Channel 5 Transmission Discussion/Updates

630si

2 hours ago, Martin said:

That is pretty impressive figures for RTE, especially as they show each episode 3 times - once at lunchtime, once at 6.30pm and then again at the weekend (4 times if you also count RTE+1)

I think it helps that scheduling has been consistent since 1989 so even if people miss it they want to watch it as it has become a routine over so many years.

Home and Away has always been a very very popular show in Ireland :) Scheduling for sure plays a part. I don't know one person that doesn't say oh yeah that's still going but I haven't seen it for a while ( or have )  compared to the UK, were the usual response is, is that still going?! I thought that was long gone. Is Pippa still in it? 

Edited by Bri1231
Info

12 hours ago, Bri1231 said:

Home and Away has always been a very very popular show in Ireland :) Scheduling for sure plays a part. I don't know one person that doesn't say oh yeah that's still going but I haven't seen it for a while ( or have )  compared to the UK, were the usual response is, is that still going?! I thought that was long gone. Is Pippa still in it? 

That’s actually very true! I see so many comments on articles online saying “I didn’t know that was still on”

Nobody in Ireland says that as it’s so popular. To be over 1.5m streams ahead of its next biggest rival on the player is quite impressive for a country with 5 million people! 

Pre pandemic the cast would tour Ireland and do public appearances in nightclubs, pubs etc and it was quite lucrative for them! 

I text a friend of mine earlier and said “poor Marilyn” and she replied saying she had 5 on waiting for it to start and there was no sign of it! (She’s isolating so wouldn’t normally watch live) So I’m wondering if a lot of people still don’t know about the time slot change. 

Nahh I think channel 5 commission a lot of factual at 7 and in any event, I expect eastenders to have to move to 7 or itl really suffer. 

I think we are moving into a world where the soaps will be debuting on the relative apps such as itv hub, I player my5 etc slowly but surely. 

Yes, ITV's announcement today about extending their early evening news, disrupting their soap scheduling (moving Coronation Street out of the 7:30pm slot after 60 years!), echoes the recent changes on Channel 5 which disrupted Home and Away's scheduling.

In an age where most TV ratings are going down, TV executives obviously think the news is more popular than ever. It's probably down to Covid and the associated restrictions etc - more people have been watching the news in the past couple of years because the news has affected our daily lives more than ever before.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, 630si said:

It's broken in the media this evening that Neighbours has been axed. 

Could this be a move back to 6 on C5 for Home and Away? 

I did think that when I first heard the news but now I don’t think so. I think Five know soaps will now longer bring in the ratings they used to and are probably quite content with H&A being 5*’s highest rated show as it ticks all the boxes for them on there. 

9 hours ago, ter06 said:

I did think that when I first heard the news but now I don’t think so. I think Five know soaps will now longer bring in the ratings they used to and are probably quite content with H&A being 5*’s highest rated show as it ticks all the boxes for them on there. 

Yes on reflection I think you're correct. I think it's more likely the 1:15pm repeat time will be adjusted slightly (perhaps even to 1:45) as there's a gap there that will need to be filled. The main premier will stay on 5star, as you say ratings wise/advertising wise that probably keeps the lights on over there.. Then the channel may try new acquisitions 6-7 when eggheads isn't on.

1 hour ago, 630si said:

Yes on reflection I think you're correct. I think it's more likely the 1:15pm repeat time will be adjusted slightly (perhaps even to 1:45) as there's a gap there that will need to be filled. The main premier will stay on 5star, as you say ratings wise/advertising wise that probably keeps the lights on over there.. Then the channel may try new acquisitions 6-7 when eggheads isn't on.

Yes they could move it to Neighbours lunchtime slot and even do more to promote it as that will be a big gap in its lunchtime schedule.