Channel 5 Transmission Discussion/Updates

630si

7 hours ago, James Martin said:

Interestingly although the picture does seem a bit "soft" the 5 Star showing via Virgin is significantly better quality than 5 Star "linear". Not sure what it's like for Sky.

I know Sky Glass and Sky Stream get 5 Star in HD.  Virgin definitely doesn't.

5 Star linear and My5 are bad picture wise. My5 being dire. On Sky Q it [ 5S ] doesn't look too bad but you can still notice that it's not HD.

I haven't watched the show on any linear channel since 5 dropped the 6pm, as I used to record it and then watch it at 7pm, more suitable time for me, and in blocks. But I have seen it on occasion in a friends house on 5STAR and My5. My5 looks like we are back to the rabbit ears for signal lol. Horrendous. 

Edited by Bri1231
Info added

3 hours ago, Bri1231 said:

5 Star linear and My5 are bad picture wise. My5 being dire. On Sky Q it [ 5S ] doesn't look too bad but you can still notice that it's not HD.

I haven't watched the show on any linear channel since 5 dropped the 6pm, as I used to record it and then watch it at 7pm, more suitable time for me, and in blocks. But I have seen it on occasion in a friends house on 5STAR and My5. My5 looks like we are back to the rabbit ears for signal lol. Horrendous. 

The further we go FWD w/ tech, the further we go back lol.

On 31/10/2023 at 09:25, Bri1231 said:

My5 on a computer is HD, oddly - as is the feed of 5 Star!  My5 does have some content in HD via Sky and Virgin, but you have to access the content through your provider's interface, not go into the app.

ITV and Channel 4 used to work like this but because you can fast forward through the ads, they've followed the BBC in forcing you into the app - which is fine as both ITV X and Channel 4 Streaming are HD now.  Channel 5 haven't gone there yet.

Big announcement guys. The UK winter finale will air on Channel 5 at 1pm on Friday November 17th and on 5STAR there are no episodes on that date. 

Channel 5 Friday 1pm Winter finale

5STAR Thursday at 6.30pm 

Just a few weeks remaining. 

On 02/11/2023 at 12:30, James Martin said:

My5 on a computer is HD, oddly - as is the feed of 5 Star!  My5 does have some content in HD via Sky and Virgin, but you have to access the content through your provider's interface, not go into the app.

ITV and Channel 4 used to work like this but because you can fast forward through the ads, they've followed the BBC in forcing you into the app - which is fine as both ITV X and Channel 4 Streaming are HD now.  Channel 5 haven't gone there yet.

Has My5 recently gone HD on Sky now then? I need to check. Thanks :) As I download the episodes from 5STAR, and in bulk lol, I thought let me watch it using my5. More space on my sky planner, but it was in SD and looked dire. But this was last year so will check that out. 

5STAR definitely has been streaming in HD since the launch of sky glass so I guess that makes sense. 

Channel 5 need to pull their HD finger out across the board !! 

Edited by Bri1231

Do we think we will get a refreshed opening, with underscore, etc, when the season premiere airs in March? It's been five years since the last refresh now. I'm not fussed at all on the music they use now. 2007 to 2017 had the best music during recaps, IMHO.  As for the closing credits, well, what else can they do with those now? I haven't even seen them in about four years bar a few seconds, and as I've said before im all for 7+ style closing ( in house seven promos would be even better but one can dream eh? Lol )

What do you guys think? Are we in for a refresh? 

• 2 weeks later...