1989 Episode Discussion

Guest Dan F

Sorry for the influx of posts.

The characterisation at this point in 1989 is a bit all over the place. Viv seems to be getting some sort of sadistic pleasure out of coming between Emma's plan of hooking up with Steven. Emma stops being a punk and is suddenly all friendly to everyone and never seems to be coming out with these brilliant one liners anymore.

I do love Morag though, and she will be a loss when she leaves at this point in time. She really was a super-b*tch in the 80s and Ithink it's a shame that the current writers have watered her down so much. It's such a shame that she's just been reading a newspaper in Summer Bay House for the last 6 months. That's not what the character is about.

I really couldn't give a dam about Viv becoming a punk/letting her hair down. She annoys me no end.

I hate how Ailsa wouldn't give Morag a chance. Saying Danny needed to see a councilor as if his behaviour was normal, despite the fact that he mumbled about murdering her several times to other characters like Donald and Bobby.

• Replies 896
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The whole "everyone thinks Pippa's having an affair" thing is a bit silly:I can understand Tom since he really couldn't tell from his angle that Pippa wasn't enjoying the kiss.It's not exactly out of character for Carly, Bobby or Alf to go off half-cocked(and I'm not entirely sure whether Bobby believes it or not)but Ailsa disappointed me, she seemed to make her mind up even before she found out Carly thought the same.It's hard to shake the feeling it could all be sorted out easily if they just bothered to talk to Pippa.

I agree. I hope they all feel dreadful for being so quick to jump to the worst conclusions about Pippa. I find it quite hard to believe Carly and Bobby wouldn't just talk to Pippa about it. I feel sorry for her, she thinks the world of her family and kids and yet they are backstabbing her. They are supposed to know her more than we (the audience) do and yet we all know how out of character it would be for Pippa to simply start having an affair.

I actually dont have any memory of this storyline, perhaps I blocked it out because it was so flawed.

Yay, I've finally reached the end of the season!! :) It has been enjoyable, although I agree with certain points of view made earlier in the thread; the end of the season hasn't been as good as the beginning. It has felt like most of the stories are community-based and light-hearted as opposed tom the hard-hitting plots of '88 and early 1989.

Emma seems to have totally changed as a character. It seems odd that she just stopped being a goth one day, annoyingly changing herself to impress Steven. I don't get the Viv/Steven/Emma plot. At first Steven liked Viv and she didn't seem that interested. Then Emma became interested in Steven, and Viv only became interested in him because she didn't like the thought of Emma having him. Then suddenly Emma doesn't seem to care anymore, and it's never mentioned again (thus far) that she was ever interested in him?! I'm confused. And I was shocked that the final scene was a teen plot and the shark still being alive :o

I don't know what to say about Pippa/Zack. The whole thing seems TOTALLY contrived. Poor writing really, but in comparison to '88 the writing hasn't been great. I've loved the year anyway, though. There's a real escapist feel about watching the show around this time period.

BTW this thread is on page 88, I think it should reach 89 pages as it's the 1989 episode thread :P

At first Steven liked Viv and she didn't seem that interested. Then Emma became interested in Steven, and Viv only became interested in him because she didn't like the thought of Emma having him. Then suddenly Emma doesn't seem to care anymore, and it's never mentioned again (thus far) that she was ever interested in him?! I'm confused.

Yeah unless I've missed something this is still the case in current eps. Emma seemed to just forget one day that she was ever interested in Steve.

There's a real escapist feel about watching the show around this time period.

Completely agree with this and loving it!

It seemed as though when Steven set Emma up with Rory to avoid spending time with her she kind of got the message and realised he wasn't interested.Viv's character development did seem to be all over the place though, going from just liking Steven as a friend to having liked him all along but not doing anything about it because she thought she was leaving in what felt like a bit of a narrative U-turn.But hey, they're cute together so I don't mind that much.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm watching the episodes were it's been revealed that Dodge burnt down Ailsa's store and killed Phillip..

Wasn't Steven the one to swear revenge of the person who killed his uncle long before he found out who did it??

And then, when he was about to hit Dodge all of a sudden he don't want revenge anymore :huh:

Or did he grow too close to Dodge when he lived with the Fletcher family that he didn't wanna hurt him anymore?

I liked Phillip and after Dodge burnt down the store I have never really liked him.. And he wasn't really nice to Sally either.

Archived