Contacting TPTB on Twitter

Guest Light of the Bay

On several occassions I have tweeted Louise Bowes (Script Producer) and Lucy Addario (Series Producer) about the direction the show has taken in recent years. I politely stated that all the guns, crime and violence simply isn't nail-biting or dramatic anymore! I know I have a tendency of making threads that may be perceived as me moaning but I am just so angry at the state of the current show. It seems that TPTB would rather ignore the long term fans who want to see some light hearted humour and charcter driven drama again. The River Boys, under used characters and the harsh music just take the soul out of Home and Away almost completely.

Watching Home and Away From Day One on 5* has reminded me just how wonderful and character driven Home and Away used to be! It was everything the current show is not. Lousie Bowes regularly receives tweets from morons who come out with drivel such as "Omg Brax is just amazing and hot, his tattoo is just brill." She is quick to reply to those sorts of tweets but whenever someone criticises the current show there is NEVER a response. I was just so looking forward to 2012 when Lucy Addario came on board but if anything it has gotten worse in recent weeks- especially with the events that took place this week. I am so close to just swtiching off for good until there are some serious changes.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really like the current show BUT I will not be happy until Marilyn, Irene and Leah have proper stories of their own. I think it's almost definitely needed that one of Irene's children is brought back, I don't care which, Nathan, Damien or Finlay but give her something to do! Likewise I don't think Marilyn should be working in the Diner. They seem to stick all characters in the Diner if they don't know what to do with them. Marilyn is a beautician/hairdresser and child minder. That is what she should be doing. I also don't like how she's only there to give other characters advice. Plus they need to give her her fun and bubbly personality back. Leah is also a problem.

They need to get rid of Harvey too, he's pretty much ruined Roo as a character and how sh*te have Roo's storylines been since she returned? Hardly anyone likes her anymore because of the stupid relationship that's dragged her down. Georgie Parker is one of the best actresses in the country and they are wasting her talents. She deserves more.

I also think it's time to get rid of John and Gina. I like Jett but John and Gina have never worked as a couple. I like John on his own but he's not a strong enough character to stay without Gina so they should get rid. Getting rid of John and Gina would also leave some space in the adult cast to bring back some iconic characters to put in Summer Bay House. Ben and Carly should return and start fostering, or Blake and Sophie. I wouldn't even be against Ben, Carly AND Sophie returning. Perhaps Ben and Carly decide to buy Summer Bay House and Sophie returns with them as she's having problems with Blake. This could cause friction for Ben and Carly as perhaps Ben feels that Carly is putting their marriage on the line for the sake of her foster sister.

If Celia returns, like has been suggested, they better not stick her in the Diner and have her just standing around gossiping. They can't afford to lose the depth of the character and don't make her a Collen #2

And is it true that Lucy Addario is Cameron Welsh's wife? :rolleyes:

Unfortunately LaMurray123, not liking the dominance of the Braxtons puts us in the minority. Because of the very vocal proportion of fans who support over-use of these characters, I do not blame the writers and script producer from devoting every waking moment to providing them with storylines. It doesn't mean I enjoy it though.

I agree that the script producers are obviously very confused about Irene, Marilyn, Roo, Alf, and Leah,

and potentially Celia,

and probably wish they could axe them all. At this point would it really matter to many of the current viewers? While the show is not quite terrible enough for me to stop watching altogether, I think they do need to make some changes to keep me interested. That's not to get too big-headed about the importance of myself as a viewer, but clearly I'm not alone.

I don't think they should get rid of the Braxtons, they are quite interesting (and obviously popular) characters, but they need to learn to use them in moderation. They do need to actually attempt to develop all three of them, and make them less segregated from the other members of the cast as the current weekly episode structure puts them firmly in a position of:

Monday: Braxton episode; Tuesday: Braxton episode; Wednesday: Braxton episode; Thursday: the rest of the cast; Friday; the rest of the cast.

Casey used to be quite involved with the other teenage characters, whereas this year he has been mostly segregated. How he is ever going to pass this year of school I have no idea. I do like Heath, and it's nice to see him behaving himself more these days as he aims to be a good father. Brax I can't stand. He parades around like a gangster, imagining himself as a respectable businessman, treating everyone else like sh*t and getting away with criminal activity, and yet the fans go crazy for it. I just don't get it. If I was in charge he would be out, there's no redemption for him in my book.

I think it would be unreasonable to expect these three brothers to have mellowed out already, helping Alf in the bait shop like most of the previous bad guys-turned good, but I had hoped that by now we would have seen more progress from these guys. Heath has become more likeable, I believe Casey has deteriorated, and Brax has remained as unpleasant as ever. However it is funny though to see the script writers scrabble to try and make Danny a more unlikeable character than Brax. You can almost feel the writers sweating over the task!

