Channel 5 Transmission Discussion/Updates

630si

Keep saying it - WE know how to seek out Five Star but does the average Bruce or Shelia?  I spent half a day to one girl this week explaining that she couldn't plug a Freeview box into the Sky dish at her new but she could plug in a Freesat one (no aerial on the roof only a dish.) But her friend had told her you can "just get the Freeview channels" off the dish and wondered if she could "get an adaptor for the different hole." That's the level we're dealing with when it comes to multichannel.

I couldn't even tell you what channel number it is.  Whilst the teens are into "streaming" older folk especially don't do that, or EPGs etc.  They're from the generation where you pressed a button on a remote, especially those who've never had satellite or cable and have only ever consumed their television via an aerial.

Home and Away should be getting 1m minimum, it's far better produced than its Melbourne rival but doesn't get the credit for it here.

• Sad 1

Monday 15th Nov First look on 5star drew in 566,115 viewers. Wouldn't be surprised if that's the highest first look rating? 

All others rest of week above 400k with weds as exception. Feels better. In a few weeks we will have the officials in (+28day ratings) 

The same Monday episode 4 weeks prior was at 350,700 in the official ratings. Just for comparison. 

Edited by 630si
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

One thing I've only just realised.

Channel 5 here and Network Ten in Oz have the same owners.  As we know, Ten shunted Neighbours off to Ten's equivalent of Five Star.  So it's rather in ViacomCBS' interests to chuck their Aussie child's rival firmly under the bus.

I mean even Stevie Wonder should have seen THAT coming but I didn't! ?

Kept meaning to post this in here and keep forgetting.

The show returns to Channel 5 Monday 3rd January at 2pm.(Evening showings on 5Star are as normal.)It returns to the normal 1.15pm slot for the rest of the week.So, it would seem no change to the lunchtime showing at present.

1 hour ago, Red Ranger 1 said:

Kept meaning to post this in here and keep forgetting.

The show returns to Channel 5 Monday 3rd January at 2pm.(Evening showings on 5Star are as normal.)It returns to the normal 1.15pm slot for the rest of the week.So, it would seem no change to the lunchtime showing at present.

5star kicking off this Friday 31st December still do you know? 

• 3 weeks later...

Not technically Channel 5 related, but we have discussed 5 vs RTE in here.

RTE have released their most streamed shows of 2021 on RTE player and H&A was number one and massively ahead of Eastenders which was number 2.

1. Home and Away 4.89 million 
2. Eastenders 3.52 million 
3. Fair City 3.39 million 
4. UEFA Cup 2020 2.5 million 
5. Line of Duty 2.48 million 

• Like 1

That is pretty impressive figures for RTE, especially as they show each episode 3 times - once at lunchtime, once at 6.30pm and then again at the weekend (4 times if you also count RTE+1)

I think it helps that scheduling has been consistent since 1989 so even if people miss it they want to watch it as it has become a routine over so many years.