Classic Episodes on 5★

Guest ter06

Well considering I never knew who David was and thought Karen left in 1993, I was lost for words when I watched her kill another character tonight. Like Red Ranger said, you see Karen campaigning to save a tree in current 7Two repeats, and then this. It makes me really sad as I love Karen. :( Like Beau said, her story becomes incredibly dark.

It also makes you realise how many characters stayed for such a short time in these years. A lot of 1 year or 2 year characters.

• Replies 575
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had to laugh at Sally's backward glance at Pippa's wedding dress when she talked about having a nightmare, almost as if she was thinking "Yeah, I wouldn't want to wear that either."

:lol:

Totally agree :lol: I know it was the 90's but even for then it didn't look good, explains why she was putting off wearing it! I quite liked the galahs, anyone can have lovebirds. Why did they all have to squeeze in the house when they have all that space outside?

It looked like Karen drove through some barriers that were put up due to roadworks, ignoring the stop sign. Quite agree Red, it's almost a given when a character in any soap say they are going away, will be back soon, even if it's the next town, something (usually bad) is going to happen to one of them.

I may be totally wrong, but wasn't Ben already in the army when he met Carly or did he leave and then sign up again? According to wikipedia (not sure how accurate it is) Ben was in the Army, left then joined up again, obviously without consulting Carly. You didn't need to be clairvoyant to know Carly was going to be won over by the fact Ben went AWOl to be with her.

What is it about the bay that attracts troubled teens, is there a secret sign only they can read?

Yeah, am I going to be crying every weekday for the next month?

I didn't know how Karen and Blake's stories panned out and I have to admit I'm finding it heartbreaking watching the turmoil they're going through. :(

Meanwhile, I can't wait for Greg in the 7Two episodes. HOT.

Had completley forgotten how frizzy Maz's hair used to be! It seemed that she was renting the beach house from Pippa as she was handing back the keys before taking back Sally and Murray (who he again?) for their dance lesson.

She was handing Pippa the keys to Lance/Colleen's mobile home.

I really love the scene where Pippa feels that she'd let Sophie down by missing the birth, we always see her as this super mum who has the answer for every occasion, but it's the little touches like that, as with her feeling she'd failed with Dodge, that makes her more human. Again, Sophie giving Pippa advice on Fin adds to that.

It looked like Karen drove through some barriers that were put up due to roadworks, ignoring the stop sign.

I may be totally wrong, but wasn't Ben already in the army when he met Carly or did he leave and then sign up again? According to wikipedia (not sure how accurate it is) Ben was in the Army, left then joined up again, obviously without consulting Carly. You didn't need to be clairvoyant to know Carly was going to be won over by the fact Ben went AWOl to be with her.

I thought she took a sharp left turn down a diversion too fast and went through the stop sign.I think Wikipedia's right on this one:Ben left the army when he and Carly got together, then joined up again shortly before they left.There was a weird Chinese whispers version of the storyline going around where several people seemed convinced that he lied about leaving the army and was AWOL for the whole of his time on the show.Thankfully, that one seems to have disappeared now.

I think watching some of these episodes for the first time is making my reaction more immediate and less insightful than it sometimes is.If I'd seen that accident several times or watched it out of context, I might have been examining it technically and wondering why a fairly mild collision sent David's car careering out of control and overturning.But the episode ratchetted up the tension so much, especially when I knew just how bad it's going to turn out for both David and Karen, that the emotional impact of the accident kind of took logic out of the equation.

We've now reached the point where I'm feeling properly nostalgic because this is the show I first watched:I started grinning like a loon when Finlay walked through Summer Bay House and at that pointed shot of Sally in Summer Bay High uniform in the opening credits.I think I even grinned when I saw Greg.And for the first time, two episodes with exactly the same opening titles.I remember Ryan and I contemplating the longest serving opening titles a couple of years back and I think that version was used for three quarters of the year.And Simon.When my brother and I first started watching, almost exactly halfway between these two episodes, we instantly went "It's Ryan from Neighbours!" and latched on to him as our favourite.Nowadays, anyone who's not an expert on either show would probably go "Who's he?" I think he pretty much ended up being the new Matt, the half of the double act that never gets any storylines.

I don't think it really sunk in how many death episodes we're getting, it's perhaps a good thing they're leaving out Dale and Michael.I literally had trouble sleeping after watching Karen Kills David.Fortunately, Meg's Sunrise hasn't left me haunted in the same way:It's an emotional tearjerker and possibly the first of its kind, with earlier deaths being abrupt with no time for last words and last wishes.I can see why the older fans always rave about it, there's a quiet simplicity to those last scenes that more recent episode-long attempts like Flynn and Belle haven't quite matched.Given we're all there for that last scene, I was surprised how little Meg actually appeared, even though I could feel myself welling up every time she was on screen, and Blake doesn't turn up until over halfway through.The rest of the stuff was actually pretty good:Another failed scheme by Adam which raised a few laughs and good to see a lot of Fin.And yes, that is the Irene that they're all talking about like she's the devil incarnate.Wonder how many people tuned in to that episode today, didn't realise Sophie was pregnant and thought she'd just put on weight?

And yes, Tamara's birth.I'm pretty sure ITV repeated a cut down version of this a couple of years later, with all the subplots removed and just focusing on the Sophie stuff.(I can clearly remember Ryan's only appearance in that version was standing silently next to Don at the end.)It is the first episode of this run I saw first time round though and I remember Sophie berating Michael as she gave birth, it's kind of appropriate he was there for her given he hadn't been all that supportive to start with.And the Northern District Hospital had much nicer rooms in those days.When the hell did Bobby get highlights?!And yet another of Adam's schemes backfiring on everyone.I am glad we got to see quite a bit of Simon here and he and Blake really do work well together.The bit where they realise Alf and Ailsa are going to the exact same restaurant that Adam's had them fork out for was the laugh out loud moment of the episode.

Two things I keep meaning to say:Is there a rule that every episode has to include Alf?!It's like we're in late 2010.And, after the promising start on Tuesday, they are now squeezing down the credits on the second episode.Fortunately, in those days the writing was big enough that you can still read it.

Just watched the online episode, didn't realise it was the 1992 premiere that had been chosen.

I take it they tried to be nostalgic with the music from the Frank/Bobby scene on the beach in the recap, but wasn't that "Frank/Roo's" theme?

ETA:I'm not quite understanding the Adam/Blake storyline. Also Blake was wearing trainers in at least one scene and others not.

Ailsa seems to have aged by 10 years since the pilot.

Archived