Contacting TPTB on Twitter

Guest Light of the Bay

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ I wouldn't have been a member during that period, but I can imagine the satisfaction of having a real reply to a question you may have about the show from those responsible.

[...]defend her characters or the show, but also openly admit to her feelings on where the show was or had gone wrong.

I have a lot of respect for Coral in that case! It's far easier just to listen to the fans on Twitter(not that it existed in those days), who will only be complimentary.

It's nice to know that Louise is a member. It must be a pain to put the effort into joining and reading this forum only to have your work critiqued by members such as myself that have no idea how tough a job it must be! I do aim for it to be constructive criticism though.

Apart from the dull and/or character-assassinating storylines of this year (Script Production really needs to improve, sorry Louise), I still really enjoy the show.

I remember when Coral would reply (I used a different name back then). It was great to have someone who I respected as a screen writer, defend her characters or the show, but also openly admit to her feelings on where the show was or had gone wrong.

Now it's my turn to get nostalgic.

I had the real privilege of working with her in judging the Script Writing Competitions we ran back in those days. She was responsible for some magnificent characters like Angie Russell. I remember that she used to chide me ( gently ) when I complained about "shallow " storylines which majored on shirtless males or bikini clad young women. She used to ask me whether I thought it was some sort of sin or disability to look good and ask me why those "attributes" shouldn't be appreciated.

On the other hand I also recall that she expressed extreme frustration when her bosses insisted that they only wanted characters who looked good on the front of TV Week with blue eyes and blond hair. She was appalled with the way Susie Rugg and Amy Mizzi were treated apparently because they didn't fit that mould.

Actually I think it was probably Coral who started the change in direction of the show by introducing characters like Angie alongside the traditional foster children and foster parents. What she was able to do though was to successfully integrate these "newer type " characters with the existing long term characters of the show. I remember well the "games " she played with Nick which were quite risque for that time. I think it was that ability ( or wish ) to integrate all the cast into storylines that got lost in 2010 to the early part of 2012.

I hope what I'm now seeing with Lucy is a return to this integration of new and different type characters with the existing, long term ethos of the show as we begin to have less of the crime and violence and more of an exploration of why the characters have chosen or been forced to live their lives that way. If that is the case the newer audience that is being attracted will come to understand and appreciate the longer term values and character of the show and we will have a new generation of longer term fans who will carry the show on into the future.

Yes I've posted before how I really respect writers/producers who can talk openly about both their successes and their failures/things they could have done better, and how current H&A production team doesn't do that, don't credit their audience with any intelligence, and put a positive spin on everything.

When I have more time I am definately going to look up those discussions.

^ I wouldn't have been a member during that period, but I can imagine the satisfaction of having a real reply to a question you may have about the show from those responsible.

[...]defend her characters or the show, but also openly admit to her feelings on where the show was or had gone wrong.

I have a lot of respect for Coral in that case! It's far easier just to listen to the fans on Twitter(not that it existed in those days), who will only be complimentary.

It's nice to know that Louise is a member. It must be a pain to put the effort into joining and reading this forum only to have your work critiqued by members such as myself that have no idea how tough a job it must be! I do aim for it to be constructive criticism though.

Apart from the dull and/or character-assassinating storylines of this year (Script Production really needs to improve, sorry Louise), I still really enjoy the show.

I've spent the last two years studying creative writing. My courses included script writing and an assignment that was to write roughly 15 minutes of dialogue, describing the stage setting and lighting, adding in the stage direction, and full character list. As you can see I chose to do a stage production but there was also the choice of preparing our scripts for TV, Radio or Film.

When I see a production like Home and Away although I'm fully aware of what is needed to produce 25 minutes of television that doesn't excuse the sloppy writing we are seeing now or the predictability of certain storylines. In addition why should we put up with the obvious plotlines and mistakes. Unless we call them on it how will we ever get better stories?

I've spent the last two years studying creative writing. My courses included script writing and an assignment that was to write roughly 15 minutes of dialogue, describing the stage setting and lighting, adding in the stage direction, and full character list. As you can see I chose to do a stage production but there was also the choice of preparing our scripts for TV, Radio or Film.

When I see a production like Home and Away although I'm fully aware of what is needed to produce 25 minutes of television that doesn't excuse the sloppy writing we are seeing now or the predictability of certain storylines. In addition why should we put up with the obvious plotlines and mistakes. Unless we call them on it how will we ever get better stories?

I don't think anyone is saying that we shouldn't express our feelings on the quality of writing or storylines. Surely that's one of the things this Forum exists for. A number of us do have some training and some even a bit of experience in the field of script writing but that doesn't make us experts. I'm always a bit careful when expressing my opinion that I accord the "professionals" the respect they deserve while disagreeing with them at times.

^ :huh: ?

I'm not saying we shouldn't. Perhaps given your experience you could list some examples of what you would do differently?

I know you weren't I was just explaining why I feel that WE should keep letting them know what we think of the show. If I were to let you know what I'd do differently we'd be here all day!

I don't think anyone is saying that we shouldn't express our feelings on the quality of writing or storylines. Surely that's one of the things this Forum exists for. A number of us do have some training and some even a bit of experience in the field of script writing but that doesn't make us experts. I'm always a bit careful when expressing my opinion that I accord the "professionals" the respect they deserve while disagreeing with them at times.

Hang on I don't want you to misunderstand me here. I certainly didn't mean that anyone was saying 'we shouldn't express our feelings on the quality of writing or storylines' and by no means does my course qualify me as an expert, if anything I'm still learning each day as I write more.

^ :huh: ?

I'm not saying we shouldn't. Perhaps given your experience you could list some examples of what you would do differently?

I know you weren't I was just explaining why I feel that WE should keep letting them know what we think of the show. If I were to let you know what I'd do differently we'd be here all day!

Please do! Even if you just cover a couple of the main points, it's interesting to hear what other members think could be done differently.

EDIT: Actually, perhaps this isn't the best thread for that discussion.

I've been looking at Lousie's twitter page and she always gets praise from fans telling her how amazing Casey, Brax and heath are and how they are so much better than the rest of the cast. Since she gets such positive reviews about the show from them I'm not surprised that she continues to write their stories with more effort than established members of the cast.

Archived