Channel 5 Transmission Discussion/Updates

630si

It seems like we are getting total clean copies with these special episodes, break bumpers used exactly as they would be for Australian commercial breaks, more specifically the final two minutes one and also the channel seven website listed on the end credits.

Jack and Martha's wedding. Watching these episodes brings back so many memories. I remember who I was with and were when the majority of these first aired. Looking forward to the next ones. 

• 3 weeks later...

I remember sometime mid 2004, I remember this because of the apartment I had just moved into, the channel 5 announcer said "Now on channel five Home and Away and viewers might notice something a little different about the show today". That's always stuck in my head. So I am sure it was something to do with the way they filmed it or that it was sent to five in HD because the picture looked totally different from the previous week? That has always stuck in my head so vividly. As for the end credits are later eps on 7plus showing the international credits because it wasn't long after that that seven moved to generic right ? 

Yes, the switch to HD hit British screens in early 2004.  Although it wasn't broadcast as such here, it did come with a switch from 50i to 25p, so suddenly episodes ha# "filmic effect." Believe it coincided with the last iteration of the underwater credits where the stop-frames of the characters came towards you then defocussed.

The new ITV X is only 25p not 50p, so watch something like Emmerdale and the effect is there too.

7+ episodes are international credits.

• 7 months later...

An interesting development elsewhere today - Hollyoaks will come off Channel 4 on weeknights.  Instead the 7pm showing on E4 becomes the "main" showing with "First Look" moving to Streaming.

Good news for Home & Away, but I wonder if they'll follow suit, with the blocks moving in-sync on 5 Star and My5 being the home of First Look?  AIUI E4 was outrating C4 by 3:1, helped by Emmerdale being moved.

I didn't realise they were changing the blocks. I guess the equivalent is Home and Away dropping the sole remaining Channel 5 showing and having the 6pm 5Star showing be the "main" one. I do think Hollyoaks was a bit ahead of the pack, since for several months now they've been dropping the week's episodes online on Monday, meaning even the E4 "First Look" showings have become secondary.Home and Away has moved slightly in that direction by having episodes available online as soon as they're shown on 5Star in the 6.30pm slot.

I must admit, I've been watching the show on 5Star at 6pm for the last few weeks thanks to changes in my working hours and not really thought that much about the fact it's not the main channel.

Yes, E4 will show the blocks properly rather than be a day ahead (a bit like how 5 Star operated after Prince Phillip's death moved everything back a day in 2021) instead.

Personally that's how I'd do it; have 5 Star show the blocks in sync at 6:30pm with the main channel the "repeat" the following lunchtime, then do away with the 6pm on 5* entirely.  Having a weekly drop on My5 sounds like a good shout too.  Given that's how Neighbours is going to work, it's inevitable Home & Away will follow.

I suppose the 7+ factor is why Seven can get away with the bat**** scheduling in Australia.  I'm surprised they're not doing a morning drop of episodes yet.

With Neighbours, my understanding was it was weekly drops of four.  Incidentally, RTÉ are also resuming a linear showing in Ireland, on top of Australia screening it linearly on the Ten Network.

I'm unsure whether Irish viewers will access the show though Amazon Freevee, or the RTÉ Player?

With Hollyoaks, I understand Channel 4 is available in Ireland, I don't believe RTÉ or Virgin have that?