Classic Episodes on 5★

Guest ter06

We saw when Bobby found out Morag was her mother, but when did she find out Donald was her father?

Had completley forgotten how frizzy Maz's hair used to be! It seemed that she was renting the beach house from Pippa as she was handing back the keys before taking back Sally and Murray (who he again?) for their dance lesson.

Ae we going to see early appearences of Colleen?

Bobby found out thirty episodes later, so six weeks.Marilyn had just moved into the beach house from Lance's mobile home so she was giving Pippa the keys to that.Murray/Mullet was the younger brother of Steven's friend Paul, who dated Emma for a bit, and a schoolmate and kind of platonic boyfriend of Sally:The whole family just vanished one day in late 1990.Colleen only made a handful of appearances in the '80s so we've gone shooting past those, she's not seen again until the late 90s.(Shame we didn't get a Viv episode, she's another of those obscure-but-surprisingly-good characters from the early days.)

Phew!

Well, for anyone watching the repeats on 7Two, we've now gone shooting past that era and it kind of feels like we're watching spoiler episodes and wondering how long we've got until Nick Parrish turns up.I actually saw that first episode online a few years ago so it wasn't quite as jarring.Jumping from Tom's death to The Pippa Everyone Remembers marrying Michael does kind of underline that there was only about a year between them.Found that episode rather amusing in places, with Michael's desperate quest for black socks and finally a glimpse of the new, improved Don as he desperately tries to fob Sally and Sophie off.Had to laugh at Sally's backward glance at Pippa's wedding dress when she talked about having a nightmare, almost as if she was thinking "Yeah, I wouldn't want to wear that either."(Look back on the early 90s and cringe...)It always shocks me how young Pippa looks at this point, I think I kind of think of Debra as the more adult Pippa.A quick glimpse of a young Naomi Watts as Nick's girlfriend(and for anyone not picking up on the subtle link, the brother of hers that gets in trouble with the law was the guy from the second episode.)And not so much the beginning of the end as the eve of the end for Carly, kind of symbolic in a way.

Really jarring for 7Two viewers is suddenly being presented with Evil Karen(complete with Evil Costume Makeover)when we're still watching Goody Two Shoes Karen.If you want every teenage girl in two countries to hate you, killing Guy Pearce is a good way to do it.She did actually seem genuinely upset afterwards, despite being quick to put the blame on Adam.Adam, incidentally, came across a lot better in these two episodes, being more of a loveable rogue in the first one(and actually showing Alf some flaming galahs), then being almost heroic here as he tries and fails to save Karen from herself.I had no idea Haydn was still around at that point, he actually came over pretty well.Certainly better than Michael and Don, who I really wanted to strangle at various points.From the amount of times Sophie and David kept saying "It's only two weeks", they really were tempting fate.And I was pretty much screaming "Stop concentrating on the tape and watch the road!"I didn't think the stunt was that bad, even if it wasn't entirely clear what the rules of cause and effect were, I'm assuming David was meant to have had some sort of head injury.More concerned about how the police arrived at an accident on a deserted road a)so quickly and b)at all, Karen didn't even seem to have got out of the car when we first heard sirens(and in the days before the proliferation of mobiles she'd have had to have run to the nearest phone box)and everyone else present wasn't in any condition to call for help.Gosh, I've been wondering for nearly twenty years exactly what happened.

• Replies 575
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've seen the clip of the crash online many times, and always assumed it was the end of episode cliffhanger. Judging from the synopsis above, sounds like it wasn't? I really like the suspense music in the lead up to the crash, it gives me goosepimples.

Karen is SUCH a goody goody in current 7Two episodes it's really it's quite extraordinary how dark her story becomes. I wonder if the writers wanted to write Karen out or if Belinda Emmett decided to leave.

Nope, that surprised me too as it's a long time since I've seen it properly - the crash was before the final ad break, the episode finished on Nick informing Karen that David was dead as he and Adam were taken away.

Well the 2 episodes from tonight were the first I haven't seen before because I watch the 7Two episodes once they find their way on to Youtube. The next I'll be able to remember will be around 1996/1997 when I was but a little 6/7 year old (but i've seen Shane's death before online).

I have to say I enjoy old H&A much more and have thoroughly enjoyed the 700+ episodes 7Two have got through thus far. That second episode tonight really was terrible/awesome at the same time for obvous reasons. I even found myself going "oh nooooo" at the screen, which is a massive reaction by my standards! Mike from Neighbours the victim of a car crash - shocking. I echo what someone else has put about the suspense created by the music. I absolutely love the music in old H&A - the music in the current show, like so many things now, is absolutely rubbish for me in terms of creating any sort of suspense. I was talking to a friend about how much better the cliffhangers used to be aswell. Freeze frame, 80s/early 90s dramatic music, home and away logo unravels across the screen. Nowadays the cliffhangers don't feel half as dramatic (or occasionally it was a funny cliffhanger in the Early Years).

Karen is SUCH a goody goody in current 7Two episodes it's really it's quite extraordinary how dark her story becomes. I wonder if the writers wanted to write Karen out or if Belinda Emmett decided to leave.

It's a shock to realise we're only about 6/7 months away from that episode.I see her accidentally kill a guy, then I put on the latest 7Two episodes and find her campaigning to save a tree.It's like if Sally suddenly put on a tight-fitting outfit and shot Don Fisher with an uzi.The real tragedy is you can see the old Karen is still in there, it's just her obsessive devotion to Revhead overrides everything.(Can't help wondering if Sophie did more damage than she thought by hooking up with the guy Karen liked.)Before she turned up on 7Two, all I'd seen of Karen was when Belinda Jarrett briefly returned in 1993 and the character was very much the troublemaker.It's quite a shock to see how "butter wouldn't melt" she started out.

I think the second episode tomorrow is the point where we catch up with the episodes I saw when they were first on over here.I think it also marks the point where I'll have to start tracking down the online only episodes because I won't have seen them in ages.(Or at all in the case of the 1992 one and possibly a couple of others.)

I've not watched the episodes earlier this week, partly because I was working, but also because I've got a copy of these episodes already. I'll echo calls that it certainly is a much better experience watching on a TV (particularly live TV) than a file on the internet. It actually felt pretty bizarre turning the TV on and watching the 1991 credits, despite the fact I've watched episodes on DVD on my TV before.

I had seen the first episode, and it was pretty much wedding fare wasn't it. Last minute nerves, people getting stressed and then the ceremony. Certainly something that makes you say hang on is the fact that that episode is 10 weeks away in Australia and there's people like Nick there.

Had to laugh at Sally's backward glance at Pippa's wedding dress when she talked about having a nightmare, almost as if she was thinking "Yeah, I wouldn't want to wear that either."

:lol:

The second episode is one I had never seen in it's entirety and I agree with the jarring nature of seeing Karen here and the character we see in current Australian episodes. Tomorrows 1992 episodes, I won't have seen the online episode, whatever it is, but I have seen the two episodes on 5*.

We have Meg's death tomorrow. If current viewers watch just one episode, make it this one - the highest-rated in H&A history.

I thought I read an interview with John Holmes during Sally's Stabbing, that the highest rated episode of all time was Bobby's death?

Archived