Channel 5 Transmission Discussion/Updates

630si

I don't think it's a given Home and Away will get the 6pm slot back.  If anything it would make sense to rejig things to have the premiere at 7pm and do away with First Look.

I'm personally not convinced C5 are exactly happy at being stuck with H&A.  It wouldn't surprise me if they tried to find a way out of it at some point.

Also... is this not a bizarre U Turn from Channel 5?  They sacrificed Home & Away's 6pm slot in favour of Neighbours, and now are dropping Neighbours anyway?  They must have known this was coming down the track.  The damage has been done to Home & Away now, you won't get those lost evening viewers back.

Apparently Neighbours costs C5 £21m a year compared to the £3m it pays for Home & Away.

The best course of action would be to move Home & Away to 7pm when Emmerdale moves, market the absolute hell out of it and renegotiate with Seven to show episodes in the UK on their originally intended Aus airdate.  If Seven pace falls behind as a result of the bat**** scheduling in Aus well, that's their problem.

Although all that said, is being far behind Oz such a big deal?  We all watch streaming shows at our own pace and spoilers aren't an issue there...

11 hours ago, James Martin said:

Also... is this not a bizarre U Turn from Channel 5?  They sacrificed Home & Away's 6pm slot in favour of Neighbours, and now are dropping Neighbours anyway?  They must have known this was coming down the track.  The damage has been done to Home & Away now, you won't get those lost evening viewers back.

Apparently Neighbours costs C5 £21m a year compared to the £3m it pays for Home & Away.

The best course of action would be to move Home & Away to 7pm when Emmerdale moves, market the absolute hell out of it and renegotiate with Seven to show episodes in the UK on their originally intended Aus airdate.  If Seven pace falls behind as a result of the bat**** scheduling in Aus well, that's their problem.

Although all that said, is being far behind Oz such a big deal?  We all watch streaming shows at our own pace and spoilers aren't an issue there...

They must have had an idea this was about to happen when they moved both shows. I can’t see them spending money on marketing H&A or doing a deal for it to air on the same day as Australia. Even if they had any interest in the show, which it does’t seem like they do, Seven’s scheduling is far too erratic. I think they are probably happy with the shows performance on 5* and will leave it plod along on there.

Edited by ter06

13 hours ago, James Martin said:

I don't think there really are any originally intended Aus airdates, and if there are, then they bear so little resemblance to reality that the danger isn't just the UK falling behind again but the UK getting ahead of Aus: Channel 10 might be desperate enough for money to let Channel 5 plough ahead with showing episodes of Neighbours they haven't broadcast, but Seven, where Home and Away's still a success, are unlikely to do the same. I think the current set-up works well for everyone.

As to whether we'll get an evening Channel 5 showing back...time will tell.

7 minutes ago, Red Ranger 1 said:

I don't think there really are any originally intended Aus airdates, and if there are, then they bear so little resemblance to reality that the danger isn't just the UK falling behind again but the UK getting ahead of Aus: Channel 10 might be desperate enough for money to let Channel 5 plough ahead with showing episodes of Neighbours they haven't broadcast, but Seven, where Home and Away's still a success, are unlikely to do the same. I think the current set-up works well for everyone.

As to whether we'll get an evening Channel 5 showing back...time will tell.

Yes this exactly. The 5 deal is actually a very good deal for all. C5 pay very little for the rights and so being same day etc really doesn't make a bit of difference and the shows 5star outing probably more than covers the cost. 

We have the added protection as fans, that the show is still a hit at home and in other territories.  Eighbours relied solely on the UK market and I think many didn't realise this. 

I think they will still market the show, they are now. There's an advert currently running across the digital channels for daytime on 5star which includes Home and Away. I think they will be happy with the current scheduling with the repeat aired at lunch the next day, perhaps even counting on some folks switching soaps to get their sunshine fix. As you say time will tell but the lunchtime repeat for H&A still has a 10 - 12% audience share most days so performs well anyway. 

• Like 1

Just to add to this, I know with some die hard fans, emotions are high, and there's a lot of nostalgia about online from folk who dont watch soaps, but I think channel 5 are getting an unfair amount of flack. At some point, the eye watering money spent on the other show would catch upto it. They need to make the numbers work right? Network 10 shunted it a decade ago, and should accept some of that responsibility. 

OK back on topic for home and away C5 scheduling now haha.... 

The issue with Neighbours specifically is that it's basically made for the UK market and has been for years, so much so Channel 5 can include it in its UK Production quota with Ofcom!  What's happened down under is basically a mirror of what Channel 5 have done to Home & Away here and shunted it off to a spinoff channel.  It's only costing the network £3m a year to show, either because the Seven Network pick up most of the production tab, or the show has more international deals than Neighbours does.  So despite having a "Lifetime Deal" it's able to stay providing lunchtime filler on the main channel and an anchor show on 5 Star, and still earn its keep for the network.

36 minutes ago, Dan F said:

For the moment at least, C5 are confirming Home and Away is safe

https://www.backtothebay.net/news/2022/02/08/channel-5-confirms-commitment-to-home-and-away/

Think we all expected this as we all know about the life of series deal and the shift of focus to 5star etc. It's good that they've put this out there for the general wider audience to reassure them

• Like 1