Classic Episodes on 5★

Guest ter06

Well, I thoroughly enjoyed seeing that on a proper television screen at last. It's amazing how badly-lit the show was back then, though. I'm guessing it didn't have quite the budget it does today.

Although back then of course the show was shot on interlaced video, it moved to progressive in 2003 with the switch to HD, which you'll see when we get to Week 4.

But I'd forgotten just how brilliantly written the pilot was. It never got boring once. Thank God they got Bevan Lee to re-write it!

Anyway. That, writing team of 2012, is how it's done.

• Replies 575
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Weirdly, I felt really sad watching that episode thinking of all the tragedies that would happen to them, especially Sally over the years. She was so innocent then and Milco was such a big part of her life, and that of the Fletchers back then that it was really fitting the story came full circle twenty years later.

I watched the pilot a short while ago on youtube and a few things stood out to me that I hadn't noticed on previous viewings so since it is being discussed here i'll chip in:

Foreshadowing: The ominous close-up shot of Pippa's house-cake and all the little people lying in ruins, juxtaposed with Pippa's happy singing, shown immediately before Tom loses his job (turning their world upside down). Although I have seen the pilot many times, I never really took any notice of that shot before. It is quite sinister.

On a few occasions, Sally mentions that she can't find Milco, or that they have left Milco behind. It's almost like her subconcious is trying to tell her something!!!!

Bobby's first words were "Rack off", which sort of became her catch phrase.

Bobby seems to have a special relationship with Neville, which after the pilot, to my recollection, is never really shown again.

yes. Watching it today I also noticed the relationship between Neville and Bobby. If they kept it up it might of given the old boy more to do. Funny, but I like the lighting. It looks natural to me. By the way, in the pilot is the shop inside a real one. It looks different from episode one onwards. And there was a car driving by outside.

yes. Watching it today I also noticed the relationship between Neville and Bobby. If they kept it up it might of given the old boy more to do. Funny, but I like the lighting. It looks natural to me. By the way, in the pilot is the shop inside a real one. It looks different from episode one onwards. And there was a car driving by outside.

I believe that in the pilot they used the inside of the real location which I think was a dis-used shop. From episode 1 onwards they used a studio set which was a replica (with adjustments).

The last time I sat down and watched it in full was when BTTB had it on here in the mid-00s. I'm not too clued-up on how Oz is handling the global financial crisis but the 24 year-old storyline rang so true watching it in 2012 it was scary - old bloke loses his job and the level of service means nothing. Happening all over this country. The whole premise of turning a problem into an opportunity was, in my mind, brilliant.

In au how long after the pilot was seen did the show start?

Unless I'm getting mixed up, the pilot aired on the Sunday evening, the day before Episode 1. I think though that there might have been a few weeks between the Pilot and the other episodes filming.

Archived