Classic Episodes on 5★

Guest ter06

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but sadly I can confirm that the pilot episode will be the hour-long version screened by ITV in 1989.

MyDigiGuide lists Home & Away for July 30th on 5* as running 18:00 - 18:55 as one continuous episode.

• Replies 575
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The pilot is the only one I don't care about being cut, tbh. It's had a VHS/ DVD release, TV repeat (in the download age :whistling: ) and it is on YouTube courtesy of four or five people. This 'edited version' could be considered more of a rarity, if it's the same one that was shown on ITV all those years ago.

Where can I see that Ryan?

To be honest - yeah, I've seen the Pilot online so I'm not too fussed. In many ways I'm looking forward to seeing how the "ITV Edit" panned out since I was 4 when it was last shown on television in the UK, and therefore I don't remember it.

That said, I do distinctly remember the "Coming Soon" trailers for the show though - there's a version of them on YouTube but it's almost fair to say the version I saw will have been completely different to the YouTube upload, which was advertised as being on "ITV" - a term Central avoided using for years.

From a purely anoraky point of view, there's a few other gems:

1. A primetime showing for Dale's cot-based demise! This key episode only went out at lunchtime due to European Cup football (I remember distinctly having to tape it due to being at school!) so it'll right an historical wrong. I think the odd teatime showing got binned off if World Cup/Euro football ran into extra time or over Christmas/Bank Holidays in the early years, but this is one of the few "lunchtime-only" episodes. (Ironically, one of those was on Channel 5 when the reveal of Belle's mother (Amanda) was shoved off to 5* predecessor Five Life with only the lunchtime showing going out on analogue!)

2. The excellent 1996-1999 closing credits getting shown on television in the UK for the first time ever.

3. For credits fans, this is going to be a great chance to get some high-quality caps of opening and closing credits through the years. Apart from the recent caps from Australian repeats on 7TWO, the majority of caps that exist online from pre-2005 are sourced from VHS, with the exception of the odd one sourced from Norwegian transmissions who are about two years behind, conveniently around the time the capping technology caught up! ;)

4. Hopefully, none of ITV's cuts. That said, I'm a bit worried we're getting the ITV edit of the Pilot - although that edit might well be an official Seven edit, and we've blamed ITV's over-zealous scissors for 25 years!

I suspect that it was a case of a 60 minute version being prepared for overseas sales rather than ITV showing their usual lack of concern for the viewers or the narrative.I've heard that actually all they do is leave out the first half hour, cutting straight from the pre-credit sequence to the store scene that introduces Ailsa.Which actually kind of works, since Pippa basically comes in and goes "Hello, I'm Pippa Fletcher, I've just bought the caravan park with my husband Tom and our five foster children and we had a run-in with a local tearaway called Bobby who was hiding out in one of our vans and our new neighbour Donald Fisher dragged her off to the police because he says she broke into his house.How are you?"It's almost as though it was deliberately planned so it could start there if it needs to.

The only place you can see my attempted edit James is on my computer and it will probably stay there.

Stuff I cut out trying to get the show to down to 50 or so minutes was the bit before the opening credits, a lot of shots of cars getting driven about, completely leave out Lance and Martin and I don't think Fisher appears after he catches Bobby, you wouldn't know Steven does Karate. I think I've kept the general gist of the story though.

So they basically cut out the backstory of Tom losing his job and moving the Fletchers from the City to the Caravan Park.

Which, apart from the start of the 2008 Season Première, I guess you don't really need to know, on the other hand I'd argue that that part of the story is probably a hell of a lot more relevant to viewers today than it was in 1988!

Well, it's obvious from the rest of the episode that they're new in town and Tom being unemployed is a key issue of the rest of the pilot and the next few episodes but I guess you don't know all the details. (Although Steven does mention Tom losing his job in 1996!)

RadioTimes have updated the listing for the Pilot from 6-7pm to 6-8pm. Meaning we will probably get the full episode.

Also, the episodes for 1989, 1990 & 1992 are listed as...

1989 - Morag is revealed as Bobby's mum.

- Emma Jackson Arrives.

1990 - The Ironman competition.

- Tom's death.

1992 - Meg Dies

- Sophie gives birth to Tamara

Still down as an hour on MyDigiGuide, who have revealed which episodes will be shown during week one.

They are, as follows:

1988: Mon July 30 - The Pilot

1989: Tue July 31 - The One With Bobby's Mum & The One With Dannii Minogue

1990: Wed August 01 - The One With The Ironman Competition & The One With Tom's Car Crash

1991: Thu August 02 - The One With Pippa & Michael's Wedding & The One Where David Dies

1992: Fri August 03 - The One With Meg's Final Sunrise & The One Where Sophie Gives Birth

Really hope it's the full pilot, which has never been shown on television in the UK before.

Archived