Classic Episodes on 5★

Guest ter06

Oh and with the opening credits in the second episode - does anyone else find that shot of Tom & Pippa really jarring? She is clearly waiting for him to come up behind her, he sort of pauses and stumbles before putting his arms around her.

• Replies 575
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I think from day one Kate Ritchie was a star!! My mum always says Simon Barlow from Corrie is the best child actor she's ever seen and I text her last night saying "can you see Kate Ritchie- she'd eat Simon Barlow for breakfast?"

I suspect that it was a case of a 60 minute version being prepared for overseas sales rather than ITV showing their usual lack of concern for the viewers or the narrative.I've heard that actually all they do is leave out the first half hour, cutting straight from the pre-credit sequence to the store scene that introduces Ailsa.Which actually kind of works, since Pippa basically comes in and goes "Hello, I'm Pippa Fletcher, I've just bought the caravan park with my husband Tom and our five foster children and we had a run-in with a local tearaway called Bobby who was hiding out in one of our vans and our new neighbour Donald Fisher dragged her off to the police because he says she broke into his house.How are you?"It's almost as though it was deliberately planned so it could start there if it needs to.

I remember now! According to several sources, the original UK screening started with Ailsa tap-dancing, but like you say, you catch up with the previous half-hour in that scene. I'd be interested to know who did that edit - Thames in the UK or ATN in Australia? Is there any other record of which countries saw the pilot, and which edit they got? Which version did RTE show to Ireland? (Zip me up!)

Just scouring some figures, 221K is a smidgen under half what First Look normally picks up. I'm not sure what previous Summer Breaks have racked up but remember going back to the ITV era is pretty niche - in the middle of Summer, on a former "digital-only" channel*, when the Olympics are being hosted in the UK. (*I believe only the UTV region is yet to go all-digital, which in theory means everyone who can watch television on the mainland can watch 5*?) I hope it tempts some old-skool fans into trying out the "current" show - hell, even I may give it a go again!

By the way - if anyone here knows how to rip the video data from Demand Five's player... credits are intact and DOG free. Just saying.

The "third episode" is online - sadly not on Virgin Media though.

Was hoping we'd still be able to see those one a proper TV - unless you watch on a CRT, material shot on video in the 80s and 90s always looks like it's been shot on film.

The online-only episode is on Virgin Media, James. All three are now on their Demand 5 catch up service!

Regarding the pilot, I think it was ITV and not Seven that edited it. The first few seconds of the opening titles were missing ( these cross-faded from a pre-credits sequence on the original), and the end of the tune faded out quickly too where the missing scenes were cut. Just didn't look smooth enough to be an edit by Seven.

Interesting how you mention Thames (yes, they did network most of the early lunchtime episodes) - but of course they didn't show the pilot, LWT did! LWT and YTV showed it on the Sunday, a day later than the rest of the network!

Shame that Ailsa learning of her mother's death is flatly contradicted in 2000, when we're told she died while Ailsa was in prison and she wasn't allowed to attend the funeral.

I had completely forgotten Emma's 'sympathetic' announcement that Ailsa's mother had died. What a terrible way to find out, even if you weren't close. It was also strange to hear Emma say that her own mother (Ailsa's sister) had really put on weight. Unless she went on a crash diet before her appearance in 1990, I'd say the writers forgot that detail too!

Are the episodes 'stretched' for anyone else?

Whenever I would watch the occasional episode of Buffy on Syfy, the aspect ratio would change from 16:9 (widescreen) for the advertisements, to 4:3 (square) for Buffy, with the black side-bars popping up... I assumed the same would happen with these episodes, since they were made to be 'square', but instead they stretch to fill a wide-screen and it looks really dodgy. So is it a 5* thing, or a TV-settings thing? :)

Archived