Classic Episodes on 5★

Guest ter06

I'm sure she did play Irene as a drunk at the very beginning, like she had an initial relapse? I thought she was drunk when she was screaming for Damo and Fin outside Summer Bay House... That was Lynne McGranger wasn't it?

• Replies 575
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm pretty sure she didn't have a relapse.People seem to assume that because she wasn't all hearts and flowers and fluffy bunnys in the early days, she was drinking, when in fact that was her sober.(And she can still have an edge to her at times now anyway, she's not above the odd nasty remark or taking against someone.)Could be wrong and I might be misremembering things, I seem to remember Fin and Damian rejected her because they thought she'd inevitably relapse at some point and she ended up calling them "ungrateful brats" or something.I had no idea that wasn't Lynne McGranger in the early days until Channel 5 did a few mini-interviews with the actors around 2006/2007 and she was all "People think that was me, it wasn't."

Maybe it was before she came back as a regular, sober character that she played her as a drunk because she initially had a few weeks stint and then came back a few months/weeks later as a permanent character. I definitely remember Irene shouting and screaming outside Summer Bay House at the end of one episode and Fin and Damo were inside freaking out. I just can't remember if it was Lynne McGranger or not, I always thought it was.

Edit: Just read your comment about Lynne saying she hadn't played Irene drunk before the Lou storyline. That's interesting. Yeah you are probably right Red Ranger about getting aggressive mixed up with drunk. Maybe it was Lynne as Irene and she wasn't drunk when she was shouting outside SBH. Hopefully find out if 7TWO continue...

I seem to remember Lynne's first stint lasted quite a while, she might have left for a bit in the middle but she seems to have been there about three months(mainly because Debra Lawrence was on maternity leave and they needed a female presence at the caravan park).I think she came across pretty favourably on the whole, she got on well with Sally and was helping organising the school play.I remember when she came back as a regular, Alf and Michael assumed she was drinking again because she'd had a bottle of (non-alcoholic) champagne with her and they were having an ominous "Irene's back" chat in the store and Luke's all bemused "Irene's all right" and they're like "You don't know her like we do."

I'm pretty sure she didn't have a relapse.People seem to assume that because she wasn't all hearts and flowers and fluffy bunnys in the early days, she was drinking, when in fact that was her sober.(And she can still have an edge to her at times now anyway, she's not above the odd nasty remark or taking against someone.)Could be wrong and I might be misremembering things, I seem to remember Fin and Damian rejected her because they thought she'd inevitably relapse at some point and she ended up calling them "ungrateful brats" or something.I had no idea that wasn't Lynne McGranger in the early days until Channel 5 did a few mini-interviews with the actors around 2006/2007 and she was all "People think that was me, it wasn't."

In 2005/2006 she had moments of getting angry fast.

But 2010 is when she became a high and proper women like Ailsa was.

I seem to remember Lynne's first stint lasted quite a while, she might have left for a bit in the middle but she seems to have been there about three months(mainly because Debra Lawrence was on maternity leave and they needed a female presence at the caravan park).I think she came across pretty favourably on the whole, she got on well with Sally and was helping organising the school play.I remember when she came back as a regular, Alf and Michael assumed she was drinking again because she'd had a bottle of (non-alcoholic) champagne with her and they were having an ominous "Irene's back" chat in the store and Luke's all bemused "Irene's all right" and they're like "You don't know her like we do."

I remember when Irene first started working at the store, she climbed up the shelves in the store room to reach something that was high up and they all collapsed on her. She was kind of a comedy character to replace Marilyn for a while.

Irene at times feels like a different character - she can be quite judgemental at times, such as with Heath, whereas she used to be all for giving someone a fair go (given her own past). Is it just me or does her voice also sound different (mainly pronunciation) these days?

Irene changed around 2004/2005 Imo Up until then she was developing quite realistically each year. Then TPTB decided to stop bothering and since then she's just been Lynne McGranger sayings lines. It's as if the writers stop caring at a point and decide to let the actor just play themselves. Then they forget who the character is and think they have always been that way. It's lazy.

Irene at times feels like a different character - she can be quite judgemental at times, such as with Heath, whereas she used to be all for giving someone a fair go (given her own past). Is it just me or does her voice also sound different (mainly pronunciation) these days?

I have also noticed a change in her pronunciation! I think Lynne used to be a smoker so maybe her voice has recovered from all the chemicals?

Archived