Channel 5 Transmission Discussion/Updates

630si

On 12/09/2023 at 19:01, James Martin said:

With Neighbours, my understanding was it was weekly drops of four.  Incidentally, RTÉ are also resuming a linear showing in Ireland, on top of Australia screening it linearly on the Ten Network.

I'm unsure whether Irish viewers will access the show though Amazon Freevee, or the RTÉ Player?

With Hollyoaks, I understand Channel 4 is available in Ireland, I don't believe RTÉ or Virgin have that?

RTE is available on all platforms in Northern Ireland and of course available across the board on many platforms across the Republic. So Neighbours will have a full linear viewing across Ireland. As for Northern Ireland, it will be in the unique position of being the only place in the UK to get a linear viewing. Home and Away is blocked in Northern Ireland via all platforms other than OTT, due to C5 having the UK rights. Although edits are very minimal compared to ITV days, RTE has always shown Home and Away clean cut from Australia, rated PS. 

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like the UK (and consequently Ireland) breaks for Christmas a bit earlier this year, on Friday 17th November.  Once again, Seven are writing in a major storyline to give the UK & Ireland their own season finale cliffhanger.  I assume it's unlikely we'll get any closer to Australia whilst this arrangement stands, as the show needs a decent amount time between two major events (a storyline for the UK and then the big one for Australia itself) late in the year.

Assuming transmission resumes on New Year's Day, that gives us a six-week break.  I wonder, though, if they'll start Channel 5 on Tuesday 2nd and put the blocks in-sync on 5 Star instead?

That matches pretty much exactly what happened last year, when the UK went on a break on Friday 18th November and returned on Monday 2nd January. I'm reluctant to make predictions because a lot of things happen that I don't see coming, but I would be very very surprised if Channel 5 chose to get the blocks out of synch in order to big up the First Look showing. I seem to remember going into a panic a few years back about them doing something like that, when the blocks ended up out of synch following Prince Philip's death, but they did it right. Even Hollyoaks has kept the blocks on the main channel up until the point it was dropped.

On 27/09/2023 at 00:26, James Martin said:

I suppose with Hollyoaks, though, the main channel had a primetime showing.

Channel 5 only has a lunchtime outing.  I imagine it's a decent leadin for the movies.

Which are invariably crap lol.  Then it *is* C5 we're talking about ? (Everything decent they get is either cancelled or lost to other networks)

On 12/09/2023 at 19:19, Dan F said:

Daily eps dropping at 7am Monday-Thursday

I usually keep the traditionally 5:30 slot for myself though. Force of habit.?

53 minutes ago, CaptainHulk said:

Which are invariably crap lol.  Then it *is* C5 we're talking about ? (Everything decent they get is either cancelled or lost to other networks)

I usually keep the traditionally 5:30 slot for myself though. Force of habit.?

7pm for me lol ? a double then a triple 

14 hours ago, James Martin said:

Quick correction... am I right in saying Ireland run one day behind the UK?

Yes I think they do. When there was a time they actually aired same day, and once by accident a day ahead of Seven, RTE now must not air an episode a second before channel 5 and remain one episode behind. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...