Lucy Addario Interview

Guest Jadelyns

I loved that answer where she said something along the lines of 'The River Boys are essential in providing contrast to the 'LIGHT' of the rest of Summer Bay'.... hahaha, what a joke.

As for nothing requiring change (following Cam's awful stint)... I will never take her seriously as a producer, because she's either a shoe- kisser, deluded or someone with no imagination or drive.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lucy's interview was the worst interview I've ever read in terms of soaps interviews. I can't believe she won't give Alf, Irene and Marilyn big storylines :(

She doesn't seem to care about the history of the show which is frustrating. I really hope Lucy will allow Home And Away to celebrate their 25th anniversary and they have to do something.

Lucy's interview was the worst interview I've ever read in terms of soaps interviews. I can't believe she won't give Alf, Irene and Marilyn big storylines :(

She doesn't seem to care about the history of the show which is frustrating. I really hope Lucy will allow Home And Away to celebrate their 25th anniversary and they have to do something.

I tweeted Lynne McGranger about how it's Irene's 60th next year and also the 25th anniversary of Home and Away... she said she would most certainly pass on my suggestions to the producers.

I think stonewalling, diverting or just generally trying to give postiive or pleasing soundbites doesn't work, if you use it constantly Sometimes admitting there might be an issue and *genuinely* following through with it can give you greater esteem. Whilst I can be scathing if I want to be because I'm merely a viewer, Lucy may not be able to give us the answers we all want to hear. I will accept that more than a nothing answer. Had she said "We don't have any special plans for the 25th anniversary", well that wouldn't have been my way of doing it, but if I wanted to be able to be in control maybe I should have chosen Creative Writing as my degree. But she says nothing except being proud of the past etc, but also looking to the future.

Longer term readers of the site may remember my TV Weak column, where I previewed an upcoming storyline, using nothing phrases like "Something huge is about to hit the Bay", "Lives will be changed forever" and an actress saying it had been "demanding material" without even once hinting at all what was going to happen.

Unfortunately the producers seem to have bought into this way of talking. As fans, occasionally we just want straight answers, as we are in some ways we are the customers. One of the more overwhelming POV seems to be that fans would rather 30 seconds of credits each day than 30 seconds worth more storyline. Those involved need to remember that this isn't a vanity for themselves, they are almost providing a service for their viewers. If you go on ignoring what people say, ridiculing them, treating them as idiots or believe they have no value, then, as Gerald Ratner found, the customers is king and they can will eventually decide whether if you sink or swim. You could have the most incredibly written show, but if no one watches it you'll sink.

Now I'm not presumptious enough to believe that my view is the only view, it might not even be the majority view, but you've got to take on these opinions as if they have some merit. And also there's points I agree with. Summer Bay House should have a family with kids there. It's almost as if it's become a boarding house for some older members of the cast.

A lot of the shows storylines can appear to have genuine substance at some points, but a lot of the time the execution is what is failing. We've storylines that are build up through horribly tacky promos (though this is probably a Seven directive), a cast that feels fractured, with ill-defined and forever rotating friendships and relationships and within a few weeks it feels as if it's consigned to the history bin.

I agree with everything you've said there Ryan. I'd quite happily lose 30 seconds of drama a night if it meant we got the theme tune each evening. I think 95% of this forum would agree.

Worried, more than anything, that the 25th isn't getting celebrated on screen. I couldn't see Bevan Lee or John Holmes further up the food chain allowing it to pass by. I'm not quite sure Lucy Addario is the right person to plot an anniversary storyline though - the impression I get is she doesn't understand the show's history.

Vinnie surely has to be completely, utterly, without a doubt, dead. I believed it first time round, but if the "real" death was a cover-up like the prison fire was, I think that's a jump the shark moment.

I'm not quite sure Lucy Addario is the right person to plot an anniversary storyline though - the impression I get is she doesn't understand the show's history.

This is the impression I get. It feels like she knows what Home and Away is and has been as of from recent history, around 2009-onwards, but other than that it appears to be that she doesn't really know what H&A is, especially when she refers to 'light and shade'. She chose the wrong word when saying there was a 'balance' of light and shade. There isn't balance.

It's frustrating when they've obviously got someone producing the show who really doesn't know how to produce Home and Away. Same as Cam Welsh. As far as I can see the show will continue down this new path now going forward because each producer seems to just follow on or bounce off the last one. Unless a producer from the past comes in to refine and shape Home and Away, as a 2012 version of Home and Away.

Lucy's interview was the worst interview I've ever read in terms of soaps interviews. I can't believe she won't give Alf, Irene and Marilyn big storylines :(as

I tweeted Lynne McGranger about how it's Irene's 60th next year and also the 25th anniversary of Home and Away... she said she would most certainly pass on my suggestions to the producers.

I think Irene's 60th would be a great idea and not only because she has been on the show for most of its run.

It would be a perfect way to bring characters back as only 10 regular characters have never met Irene!

Tom (But he is dead anyway)

Lyn (There is a good chance she will never return)

Neville (But he is dead anyway)

Viv (But she is hardly a memorable character)

Emma (But she could still return to see her Uncle Alf and meet her cousin Roo who is sort of her cousin)

Grant (probably wont return as he is a busy actor)

Ben (He wont return as Julian is far too busy in US)

Karen (She has never returned yet so I dont see her returning this time)

Lucinda (Doubt she would return due to how the actress left)

But all other 200 or so regulars who have appeared on the show over the last 24 years have met Irene.

Lynne deseves some credit and theres no doubt in my mind that if Lynne was cast as an original character in 1988 then she would still be here today.

I don't think Cameron Welsh was as bad as his reputation here. In my opinion he oversaw the biggest improvement in production quality the show has ever seen, with better, lighter, more realistic sets and improved picture quality between 2009-10. I think the decline in storytelling quality and characterisation during that period is mainly down to the Script Producer of the time, especially through late 2008 and during 2009, and then from mid-way through 2011. When talented Script Producers such as Bevan Lee (first 6ish months of 2008) and Jason Daniel (first 6 months of 2011) have been in charge, the show has been sensational. Having said that, as Series Producer one of his responsibilities must be to employ talented Script Producers, and with and Louise Bowes (mid-2011 to present) he has failed.

I would prefer to have him in charge than Lucy Addario from what I can tell, but I wonder if Julie McGauran would return as Series Producer. It's just a shame she is head of drama at 7 rather than in this position.

Well I'm getting dejavu. Neighbours, in its 24th year in 2009, heading down the pan because its Producer wouldn't accept that her vision for the show sucked. 25th year and moved to a digital channel. Only just recovering from what happened to it. Home and Away, in its 24th year in 2012, heading down the pan because its Producer won't accept that her vision for the show sucks. 25th year soon and...

Well lets see what happens. I just hope it doesn't have to go down the same road as Neighbours for someone to finally accept a change is needed.

Archived