Channel 5 Transmission Discussion/Updates

630si

15 hours ago, Bri1231 said:

The cast have been doing it on rotation. 

Really? On the versions I'm watching (unlike the previous HA versions and the new Neighbours versions), it's the same cast each time. Sophie Dillman and Patrick O'Connor (together) did a "From next week" announcement at the end of each episode last week, and this week has had Lynne McGranger, Ada Nicodemou and James Stewart announcing the new schedule every day so far this week. Prior to last week, they were just using the same bumpers they've been using all year with the previous schedule.

OHHHH ok so letting people who have already found and watched the show, know when and where else to find it ? 

5star might have something running and maybe across other Viacom channels I've noticed before when a big story comes up (like the impending UK season final) they run trailers over the digital channels so will keep a look out if they're doing it

19 hours ago, 630si said:

OHHHH ok so letting people who have already found and watched the show, know when and where else to find it ? 

5star might have something running and maybe across other Viacom channels I've noticed before when a big story comes up (like the impending UK season final) they run trailers over the digital channels so will keep a look out if they're doing it

Yeah but nobody watches 5 Star.  It's the main channel you need to promote on, and specifically make it clear how to find 5 Star.  Specifically, this needs to be done at the 6pm junction where I imagine the vast majority of people are wondering why Summer Bay has turned into Erinsborough.

Channel 5 haven't signposted the changes for Home and Away *at all* on socials (indeed, the last update relates to the Pandemic episode rationing) whereas Neighbours have had plenty of promo for the time change.

A lot of this is academic though, 5 Star isn't available to "Freeview Lite" viewers - in rural areas very few channels are carried and rural parts of the UK are notorious for slow broadband, so streaming isn't available either.  So if you're in a rural area, it's 1:15pm or bust.

Channel 5 have treated the show so badly it's unforgiveable and I still say this could be the beginning of the end for the show as a whole.  Say what you like about ITV but they never ever stooped this low.

Edited by James Martin
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, James Martin said:

I note that if you stream it, you now get a 5 STAR DOG instead of a Channel 5 one, even on this lunchtime's episode.

It is however HD via on demand - at least on Virgin it is.

That sounds promising for the first look episodes being available on My5 in hd. For example tonight's first look being available tonight in hd and those who watch C5 pace to watch in HD can get up to first look pace if they wanted. On hd without having to wait until after 2pm tomorrow. Much better and about time

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, 630si said:

That sounds promising for the first look episodes being available on My5 in hd. For example tonight's first look being available tonight in hd and those who watch C5 pace to watch in HD can get up to first look pace if they wanted. On hd without having to wait until after 2pm tomorrow. Much better and about time

No, it's today's (Monday's) Channel 5 episode, ending with the fake kidnap.  The episodes don't drop until they've been broadcast on Channel 5.  However, for whatever reason it carries a 5 STAR graphic.

Yes, I'm wondering if that episode actually dropped on My5 yesterday evening? And that's what's changed? And why you now get a 5star DOG?

Will keep a look out on My5 tonight after first look had aired to see if a new ep appears on My5 

If it hasn't changed and just the DOG has changed its all a bit of a mess.

Edited by 630si

Good question.  On Virgin it lists the TX as "Today 13:15".  I've just gone through the My5 app and again it lists the TX as today.

I'm just playing the same episode on the main app rather than the Virgin catchup system and there's no graphic at all now.  However it's not HD (or if it is, it's a lot softer) and got a weird filmic effect.

EDIT: It's only HD via Samsung smart TVs, Sky and Virgin! 

https://help.channel5.com/hc/en-gb/articles/200826431-Can-I-watch-HD-content-on-My5-#:~:text=High Definition (HD) content isn,also available on catch-up.

Well.  That really sucks!

So if you have Sky or Virgin, you should watch through their ecosystem, not the actual My5 app.  Not only do you get a better image though, you can fast forward through the ads (at least on Virgin.)

Same with ITV - catchup through Virgin is HD but if you use the actual ITV hub it's SD.

That said, My5 picture quality is a significant step up from 5 Star on Freeview.

They do indeed still upload to My5 after the 1:15 C5 showing so the 5star DOG is a messy one ?

This Friday is the last first look this year on 5star. (Well, technically not, as it returns Friday 31st Dec) so let's see if that upload pattern remains into next year! 

Edited by 630si