Channel 5 Transmission Discussion/Updates

630si

It's available in HD at lunchtime and in HD at any time you like on demand. You are very likely in the minority if you sit down at 6pm every night at this day and age ñ. The reality is, more viewers watch the show at lunchtime and more viewers watch the 5star firstook too. It's more profitable for C5 to consolidate more of us to 5star or lunchtime where the show still has advertiser's willing to pay (they haven't at 6pm for years now) and strengthen their audience share of both channels. 

5star is launching in HD on that new sky glass TV so maybe it will change on other platforms too.

However, at 6pm you can watch on catch up in hd if you like for now. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, James Martin said:

It's pointless.  So unless you can watch at lunchtime you have to find out a random, VHS-quality channel in the depths of the EPG that hardly anyone watches anyway whilst C5's favourite Aussie baby gets all the love and attention in 1080p HD at the same time.

Well, if the amount of frames per second is really essential to your viewing of the show, do you really have no way other than a VHS tape to record the lunchtime showing? No Sky Plus or Freeview Recorder or anything? No access to My5 or way of viewing it on your fancy widescreen telly?

Otherwise, yeah, just watch it on 5Star in Standard definition. I'm really not sure why that's so bad an option.

2 hours ago, 630si said:

It's available in HD at lunchtime and in HD at any time you like on demand. You are very likely in the minority if you sit down at 6pm every night at this day and age ñ. The reality is, more viewers watch the show at lunchtime and more viewers watch the 5star firstook too. It's more profitable for C5 to consolidate more of us to 5star or lunchtime where the show still has advertiser's willing to pay (they haven't at 6pm for years now) and strengthen their audience share of both channels. 

5star is launching in HD on that new sky glass TV so maybe it will change on other platforms too.

However, at 6pm you can watch on catch up in hd if you like for now. 

Is lunchtime really outrating evenings?  Aren't people at work, school, college etc?

As for streaming, My5 doesn't seem to be talked about as a household brand like BBC iPlayer or ITV Hub are, and a lot of Smart TVs don't carry it (compared to iPlayer which seems to run on absolutely everything.) Do people know it's there is my question?

It could be detrimental to the entire show if it loses its UK audience because of this, though I concede Neighbours is more vulnerable in that regard.  Without a UK deal, Ten won't make the show.

6 minutes ago, James Martin said:

Is lunchtime really outrating evenings?  Aren't people at work, school, college etc?

As for streaming, My5 doesn't seem to be talked about as a household brand like BBC iPlayer or ITV Hub are, and a lot of Smart TVs don't carry it (compared to iPlayer which seems to run on absolutely everything.) Do people know it's there is my question?

It could be detrimental to the entire show if it loses its UK audience because of this, though I concede Neighbours is more vulnerable in that regard.  Without a UK deal, Ten won't make the show.

Yep, 

Latest ratings for week 11th Oct -17th Oct 

1:15pm: 11th Oct:  394,000

1:15pm: 12th Oct: 365,000

1:15pm: 13th Oct: 358,000

No 6pm showing made the C5 top 50. (I imagine they're just outside of the top 50 as before eggheads started they were there, so are probably doing about 300k at 6pm) 

5star ratings are basically a mirror of the lunchtimes above. Infact, recently they've been over 450k I imagine if C5 can get enough people over to 5star of an evening we might be looking at over 500k for first look, dare I say even 600k. I think they can pull it off. Providing they actually tell people.

That's amazing.  I genuinely didn't know 5* was picking up that level of audience.

I'm not sure of the point of keeping the 6pm encore against Neighbours mind you, I can't see it rating that well with First Look half an hour later.

Only thing that bothers me is it's up against Hollyoaks at 6.30.  I know they also have First Look on E4 but that must get floored by Emmerdale?

To be honest if an evening showing on the main channel isn't an option I'd be looking what what the BBC and ITV did with their soaps during the footy, and dropping the entire block on My5 on a Monday morning. 

I'll admit I'm a bit of a dinosaur with television; maybe it's because I live on my own but I like the shared experience of watching a linear broadcast knowing lots of other people are watching with me.  I find streaming programmes a lonely, isolating experience because nobody else is watching it at that pace, only me.

I also don’t see the point of the 6pm viewing on 5Star. Anyone know what the figures for Home and Away on My5 are?

Can see why 5 pulled it from 6pm with those ratings. I have always thought it would make more sense for the main showing to have been at 6pm and the repeat at 1.15pm

17 hours ago, ter06 said:

I also don’t see the point of the 6pm viewing on 5Star. Anyone know what the figures for Home and Away on My5 are?

Can see why 5 pulled it from 6pm with those ratings. I have always thought it would make more sense for the main showing to have been at 6pm and the repeat at 1.15pm

Used to be like that but they changed it to fit around Neighbours, quelle suprise.

I mean that's basically how it'll play out with 6:30 the main showing now in effect.  The 6pm showing had a point on 5 as that was HD, and so you could get your first look on 5* but SD was the compromise.  Before that, not all homes had access to 5*/Life/Fiver etc.  But to have an encore screening, against Neighbours, 30 minutes before a new episode, makes no sense.

1 hour ago, James Martin said:

Used to be like that but they changed it to fit around Neighbours, quelle suprise.

I mean that's basically how it'll play out with 6:30 the main showing now in effect.  The 6pm showing had a point on 5 as that was HD, and so you could get your first look on 5* but SD was the compromise.  Before that, not all homes had access to 5*/Life/Fiver etc.  But to have an encore screening, against Neighbours, 30 minutes before a new episode, makes no sense.

To be honest, none of the scheduling has made sense for a while. Neighbours was on 5 at 5.30pm, 5STAR at 6pm, and 5+1 at 6.30pm.

I wonder if they found Neighbours at 6pm on 5STAR was rating more than Home and Away at 6pm on 5 and switched. It will hopefully consolidate some of the viewers.

Channel 5 have been almost sacrosanct about keeping the timeslots and format they inherited from BBC One until now.  Of course, they were lucky they didn't have to wait to pick the series up.

I imagine more of the issue is, as always, money.  We know Channel 5 are paying far more than the BBC did for Neighbours - Freemantle wanted a big increase and the BBC couldn't justify spending that amount of public money on an import.  We also know Channel 5 pay less than ITV did for Home & Away - but have paid for a lifetime deal.  So Neighbours is always going to be top dog as they need it to earn its keep more than H&A.