Channel 5 Transmission Discussion/Updates

630si

1 hour ago, Bri1231 said:

It is such a shame that they have bumped Home and Away at 6pm instead of its bland counterpart Neighbours. It has been a main staple at 6pm but I kind of knew that would happen. They really do treat the show with a pinch of salt ( at the least ). I will now move to the RTE airings instead which are shown exactly as in Australia. Zero edits. They also treat the show and its loyal fans and have always kept it at 6.30pm from the very beginning. Also, Neighbours has always from the very beginning aired at 5.30 in the UK. It will be interesting to see how this pans out. 

I think ITV did that because they were in a bad mood. Lol ?

I watched a few episodes on RTE when home in Ireland recently and they don’t show the promos which I really enjoyed. Don’t get me wrong, I am all for showing a promo when it’s a big story but all we get is a few scenes usually resolving the cliffhanger we have just seen and it ruins it .

Anyway, back on topic and the important thing to remember is Five are legally obliged to show Home and Away for as long as it’s made so it’s not going anywhere. 

Very disappointing news but not unexpected, H&A has always been the unloved older sibling since Neighbours arrived.

I hope this isn't the end for the show overall... the UK deal has always funded most of Seven's production costs.

The argument is yes, you've got 5* but the picture quality is atrocious.  All that said, the majority of the audience profile will have access to My5 and watch it there.

11 hours ago, Red Ranger 1 said:

I seem to remember ITV pulled their evening showing towards the end of Home and Away's time on the channel? (Not that I'm suggesting that's the reason here!)

Some regions dropped the lunchtime showing I believe, but the evening showing stayed until the end.

I think they're hoping to bolster the share of the lunchtime and the 5star first look (which by the way is basically the only thing that gets any viewers on 5star) especially now that Wentworth is ending. 

Here are the top rated programmes on 5star week commencing 6th sept 

1. Home and Away 389,568

2. Home and Away 373,491

3. Home and Away 364,900

4. Home and Away 350.926

5. Wentworth Prison 306,616

6. Home and Away 290,447

Next in line was a film at 168,000 

So home and away doubles most other shows on 5star. And this is often higher than the 6pm repeat. 

Really, they will be hoping they can push this 5star figure above 500,000 and rake more money in as there's 2 advert breaks on the first look showing. 

Thinking about it, they could soften the blow for us here by announcing home and away will catch up with aus pace on 5star. Imagine that! 

Edited by 630si

If 5* is outrating the C5 6pm then I guess it's a no brainer.  Furthermore, if you consider the popularity of Love Island as an example, are most of the audience going to be bothered about SD only?  I doubt it.  I'm at my dad's right now and he's watching the Ryder Cup on a 75in telly... in SD.  He doesn't notice the difference when I turn it over for him!

I have access to RTÉ Two in HD so I'll personally seek it out there.

But for most for HD you either need to be retired or unemployed!  Is the My5 version in HD these days?

3 minutes ago, James Martin said:

If 5* is outrating the C5 6pm then I guess it's a no brainer.  Furthermore, if you consider the popularity of Love Island as an example, are most of the audience going to be bothered about SD only?  I doubt it.  I'm at my dad's right now and he's watching the Ryder Cup on a 75in telly... in SD.  He doesn't notice the difference when I turn it over for him!

I have access to RTÉ Two in HD so I'll personally seek it out there.

But for most for HD you either need to be retired or unemployed!  Is the My5 version in HD these days?

Yeah My5 is HD so it's not a big deal. It's the perception that others have of the show being moved that seems to be the biggest deal haha

I have emailed channel 5 asking if they're going to be advertising the changes for Home and Away and not just neighbours and also if they would consider this as an opportunity to catch 5 star upto AUS pace. Let's see what **** and bull I get hahaha

Edited by 630si

13 minutes ago, 630si said:

I have emailed channel 5 asking if they're going to be advertising the changes for Home and Away and not just neighbours and also if they would consider this as an opportunity to catch 5 star upto AUS pace. Let's see what **** and bull I get hahaha

They are never going to catch up with Aus pace. Especially not the way Channel 7 broadcasts it. So it'll probably be the standard (and not entirely untrue) "It's in our best interests to have a gap with Australia" response.

It's a demotion no two ways about it, in the way Neighbours is on a brand extension channel in Australia.

I knew something was up when the teatime showing got junked during the Covid rationing rather than alternating the two shows at 6pm or 5.30pm.  Clearly an experiment but with WFH Orders and Furlough over it's different now...

A catchup with Australia is off the cards though as has been said, Seven's bizarre scheduling makes that impossible.

What would help is if C5 made their spinoff channels HD on premium Sky/Virgin/IPTV packages, where ITV and C4 make their extra channels available in HD (and until recently was the only way to watch C5 in HD!)

I can only assume they're betting the farm on the teenage audience streaming it, which they will do.  Not sure the 5* ratings will get the boost they're expecting when they're up against Hollyoaks - probably the closest thing to a British H&A.

Edited by James Martin
Incomplete sentence

On 25/09/2021 at 08:06, 630si said:

If they made it available on My5 right after at 7pm that would be fine as it's be in hd on there and I will just watch that. But you're not going to watch it in SD when you have an HD option elsewhere. That's my thoughts anyway haha

Ha, same thoughts here. Tbh I will most probably just set up my series link to record the show at 1.15pm and then just do my usual sit down and watch at 7pm. We aren't loosing the show completely, thank god! Just wish they had bumped Neighbours instead. Ha 

On 25/09/2021 at 15:48, James Martin said:

I can only assume they're betting the farm on the teenage audience streaming it, which they will do.  Not sure the 5* ratings will get the boost they're expecting when they're up against Hollyoaks - probably the closest thing to a British H&A.

Well, it probably helps that anyone that's likely to watch the 5* First Look showing at 6.30pm will probably also be watching the Hollyoaks E4 First Look showing at 7pm!