Lucy Addario Interview

Guest Jadelyns

I don't think Cameron Welsh was as bad as his reputation here. In my opinion he oversaw the biggest improvement in production quality the show has ever seen, with better, lighter, more realistic sets and improved picture quality between 2009-10. I think the decline in storytelling quality and characterisation during that period is mainly down to the Script Producer of the time, especially through late 2008 and during 2009, and then from mid-way through 2011. When talented Script Producers such as Bevan Lee (first 6ish months of 2008) and Jason Daniel (first 6 months of 2011) have been in charge, the show has been sensational. Having said that, as Series Producer one of his responsibilities must be to employ talented Script Producers, and with and Louise Bowes (mid-2011 to present) he has failed.

I remember watching episodes from the 02-05 period which interesting direction and noticing that a lot of them had been directed by Welsh. From a technical point of view, direction he obviously appears to be very talented indeed. Not that I know anything about TV direction myself and so I half expect Dan to come in and tell me that I'm talking ********.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think Cameron Welsh was as bad as his reputation here. In my opinion he oversaw the biggest improvement in production quality the show has ever seen, with better, lighter, more realistic sets and improved picture quality between 2009-10.

Being series producer is kind of a thankless task (unless they get the majority of things right..H&A 1988-2004 for example :P)... the production changes were great and much needed, but for all we know, he could have just 'approved' the changes that were envisioned/ driven by someone else. I would also argue that that was the ONLY thing that improved during his time...

However, I find it hard to point the finger at anyone else for the truckload of damages over the past 4 years, because at the end of the day, he was the one with the most power to do something about it (other than the network)... yet he didn't.

I think the majority of complaints come from those who wanted the new SP to drive the show into a more tasteful place, but found Cam Welsh- Take 2 waiting, when they read that interview.

I just wish she (and Cameron) would give a straight answer about the titles, as I think the "leaves more time for extra drama" answer is bull$hit. The amount of time dedicated to recapping previous events at the start of each episode almost always exceeds 1 minute.

I think it's pretty clear the real answer is Network 7 impose a restriction in opening title length. So I would prefer her to answer that it's impossible to produce a decent set of credits in 15 seconds, see 2009.

I just wish she (and Cameron) would give a straight answer about the titles, as I think the "leaves more time for extra drama" answer is bull$hit. The amount of time dedicated to recapping previous events at the start of each episode almost always exceeds 1 minute.

I think it's pretty clear the real answer is Network 7 impose a restriction in opening title length. So I would prefer her to answer that it's impossible to produce a decent set of credits in 15 seconds, see 2009.

Although does the opening not include the previously on home and away part? Sometimes thats up to 30 seconds long so if they cut that to faster scenes with just the important parts they could easily have 30 second credits.

I think that the biggest problem with the interview is that she doesn't think there is anything wrong with the show at the moment. How can you improve a show if you don't see a problem with it? I mean there are reasons you are being asked questions about Irene, Marilyn, Alf, Roo etc because they are the only reason long term viewers still watch the show and they are very fastly switching off because they can't stand watching their favourites being treated like glorified extras. You can't write a show based on what the fans on the facebook page say and keep casting carbon copies of popular ex-characters (Nat-- I mean Charlie 2.0) You don't even have to give her lines just have her stare at Braz and the fans will love her. My idea for Home and Away is to axe Romeo, Indi, April, Liam, Nat, Sid and Gina. Move Dexter and Sasha into Summer Bay and out of the ****ing farm which they still can't decide how far away from Summer Bay it is. Promote VJ to being a regular, Introduce Irene's grandchildren Paul and Mark (Sasha's age) and move them into the Beach House make one of them gay. Bring Duncan back with teenage step-daughters (VJ and Jet's ages) reintroduce the opening credits, partner Duncan to Bianca, John to Marilyn oh and give Alf a ****ing girlfriend (Irene maybe?)

Being series producer is kind of a thankless task (unless they get the majority of things right..H&A 1988-2004 for example :P)... the production changes were great and much needed, but for all we know, he could have just 'approved' the changes that were envisioned/ driven by someone else.

But I guess he could have said no.

However, I find it hard to point the finger at anyone else for the truckload of damages over the past 4 years, because at the end of the day, he was the one with the most power to do something about it (other than the network)... yet he didn't.

But why disregard the well-respected 2008 season which occurred under his control? The YLM could equally have been conceived by someone other than Cameron, who probably told him it would be good. Jason Daniel was an excellent choice for Script Producer in 2011 and if he had remained in this position throughout 2011, then I believe that season and the reaction to the Braxtons in general would be far more favourable.

At least once throughout his tenure Cameron realised 'hey this sh*t just got bananas', and that the guns and hostage situation drama of 2009 needed to cool down somewhat. Lucy has yet to show any self-awareness. I would bet Cameron was instructed by Network 7 that they needed to step up the drama again for 2011, and now it's just blown completely out of control.

Archived