Contacting TPTB on Twitter

Guest Light of the Bay

^Yeah, that's the way it will always go. Same with Facebook. The official site seems pretty much dedicated to them too. Of course the other characters wont seem as 'cool' or interesting to fans if the writers and producers don't give them the same hype or the same attention as characters. A lot of people won't be questioning what they are given, they will just accept it and go along with it, especially casual viewers who don't really 'know' H&A and are new to it because of the RB.

The problem with that type of fan, is that whilst they may end up life long viewers, a lot of them will tune out as soon as their favourite character leaves, and then the show could be in a mess - particularly if they've alienated lot of the long term viewers, those they used to rely on sticking with the show no matter what.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been looking at Lousie's twitter page and she always gets praise from fans telling her how amazing Casey, Brax and heath are and how they are so much better than the rest of the cast. Since she gets such positive reviews about the show from them I'm not surprised that she continues to write their stories with more effort than established members of the cast.

It's kinda understandable she gets tweets about how great the river boys are when they're the only people who ever get anything to do.Everyone else is basically a background character to the river boys show.I think for that reason the more recent viewers are obviously rb fans where as older viewers like myself continue to watch out of loyalty and the hope it'll get better even though it's been a train wreck for ages now.

I think I just basically said what alexx said lol.I guess we'll see when all three boys have left.It's a huge risk to pretty much base the show around them.

Louise gets a lot of tweets about the Braxtons, yes. But she also gets tweets about other cast members. Last week she even asked her followers what we thought of the John/Gina storyline. She did not get as much response to that as she would have gotten if she had asked about the Braxtons. The writers noticed, via Twitter and Facebook, that the Braxtons were/are popular. So why would they give them any less screentime? They stick to the 3 episodes a week rule. Even Brax, Heath and Casey only appear in 3 episodes a week each. There have also been weeks where one of them did only appear in 2 episodes. So it is not like they get that much more screentime than other characters. They do get the more exciting storylines, but it is not like other characters don't get storylines anymore. I like how the show is now and I don't think it has changed that much. When the Sutherlands were on the show, there were also rape-storylines, love triangles excetera. There might be a bit more violence now, but I don't think H&A is the only show that has more violence in it, in my opinion that has something to do with the way televison has evolved. In films also, everything has to be more spectacular than before.

I don't think this forum is representable for the H&A audience. Us, people on this forum, have felt the need to search this site, to register on here, post comments on here, we think more about the scenes, the episodes than other (regular) viewers, who just want to start their night enjoying an episode of Home and Away. I am not saying people on Twitter or Facebook can represent all viewers, but it is easier to comment on H&A on facebook/Twitter than on here.

One little anecdote: When I am free during the episodes I search tweets about Home and Away from people who are watching it. Tweets like 'Roo and Harvey are boring, where are Brax and Casey?' are not uncommon. All I am saying is that the Braxton fanbase is big even though lots of people on here seem to dislike them. But that is a matter of personal opinion of course, I don't want to tell anyone what to do or who to like.

Can I just point out that you only see the tweets she retweets or responds to. There could be just as many tweets going to her that say the 'Braxtons are rubbish' for example and as a writer she's not going to focus on them is she?

For example of just what Louise has to go through I've just looked at someone else's twitter and they have just tweeted all day today telling Louise that Liam and Bianca need to get back together.

If you are really unhappy with what is going on in H&A then write a letter and send an email to them. Be polite. Explain what you mean. Provide examples. Because twitter is 140 characters so how can you be persuasive in just a few words without being abrupt and potentially insulting.

And for the record I have tweeted Louise and also Lucy Addario. :P

Can I just point out that you only see the tweets she retweets or responds to. There could be just as many tweets going to her that say the 'Braxtons are rubbish' for example and as a writer she's not going to focus on them is she?

For example of just what Louise has to go through I've just looked at someone else's twitter and they have just tweeted all day today telling Louise that Liam and Bianca need to get back together.

If you are really unhappy with what is going on in H&A then write a letter and send an email to them. Be polite. Explain what you mean. Provide examples. Because twitter is 140 characters so how can you be persuasive in just a few words without being abrupt and potentially insulting.

And for the record I have tweeted Louise and also Lucy Addario. :P

Good point there (about only seeing the tweets she replies to). But you can see the reactions she gets to the questions she asks (for example: what do you think about John and Gina at the moment). If someone doesn't agree with a storyline, and lets her know in a polite way, she reacts to it. For example she told a fan that it was okay if he/she did not like that particular storyline and that everyone could have their own opinion. I agree that attacking Louise Bowes or Lucy Addario is not the right way to go, nor is sending 10 tweets a day about 'Bring back Charlie, Chax all the the way, Charlie is in witness protection'.

