Contacting TPTB on Twitter

Guest Light of the Bay

I disagree. I don't think John could work by himself, but if Gina left (she would have to be killed off) John could easily form a relationship with one of the other eligible ladies in the bay :D . I think he and Marilyn could work very well together.

Why would she have to be killed off?.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree the current show is a pile of crap. The simple problem is that the characters are about as deep as a puddle!

And the guns, the crime, the cops... it's a sleepy slightly-red-neck backwater for God's sake.

If Coral Drouyn or Bevan Lee were in charge today, they'd be throwing a LOT of the scripts back. The problem is those in charge are assuming the Facebook or Twitter lot represent the entire fanbase, and that's just not the case.

In the UK, EastEnders has been on-air for 27 years, Emmerdale for 40 and Coronation Street 52, but they've always remained fresh and interesting without alienating the older fans. Hollyoaks has racked up 16 years but it's managed to maintain a culture of evolution, not revolution. Why can't Home & Away? Why has every single Script Producer the show's had since Daniel Bennett felt the need to reinvent the wheel?

Seriously, looking back at the old episodes you've seen the show evolve gradually over the years. Then, whammo, you hit 2005 and the whole thing practically becomes a different show each year. No need. No need at all.

I agree the current show is a pile of crap. The simple problem is that the characters are about as deep as a puddle!

And the guns, the crime, the cops... it's a sleepy slightly-red-neck backwater for God's sake.

If Coral Drouyn or Bevan Lee were in charge today, they'd be throwing a LOT of the scripts back. The problem is those in charge are assuming the Facebook or Twitter lot represent the entire fanbase, and that's just not the case.

In the UK, EastEnders has been on-air for 27 years, Emmerdale for 40 and Coronation Street 52, but they've always remained fresh and interesting without alienating the older fans. Hollyoaks has racked up 16 years but it's managed to maintain a culture of evolution, not revolution. Why can't Home & Away? Why has every single Script Producer the show's had since Daniel Bennett felt the need to reinvent the wheel?

Seriously, looking back at the old episodes you've seen the show evolve gradually over the years. Then, whammo, you hit 2005 and the whole thing practically becomes a different show each year. No need. No need at all.

I don't understand why the format of the show completely changed in 2005. If I remember correctly 2004 was a high rating year so they didn't really need to change the whole feel of the show. It has never felt warm since episode 3870 (2004 Finale). James I think you should e-mail Channel 7 or something about you view on the current show. Maybe if they get lots of suggestions and complaints they may finally start to change the show for the better! Perhaps BTTB could create a petition and send it off? I must sound like some sort of desperate individual but I just want Home and Away to have some life like characters again and just be as good as it can be.

If I remember rightly, halfway through 2004 BTTB ran such a petition claiming the show had gone "too OTT" (if only we knew then what we know now!) which prompted both Bevan Lee and Coral Drouyn (whose episodes we're currently at on the 5* run) - personally I thought at that time the balance was right.

I don't know what the ratings are like in Australia, but in the UK the show is seriously under-performing. Neighbours isn't doing much better either, but even then Home & Away is only getting 80% of what Neighbours gets, despite Neighbours being on when a lot of people are still at work. Really, Home & Away should be out-rating Neighbours by at least 20%-30%. There's only so much Channel 5 can do though.

I don't think it's fair to say that Home and Away should be out-rating Neighbours though. Neighbours has had waaaay more exposure over the years in the UK than H&A has because it was on the UK's prime channel for so many years. Home and Away has been on a backwater channel for 7 years longer than Neighbours.

I disagree. I don't think John could work by himself, but if Gina left (she would have to be killed off) John could easily form a relationship with one of the other eligible ladies in the bay :D . I think he and Marilyn could work very well together.

Why would she have to be killed off?.

I don't believe she would leave SB without John, so if Sonya wanted to leave but they wanted to keep John, I think they would kill Gina off.

I don't think it's fair to say that Home and Away should be out-rating Neighbours though. Neighbours has had waaaay more exposure over the years in the UK than H&A has because it was on the UK's prime channel for so many years. Home and Away has been on a backwater channel for 7 years longer than Neighbours.

People have made the effort to stick with Big Brother through a channel switch, though. And the show was performing really well for C5 a few years ago. It was regularly in the Top 10 for the network, but nowadays it seems to struggle to trouble the Top 30. Has digital switch-over meant that the audience who used to tune in at 6pm are now split between that showing and First Look on 5*? I notice from DigitalSpy that the figures for Hollyoaks seem to be similarly split, with both shows averaging around 800k on Channel 4/Channel 5 and 500k on E4/5*.

I've noticed myself that TPTB only tend to reply to the positive tweets. Louise Bowes tends to reply to a select few people quite regularly on there. I guess maybe given all the hard work they put into the show they just don't want to hear the negatives, but I think twitter is actually a really good way for them to gather public opinion on both where they are going right and wrong. Having said that, I believe the producer of Hollyoaks has been on the attack lately on twitter so I guess it's better to ignore the viewer than it is to argue with them. :lol:

I find things are just pushed a little bit too far these days for that bit of extra drama- it's just a little too OTT for my taste. I don't think it's fair to suggest that H&A should be rating higher than Neighbours either. Infact, don't 5 pay more for Neighbours? I could be wrong on that. Personally, although it has it's dull moments I do find Neighbours a better show on the whole these days as it's just that bit more believable.

Archived