1989 Episode Discussion

Guest Dan F

I actually found the aftermath of Rory's death quite emotional.It takes some good acting and writing to make us care about the fate of a character that we only knew a few weeks.Although the cynic in me can't help wondering about the discussions when they came up with this storyline:

"Hey, I've got a great idea for the end of the season!A shark!"

"That's great!But hang on, how's that going to work?It's not like anyone important can be attacked by a shark."

"Well...what about we bring someone in for three weeks and have the shark kill him?"

"Perfect!"

I was surprised when Sally said she was going on holiday with Ross and Louise, I was expecting them to just be forgotten about after the abrupt end to their storyline.I'm glad in a way since I liked Louise and she did deserve to stay in touch with Sally.Wonder when she stops mentioning them since they didn't seem to be around when she was older...

I do like Carly but I can see why people wouldn't.She can be selfish and a bit unpleasant at times and isn't the most mature of people but there is a kind heart in there, deep down.

• Replies 896
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I actually found the aftermath of Rory's death quite emotional.It takes some good acting and writing to make us care about the fate of a character that we only knew a few weeks.

Yes I agree. I also think it was realistically written, just like the characters in Summer Bay, we only knew Rory for a couple of weeks so their feelings of shock and sadness could easily be empathised by the viewers. I also think it was interesting how Rory had made his life up to his sister. Like I said before, very bitter sweet and rather emotional.

I recall being VERY shocked back in the day - I assumed Rory was a new regular/semi-regular (ala Andrew and Stacey).

I think they deliberately made him seem like a new regular character by establishing him well in the community, making him a likeable character etc, for the shock factor of killing him. They really could have killed off Stacey or Andrew instead of going to this effort, but I don't think any of the characters cared about them as much as they cared about Rory!

Yes a tame season finale. Tom did catch Zac kissing Pippa. I can't believe that Carly, Bobby, Alf, Ailsa and Tom would actually think Pippa would ever cheat on Tom espicially with Zac. Pippa wouldnt be his girlfriend if he were the last guy on Earth

Been VERY disappointed with the show of late, in regards to one particular storyline. No prizes for guessing which one, it's the Pippa “affair”.

Disgusted that everyone would just assume that it's happening with absolutely ZERO proof. How about stop spreading rumours and actually asking her flat out what is happening? Disappointed with Carly, and Bobby, but especially Ailsa, she of all people should know better.

Pippa having an affair with a creep like that, while Tom is recovering, give me a break, and people actually believing the rumours, pathetic. I know it’s a soap but c’mon...

Archived