She hasn't been in the job long, but perhaps it's already time to let Lucy Addario go. She clearly got lost on the way to apply for the role of Series Producer on Underbelly. There needs to be someone in charge who is talented enough to combine storylines and characters that will appeal to viewers of the past 2 years, as well as those of the past 25 years. To respect the past, but also allow the show to remain suitable for first-time viewers. Perhaps Julie McGauran could move back into that role? I also think that Bevan Lee should have more influence over Louise Bowes for storyline quality control. Unfortunately she seems to believe that an endless stream of unconnected tragic events is entertaining viewing.

They need to get rid of Harvey too, he's pretty much ruined Roo as a character and how sh*te have Roo's storylines been since she returned? Hardly anyone likes her anymore because of the stupid relationship that's dragged her down. Georgie Parker is one of the best actresses in the country and they are wasting her talents. She deserves more.

I agree, Harvey is really dragging Roo down. I know they've tried hard to turn him into a likeable character, but it clearly hasn't worked has it! She works best as a free-spirit, as corny as that sounds, and needs to remain single for a while as she becomes more established. I think they also need to bring up more of her recent past while she has been away from SB.

.. although they seem to be doing a bit of that now.

I also think it's time to get rid of John and Gina. I like Jett but John and Gina have never worked as a couple. I like John on his own but he's not a strong enough character to stay without Gina so they should get rid. Getting rid of John and Gina would also leave some space in the adult cast to bring back some iconic characters to put in Summer Bay House.

I have to say I really don't agree with you there though. Although Gina is still quite cold, she is far better now than in 2009/10 for example, and especially thanks to her relationship with John. I think fostering Jett gives them enough of a purpose in SB, and I think it is more important to build on certain new characters such as these, rather than gambling on the return of past characters.

I really like the current show BUT I will not be happy until Marilyn, Irene and Leah have proper stories of their own. I think it's almost definitely needed that one of Irene's children is brought back, I don't care which, Nathan, Damien or Finlay but give her something to do! Likewise I don't think Marilyn should be working in the Diner. They seem to stick all characters in the Diner if they don't know what to do with them. Marilyn is a beautician/hairdresser and child minder. That is what she should be doing. I also don't like how she's only there to give other characters advice. Plus they need to give her her fun and bubbly personality back. Leah is also a problem.

I also think it's time to get rid of John and Gina. I like Jett but John and Gina have never worked as a couple. I like John on his own but he's not a strong enough character to stay without Gina so they should get rid. Getting rid of John and Gina would also leave some space in the adult cast to bring back some iconic characters to put in Summer Bay House. Ben and Carly should return and start fostering, or Blake and Sophie. I wouldn't even be against Ben, Carly AND Sophie returning. Perhaps Ben and Carly decide to buy Summer Bay House and Sophie returns with them as she's having problems with Blake. This could cause friction for Ben and Carly as perhaps Ben feels that Carly is putting their marriage on the line for the sake of her foster sister.

If Celia returns, like has been suggested, they better not stick her in the Diner and have her just standing around gossiping. They can't afford to lose the depth of the character and don't make her a Collen #2

And is it true that Lucy Addario is Cameron Welsh's wife? :rolleyes:

I have read somewhere that she used to be a fun character. That's hard to believe as I've only seen most of her in 2012 episodes. She is always frowned and neurotic these days.

John and Gina atleast is one stable couple in the show. I would like them to stay for many years as it has become realyy annoying that everyone else seems to be sleeping with everyone.

I really hope that Celia won't be ruined if she does come back

I have to say I really don't agree with you there though. Although Gina is still quite cold, she is far better now than in 2009/10 for example, and especially thanks to her relationship with John. I think fostering Jett gives them enough of a purpose in SB, and I think it is more important to build on certain new characters such as these, rather than gambling on the return of past characters.

They're not new characters though, are they? 3 years is a long time to develop likeable characters, and it hasn't worked with these two. I see what you mean by making a gamble with past characters but at the same time you know you can rely on them to bring the magic back that they had when they were first there. I have a lot of faith in Carly and Sophie to be able to do that. And Rebekah Elmaloglou has pretty much made a public plea to return to the show...!

Thanks Dan and QA. Julie's time at H&A was well regarded though wasn't it? I'm surprised we didn't see more of her influence during Cameron's time as SP then.

Cadyctslover - I like John, I agree he works better than Gina, but he can't be in the show without Gina. That's why I think they should get rid of them. At another time John might have worked as a lone character but there is already Marilyn, Leah, Irene, Alf and Sid as single adult characters.

Archived