Lucy Addario Interview

Guest Jadelyns

Home and Away still regularly makes the Top 10 shows of the day. But it certainly isn't as big as shows like Packed To The Rafters/Winners and Losers.

That alone should tell the writers something.What do both of those shows have in common that HAA hasn't for a very long time?

More viewers?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Home and Away still regularly makes the Top 10 shows of the day. But it certainly isn't as big as shows like Packed To The Rafters/Winners and Losers.

That alone should tell the writers something.What do both of those shows have in common that HAA hasn't for a very long time?

More viewers?

Well yes but besides that lol.They both have storylines that people can relate to with likable characters.They aren't glorifying crime and playing cops and robbers every week.And they don't treat marriage like it's some kind of joke.

I'm not sure if I was wise in doing this but I did it anyway. I tweeted this topic to Lucy Addario and she replied rather quickly! I said that maybe she should check out BTTB and that a growing number of fans are looking for a less crime and sleaze orientated format. She said, "thanks for your feedback".

I'm not sure if I was wise in doing this but I did it anyway. I tweeted this topic to Lucy Addario and she replied rather quickly! I said that maybe she should check out BTTB and that a growing number of fans are looking for a less crime and sleaze orientated format. She said, "thanks for your feedback".

BIB :lol: . I'm glad she replied, but I hope she actually reads through this thread and understands that we're not just sitting here moaning because we've got nothing better to do. There are some fundamental problems with the current format that are being ignored in favour of a short-term fad.

• 3 weeks later...

The thing you have to understand about Home and Away is that its a soap opera so the treating marriage like a joke and crime stuff is a part of the genre. Home and Away is on 5 nights a week for roughly 46 weeks a year. there are roughly 220 episodes a year that they have to produce so comparing it to Packed to the Rafter and Winners and Loses is like comparing action to comedy. They are almost completely different. I agree that Home and Away does focus a little to much on crime and mainly the Braxtons but i don't think that its that they're giving the Braxtons to much is just they're not giving other characters enough. Remember that every 'era' is kinda divided into the 'main' family. It used to be the Sullivans then the Hunters and now the Braxtons, although i think that the Walkers should be more dominant and feature a hell of a lot more which i think they're starting to be with Dex's accident, Sid's new love interest Lisa and Indi and Romeo getting back together. But the Braxtons need to take a back seat for a little while, the constant drama they're always in is almost unrealistic and so other characters need to shine.

The funny thing I found in Lucy's interview is that she said she doesn't want loose touch with the roots of Home and Away when people like Irene, Alf, Marilyn and even Leah (who has been there for nearly thirteen years which is half of Home and Away's time on air) are being portrayed as almost extras who only job is to give pointless advice and toss salad. The summer bay house also needs to have a family in it, more specifically family that involves foster children. My opinion is to get rid of Harvey, make Roo want to make up for the time she lost with Martha and foster two or three teens who can be new characters and make Home and Away go back to the fundamentals.

Not really sure if i made sense but thats my opinion.

Alf and Ailsa stay together for 13 seasons. There was of course the occasional storyline where they encountered rocky periods in their marriage. Michael and Pippa stayed together for the best part of 5 and a half seasons, with the one storyline in late 1994 where it was all crumbling down. Fisher and Marilyn spent nearly 3 years together, with the rocky moments coming from Marilyn's depression. Travis and Rebecca spent two years together without any problems IIRC. A couple like Floss and Neville, showing a couple that had been together for over 40 years. Yes, the love triangles and rocky periods are part of the game and you can always be hamstrung by the fact that actors come and go, but at some point when you put two characters together you've got to take a step back, acknowledge you've put them together and write storylines about them being together that do not involve brekaing them up.

Alf and Ailsa stay together for 13 seasons. There was of course the occasional storyline where they encountered rocky periods in their marriage. Michael and Pippa stayed together for the best part of 5 and a half seasons, with the one storyline in late 1994 where it was all crumbling down. Fisher and Marilyn spent nearly 3 years together, with the rocky moments coming from Marilyn's depression. Travis and Rebecca spent two years together without any problems IIRC. A couple like Floss and Neville, showing a couple that had been together for over 40 years. Yes, the love triangles and rocky periods are part of the game and you can always be hamstrung by the fact that actors come and go, but at some point when you put two characters together you've got to take a step back, acknowledge you've put them together and write storylines about them being together that do not involve brekaing them up.

Could not agree more.

Could not agree more.

In definite agreement too!

Archived