Sometimes when I look for spoilers on Twitter I type in 'Brax' in the search box. And 99% of the results I get are positive tweets. So I don't think she gets lots of 'Braxtons are rubbish' tweets, but aye, I could be wrong.

They stick to the 3 episodes a week rule. Even Brax, Heath and Casey only appear in 3 episodes a week each. There have also been weeks where one of them did only appear in 2 episodes. So it is not like they get that much more screentime than other characters.

Hmmm, really? They do dominate the episodes they appear in though, and how about the episodes where none of them appear? They're few and far between. You also have to remember that 4-5 episodes can go past without Irene/Leah appearing for example.

When I am free during the episodes I search tweets about Home and Away from people who are watching it. Tweets like 'Roo and Harvey are boring, where are Brax and Casey?' are not uncommon. All I am saying is that the Braxton fanbase is big even though lots of people on here seem to dislike them.

But Roo and Harvey are boring! Almost deliberately so! It might not be deliberate, but by focussing so much of their energy on writing 'good' storylines for the Braxtons, it's pretty clear the quality of the writing for the other characters suffers.

They stick to the 3 episodes a week rule. Even Brax, Heath and Casey only appear in 3 episodes a week each. There have also been weeks where one of them did only appear in 2 episodes. So it is not like they get that much more screentime than other characters.

Hmmm, really? They do dominate the episodes they appear in though, and how about the episodes where none of them appear? They're few and far between. You also have to remember that 4-5 episodes can go past without Irene/Leah appearing for example.

When I am free during the episodes I search tweets about Home and Away from people who are watching it. Tweets like 'Roo and Harvey are boring, where are Brax and Casey?' are not uncommon. All I am saying is that the Braxton fanbase is big even though lots of people on here seem to dislike them.

But Roo and Harvey are boring! Almost deliberately so! It might not be deliberate, but by focussing so much of their energy on writing 'good' storylines for the Braxtons, it's pretty clear the quality of the writing for the other characters suffers.

No Braxton was in last Wednesday's episode (5613), no Braxton was in the Wednesday episode the week before (5608), no Braxton was in the Monday episode the week before that (5601)... Most weeks there is one episode without a Braxton. Leah appears 2/3 times a week, just like everyone else. It looks less because she only appears in 2 or 3 scenes then. I agree that it looks like 'the Braxtons' get a lot more screentime, but when you look at them as individuals (which they are, no matter how many promo's call them 'the Braxtons') the difference is not that big. And surely not everyone thinks Roo and Harvey are boring. :lol:

No Braxton was in last Wednesday's episode (5613), no Braxton was in the Wednesday episode the week before (5608), no Braxton was in the Monday episode the week before that (5601)... Most weeks there is one episode without a Braxton. Leah appears 2/3 times a week, just like everyone else. It looks less because she only appears in 2 or 3 scenes then. I agree that it looks like 'the Braxtons' get a lot more screentime, but when you look at them as individuals (which they are, no matter how many promo's call them 'the Braxtons') the difference is not that big.

Yeah but the point is that other characters are suffering because the writers seem to put all of there effort and enthusiasm into the writing of these three characters. It seems like all of the other characters are given quite frivolous storylines because the writers can't be bothered with them. As a result, the Braxtons are automatically the 'main characters' and everyone else are supporting parts. It's no wonder fans love them so much, of course they are more exciting to viewers when they are constantly given meaningful screen time (and every promo is about them).

No Braxton was in last Wednesday's episode (5613), no Braxton was in the Wednesday episode the week before (5608), no Braxton was in the Monday episode the week before that (5601)... Most weeks there is one episode without a Braxton. Leah appears 2/3 times a week, just like everyone else. It looks less because she only appears in 2 or 3 scenes then. I agree that it looks like 'the Braxtons' get a lot more screentime, but when you look at them as individuals (which they are, no matter how many promo's call them 'the Braxtons') the difference is not that big. And surely not everyone thinks Roo and Harvey are boring. :lol:

But as you say, for the episodes Leah is in, she only appears for a couple of scenes. The same can definitely be said for Irene and Marilyn, 1-2 scenes when they do appear as talking extras.

A month or two back I started making a spreadsheet listing the time each character appeared as a percentage of the total episode run time, but I gave up after a few episodes because it took too long! Anyway, regardless of whether the Braxton characters respect the three episode rule, when they do appear their scenes take up a larger proportion of the episode.

Archived