Classic Episodes on 5★

Guest ter06

This is a few days late as I recorded the episodes and am watching now but what I noticed about Tom's death is how consistent Pippa was written for over the years. She reacted in much the same way when Michael died and then in 2007, when the Summer Bay men went missing at sea, Pippa was blocking it out and Sally snapped saying she had always been the same. I knew she reacted like that to Michael's death but hadnt remembered Tom's. What we have there is 19 years of consitency, they can barely manage 19 minutes now!!

Also, was Marilyn the first character to live in the Beach House?

• Replies 575
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well considering I never knew who David was and thought Karen left in 1993, I was lost for words when I watched her kill another character tonight. Like Red Ranger said, you see Karen campaigning to save a tree in current 7Two repeats, and then this. It makes me really sad as I love Karen. :( Like Beau said, her story becomes incredibly dark.

It also makes you realise how many characters stayed for such a short time in these years. A lot of 1 year or 2 year characters.

Karen does return in 93

I know and that's why it felt like Carly and Steve stayed on the show much longer than three years.

Also H&A has seemed to go through far less regulars than Neighbours has!

Also, was Marilyn the first character to live in the Beach House?

Matt and Adam moved in a couple of weeks before her.

RR1, you're long post kept on confusing me. Every time I came up on a Ryan, I had to try and work out if you were talking about me or eh, Ryan.

Ah.Yeah.Didn't think of that.Whoops!(The fact I also mentioned a third Ryan from a completely different show probably didn't help.That was confusing at the time too.)

Its just dawned on me what a great character Karen was. Thank you to the repeats to make me see this. Someone with so much potential, but it all goes wrong because of the need to be loved by a boy who couldn't give a monkey's about you. So sad, but so identifiable. If only Steven of Hayden would have seen what a great girl she was. Nice to hear she sorted herself out by Blake in 2002. All in all, a underrated character.

Its just dawned on me what a great character Karen was. Thank you to the repeats to make me see this. Someone with so much potential, but it all goes wrong because of the need to be loved by a boy who couldn't give a monkey's about you. So sad, but so identifiable. If only Steven of Hayden would have seen what a great girl she was. Nice to hear she sorted herself out by Blake in 2002. All in all, a underrated character.

Yeah, Karen was really good. I think this is the kind of story they should have done with Brax and Charlie. But instead of emphasising how sad it is that Charlie threw away her professionalism, dignity and ultimately her life away for a complete tool, it's all been about "poor Brax".

Also looking forward to late 90s being on. Though in that time it was less about a stand alone ep and more about the the show is general. My personnal fav for that time would be when Diana got drunk at Irene's house but I doubt thats even an option. Still think 98 and 99 have been treated unfairly. We'll see I suppose on people opinions when they are shown. I liked the feel of the show at that time. Really though people like Justine and Joey could have developed into adult hood in the show

Thanks for those who put me straight regarding Marilyn and the keys.

It does get confusing when new characters come in who have the same name as previous ones. Yes red, they started off so well with the credits, but they are readable, unlike now when they whizz through them and they are small to start with anyway. The voice over bloke is really annoying though.

Lovely epsiode with Blake and Karen, though I imagine some who hadn't watched it first time round may have had difficulty in emphasising with them.

Quite realistic birth scenes with Sophie and good on you Michael for stepping in after Marilyn wimped out. I wondered the same as ct about Pippa having to get a cab, had she really walked back from the shops with all that shopping? Seems they did the same as they do now, mentioning an absent relataive (this time Irene) who turns up in the nextr few days, weeks.

Adam's scams were light relief from all the dramatic stuff, we're missing a character like him at the moment.

I agree entirely.I think if Dodge was Pippa's personal failure, then Karen was Alf and Ailsa's:More so, in a way, since her fate was almost entirely down to what happened while she was in their care.I seem to remember Alf in particular was always scared that Sarah was going to go the same way.I'd love to know how much of her storyline was planned from the start and how much they made up as it went along: You can see the subtle character arc as every boy she likes only wants to be friends with her and even though she puts on a smile and accepts it, deep down she's hurting, so when someone actually does take an interest in her she ends up sacrificing almost literally everything to hold onto him.

And without meaning to be too cynical about the current show, it's nice to be reminded of a time when it showed teenage girls that being in a relationship with a bad boy/criminal was something that would ruin their lives rather than something to aspire to.

Archived