Classic Episodes on 5★

Guest ter06

The stream is switching to 4:3 during playback on both my PVR and the computer, so the appropriate aspect ratio flag is obviously being transmitted, I imagine it must be TV settings which can always be a funny thing.

• Replies 575
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Go into your TV settings and make sure any auto-format switches are set to ON.

If your digital tuner is external to the television, go into their settings and make sure it's set to 16:9.

Failing that, your TV should have a number of options, including WIDE (which stretches out the picture - generally external tuners put out a squashed 4:3 picture and the WIDE setting compensates for this) SUPER LIVE (it's a kind of compromise setting) 14:9 and 4:3. Make sure you switch to 4:3 to watch Home & Away.

5* are transmitting the correct flags - so if you're on Auto Format it should switch to 4:3 after the Weight Watchers sting plays. Likewise, it'll go back to 16:9 at the break and the sting starts.

Interesting how you mention Thames (yes, they did network most of the early lunchtime episodes) - but of course they didn't show the pilot, LWT did! LWT and YTV showed it on the Sunday, a day later than the rest of the network!
True, although Thames as "nominated contractor" would have been responsible for compliance, etc. on behalf of the network. The baton passed to Carlton in 1993, which is where the scissors started putting in regular appearances.

By the time we got to 1993 we had the Network Centre and the lunchtime episode will have definitely been played out from there. When the major changes to the daytime schedule kicked in during September '93, Home & Away went to a networked 13:25-13:55 lunchtime showing - you got a repeat of the previous Emmerdale or Corrie 12:55-13:25 I remember, which the odd region were already doing I think.

I didn't realise what a difference watching episodes on a TV makes. I have appreciated the episodes I've watched from 7Two but watching Tom's death just now I felt a lot more involved than I did watching it on my laptop.

Having the opportunity to watch these episodes right now is nothing short of AMAZING. I hope the ratings continue to be high for 5* and they end up deciding to buy more episodes.

Saw the second half of the pilot on Monday but missed yesterday's episodes (I'll catch up with them later). Man these episodes bring back some memories. I forgot how much I used to enjoy the intro. God old Emma. Used to fancy her. It's all coming back now...there was also that other girl she had a feud with and Grant saved her from drowning. Vicky, yes that was her name. Used to fancy her too. Then there's that bloke from Charmed. Carly's future husband. I was actually quite pleased Emma and Adam didn't get the better of Grant considering how they tried to sabotage his chances of winning. Can remember seeing the second episode the first time round with Pippa's delayed reaction to Tom's death then her breaking down a couple of episodes later.

Shame that Ailsa learning of her mother's death is flatly contradicted in 2000, when we're told she died while Ailsa was in prison and she wasn't allowed to attend the funeral.

I had completely forgotten Emma's 'sympathetic' announcement that Ailsa's mother had died. What a terrible way to find out, even if you weren't close. It was also strange to hear Emma say that her own mother (Ailsa's sister) had really put on weight. Unless she went on a crash diet before her appearance in 1990, I'd say the writers forgot that detail too!

Yes, that occurred to me as well.Guess Emma was being grumpy.Or she's really hard on people's weight.

Well...the first episode today wasn't what I was expecting, I didn't look at the synopses so expected The One With The Ironman Competition to actually feature the Ironman competition rather than a load of people talking about it.It didn't help that I found myself getting more involved in the Al/Sophie stuff than the ostensible focus of Craig-McLachlan-as-Grant-Mitchell getting a flat tyre and Doctor Doom and a guy who looks like Luke Cunningham(watch on Monday)drinking coffee, I found myself disappointed that plotline was left dangling, since I was rooting for Bobby and Matt to help her at the end.Obviously from around the time Adam took over from Martin as the local scam artist, seeing these episodes back to back it seems like he's got more of an edge to him, maybe because he comes over as more intelligent.Ben comes across as Dave's willing partner in crime here too, he seemed to get more aloof as the storyline went on.

I have to say, Channel 5 have been making some good choices about which episode to focus on:Instead of Dannii Minogue's first appearance where she appears for a few seconds at the end, they show the next one where she actually gets something to do.And instead of showing an ordinary episode where Tom keels over at the end, they show the one dealing with the aftermath.It felt pretty raw in places, with Steven, Bobby and Alf's reactions being particularly telling.(Although Ben and Grant seemed to stand there doing nothing for an awfully long time after being confronted with a car crash and two teenage girls begging for them to help.)The subplot of the kids carrying on with their dance lessons without knowing what's going on didn't seem as jarring as it could have been and Marilyn was pretty good here.Man, Sally could be a stroppy madam at times when she was young...

I have to say, Channel 5 have been making some good choices about which episode to focus on:Instead of Dannii Minogue's first appearance where she appears for a few seconds at the end, they show the next one where she actually gets something to do.And instead of showing an ordinary episode where Tom keels over at the end, they show the one dealing with the aftermath.

I was going to say the same thing, it's a good change to the choices they used to make. There's been plenty of occasions with these mixture of episodes where they've had the big event occur right at the end and then we don't see the follow-up. It's the best of both worlds now in that we see the event in the recap, and can then see the aftermath which is often where the best scenes are :wink:

Archived