Classic Episodes on 5★

Guest ter06

Irene at times feels like a different character - she can be quite judgemental at times, such as with Heath, whereas she used to be all for giving someone a fair go (given her own past). Is it just me or does her voice also sound different (mainly pronunciation) these days?

Irene changed around 2004/2005 Imo Up until then she was developing quite realistically each year. Then TPTB decided to stop bothering and since then she's just been Lynne McGranger sayings lines. It's as if the writers stop caring at a point and decide to let the actor just play themselves. Then they forget who the character is and think they have always been that way. It's lazy.

I remember back in 2004, when Peter came in, Irene was a bit standoffish with him and he suggested she would be the one who'd take the longest to decide if she trusted him or not and she agreed.Thinking back, that may have been the first time she was portrayed like that(although it seemed to take her a while to warm to Noah for various reasons)and they do seem to have stuck to it since.I remember 2008 being a particularly bad year for Irene, as she continually refused to help Melody and wanted Geoff and Annie to leave the situation alone(even after Melody had ended up in a mental clinic and it was clear something wasn't right), then decided for no apparent reason that Jai was hurting Annie and tried to keep them apart.(Her attitude towards Angelo was disappointing but just about understandable, some people thought she took too long to trust Aden although I thought she still changed her mind too quickly.)

• Replies 575
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Irene at times feels like a different character - she can be quite judgemental at times, such as with Heath, whereas she used to be all for giving someone a fair go (given her own past). Is it just me or does her voice also sound different (mainly pronunciation) these days?

I've noticed that too, although it's been different for a fair few years now. She enunciates her words far better than she used to, particularly with words like 'you', and 'thank you'. It's likely something she has practiced during theatre work over the years, and is something I noticed with Lyn Collingwood as well.

Irene changed around 2004/2005 Imo Up until then she was developing quite realistically each year. Then TPTB decided to stop bothering and since then she's just been Lynne McGranger sayings lines. It's as if the writers stop caring at a point and decide to let the actor just play themselves. Then they forget who the character is and think they have always been that way. It's lazy.

I remember back in 2004, when Peter came in, Irene was a bit standoffish with him and he suggested she would be the one who'd take the longest to decide if she trusted him or not and she agreed.Thinking back, that may have been the first time she was portrayed like that(although it seemed to take her a while to warm to Noah for various reasons)and they do seem to have stuck to it since.I remember 2008 being a particularly bad year for Irene, as she continually refused to help Melody and wanted Geoff and Annie to leave the situation alone(even after Melody had ended up in a mental clinic and it was clear something wasn't right), then decided for no apparent reason that Jai was hurting Annie and tried to keep them apart.(Her attitude towards Angelo was disappointing but just about understandable, some people thought she took too long to trust Aden although I thought she still changed her mind too quickly.)

2008 Irene was a massive improvement on 2007 Irene!!!

2007?Apart from leading the lynch mob against Michael(which, like with Angelo, was seriously misguided but understandable after what happened with Tasha), I don't remember her being too bad that year. She had some nice stuff with Annie of the sort that became increasingly rare the longer Annie was on the show.

Sorry to be so slow but OH MY GOD! This is incredible news, especially as the classic episodes most summers are a bit "meh."

Here's my wish-list from various years. Some are a bit obvious.

1992: Meg's final sunrise

1993: Dale's cot death

1995: Michael's funeral (Sally tells Pippa "It's OK to cry." Brilliant piece of television.)

1996: Shane dies

2000: The Mudslide (Olympic cliffhanger)

2002: Mirigini disaster

2003: Don Fisher's final episode

2004: Sarah Lewis Olympic Siege (Best single episode. Ever.)

2008: Sally's final episode

I really hope we get Dale's cot-death (Debra Lawrence's finest hour, without a doubt) and the 2004 Olympic Cliffhanger.

Will be amazing to watch the Pilot again. Does anyone know if it'll be the full-whack two hour version, or the one-hour version orginally shown by ITV?

Also, who are they buying the episodes from - ITV or Seven? If it's ITV, will the 90s episodes contain the cuts they made and the hacked-off end credits?

I thin ITV's contract with the old episodes ran out a couple of years ago. I am hoping and praying that i'm right because i want the uncut version of h&a not the hacking job itv did.

I don't think ITV did h&a a good service at all Five treat their importated soaps with respect :lol:

Channel 5 would have to acquire rights and episodes from Seven/Endemol (the distributor), ITV wouldn't have any part in that process.

The only reason ITV have been mentioned before is that Channel 5 always stated, when asked over the past decade, that ITV still held the exclusive UK rights to pre-2000 airings.... which I wasn't wholly convinced about personally.... but at least we're getting somewhere now.

The only reason ITV have been mentioned before is that Channel 5 always stated, when asked over the past decade, that ITV still held the exclusive UK rights to pre-2000 airings.... which I wasn't wholly convinced about personally.... but at least we're getting somewhere now.

Well this could not have been true - wasn't there a channel called Living which aired them? Or maybe ITV only had exclusive UK terrestrial rights?

Archived