Contacting TPTB on Twitter

Guest Light of the Bay

It's good that she responded to you. I think its a shame that she or whoever is ultimately in charge has decided the current format is the best way to have the show 'evolve'. To me it doesn't feel like a natural evolution for Home and Away or Summer Bay. Definitely not for characters like Irene, Marilyn, Alf etc.

There are little glimpses that the show still has a heart such as the lighthearted stuff in yesterdays Aus episode with John and Gina. But they are so few and far between and as a result they stand out. At one stage seeing the police station was very rare and that stood out to indicate that something very dramatic or serious was going on. It doesn't have that effect anymore and hasn't for years and years because they've totally over done it and people expect to see it every week now.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I tweeted her about how here in the UK we have been watching some vintage episodes and I suggested that perhaps the writers and producers should sit down and get some inspiration. It's kinda funny how she says about not losing 'its heart or soul', that's exactly what Home and Away has lost.

Exactly!!!!!!

Since soaps are a slightly heightened reality, they should in essence be timeless.

People still fall in love, they still fall ill, they still are born and die, they still give birth and fight, people still get raped and people still have fun, people still want children and children want parents. The world in which we inhabit may have changed since 1980, but the feelings that people feel remain constant. We still live under the same structures, structures like right and wrong, good and bad, love and hate.

Shows may have to evolve, it's unfortunately mutating into a diseased species, a species whose own failings will cause it's ultimate downfall. A vacuos, shallow show, that has made little effort to give the character any depth, instead bending the characters into contrived situations to allow constant action.

Since soaps are a slightly heightened reality, they should in essence be timeless.

People still fall in love, they still fall ill, they still are born and die, they still give birth and fight, people still get raped and people still have fun, people still want children and children want parents. The world in which we inhabit may have changed since 1980, but the feelings that people feel remain constant. We still live under the same structures, structures like right and wrong, good and bad, love and hate.

Shows may have to evolve, it's unfortunately mutating into a diseased species, a species whose own failings will cause it's ultimate downfall. A vacuos, shallow show, that has made little effort to give the character any depth, instead bending the characters into contrived situations to allow constant action.

Wow, what a descriptive post, but so true.

The unfortunate thing is, that I think every long running show that's ever been on TV has got a group of long term fans going "it's not as good as it used to be" and the more they pipe up about it, the more they just come across as old whingers who can't move with the times, which is something that any producer would be right to take little notice of. Frustratingly, that isn't the case here. There are far too many people (much more than ever) coming out of the woodwork to complain that it has completly lost its heart and soul, which judging from her twitter post below, is something Louise Bowes is blissfullly ignorant of!! But how do we make her/them aware of it without the above problem arising, that we just come across as a bunch of geeks who want the show to be stuck in the past?????

For a while now I have been thinking about writing to Lucy Addario and explaining my thoughts on what the show has become and how many people have become quite simply fed up and are genuinely concerned for its future. I really don't know if it's worth it as beau_t pointed out that TPTB obviously don't care.

Anyway, I tweeted Lynne McGranger last night asking how I could write to the Prodcuers and she gave me the following address:

just write to The Producer c/- Home and Away , Media City, Central Ave, Eveleigh 2015. X

Yeah I'm presuming Louise Bowes dismissed the suggestion of watching past episodes to get inspiration, as a suggestion to make the show how it used to be in all aspects, instead of watching it to get inspiration on how to make the show 'feel' like Home and Away again, amongst other things (characterization, continuity).

We're not talking about turning it to it's 1988 format, we're talking about creating a 2012 version of the Home and Away we grew up with. I don't understand why it is so hard for them to do this without thinking the only way is to completely change the format each year.

Yeah I'm presuming Louise Bowes dismissed the suggestion of watching past episodes to get inspiration, as a suggestion to make the show how it used to be in all aspects, instead of watching it to get inspiration on how to make the show 'feel' like Home and Away again, amongst other things (characterization, continuity). We're not talking about turning it to it's 1988 format, we're talking about creating a 2012 version of the Home and Away we grew up with. I don't understand why it is so hard for them to do this without thinking the only way is to completely change the format each year.

Yeah, there are plenty of other soaps which have lasted 20, 30, even 50 years by keeping fresh and moving with the times, but still staying true to the original concept. I don't understand why H&A feels it needs to turn into a cop/hospital drama to survive when other (more successful) shows haven't needed to. I don't see why we need to see the hospital/police station set every week.

The unfortunate thing is, that I think every long running show that's ever been on TV has got a group of long term fans going "it's not as good as it used to be" and the more they pipe up about it, the more they just come across as old whingers who can't move with the times, which is something that any producer would be right to take little notice of. Frustratingly, that isn't the case here. There are far too many people (much more than ever) coming out of the woodwork to complain that it has completly lost its heart and soul, which judging from her twitter post below, is something Louise Bowes is blissfullly ignorant of!! But how do we make her/them aware of it without the above problem arising, that we just come across as a bunch of geeks who want the show to be stuck in the past?????

You're right, I think it is extremely difficult to illustrate this point to TPTB without sounding like a bunch of maniacs.

I don't believe the right course of action is to tweet Louise Bowes/Lucy Addario, and tell them how much we hate the current format. I'm sure they are very hard-working individuals and from what I have seen, the Australian ratings are very strong at the moment. This leads credence to the view that the current format is the correct one, and surprise, surprise, negative comments are being ignored.

As much as I hate the way the show has changed over the past 12-18 months, I think we are in a minority, and I honestly believe that if you polled the members on here, most would say the show is great.

However I would hate to sit back and just watch it unravel as with Neighbours. I wonder if there is anything BTTB can do? The survey of 2004 is before my time here, perhaps we could do something like that again?

I may be wrong but doesn't this site have a twitter account? Maybe BTTB could tweet to the producers that if they would like to see what fans really want then BTTB forum is the place to look - not the Facebook page.

They're very much aware of the existence of the forum, and any tweets sent to Lucy Addario (even a supportive one when she took over) from BTTB have been ignored anyway.

Archived