours ago, pembie said:

I stopped taking notice of the news after crovid I really hate now I don’t know why people watch it you don’t really need to as it’s all over the internet anyway 

As for home and away I find it better to watch in chunks now not much happens in single episodes 

Tbh, as I have written in previous posts I also watch the show like that and always a few weeks behind. Usually a double Monday night and a triple Tuesday or Thursday depending on my work schedule. 

9 hours ago, c120701 said:

I guess they’ve been considering this a while with 5STAR being in the correct blocks. I think they said Eggheads will air at 7pm, so I wonder what will be on at 6.30pm on Channel 5?

Eggheads will be airing at 6.30pm from Monday October 4th.

• 4 weeks later...

The schedule change happens on Monday 8th November, but reading the article below, Home and Away retains a 6pm slot, but on 5STAR followed immediately by the First Look at 6.30pm, so if you’re not a Neighbours fan, that helps I guess.

https://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/neighbours/a38054129/neighbours-home-and-away-channel-5-timeslot-changes/

• Like 1

This is great news actually. Because on 8th Nov any 6pm viewers will still be able to keep to their routine! Just have to click a button on the remote!

And if I miss the 5star the day before, I know I can sit down for a 1 hour Home and away screening 6-7 and catxh up :)

channel 5 might actually know what they're doing guys, seemingly this means the 6pm neighbours on 5star has been canned.canned.Home and away airing should attract more viewers at 6pm to 5 star and more still stick around for first look at 6:30pm loads more advertising revenue for the show and they can probably build the audience share on 5 star whilst also building the Shar on channel 5 with neighbors and eggheads. 

• Like 1

Much as we expected with regards the Christmas break but nice to get confirmation. After speculation that the new News programme would launch on a Monday, turns out it is, just not the Monday we thought! It's odd to do this for just a few weeks but there we go. Like I said, I normally watch the lunchtime showing anyway, so it won't make much, if any, difference to me. And I'm not all that sensitive to picture quality either, so hopefully the majority won't notice the difference!

(And hopefully Channel 5 will do a decent job at pointing people to the right channel, so they don't all tune in on Monday and go "****ing Neighbours?!")

It's pointless.  So unless you can watch at lunchtime you have to find out a random, VHS-quality channel in the depths of the EPG that hardly anyone watches anyway whilst C5's favourite Aussie baby gets all the love and attention in 1080p HD at the same time.

Channel 5 should offer to relinquish their lifetime deal to another broadcaster if they don't want it.  ITV daytime is too lifestyle/quiz centric now to want it back, Channel 4 have Hollyoaks - maybe the BBC should take it on?