1989 Episode Discussion

Guest Dan F

To be completely honest...I'm not enjoying this run of storylines either. I'm quite miffed at Alf/Ailsa, Bobby, Carly and now Tom think Pippa's having an affair with awful Zac! Carly was the one who started it first and I'm quite mad at her. She should have more faith in her foster mother! And I'd never think Ailsa would believe it either. And Tom...Pippa has stuck by him through thick and thin and did that kiss look like a happy, romantic one to you? No, it didn't. Zac forced himself on poor Pippa. Hope this messy storyline gets resolved and Zac is sent packing.

I did like the episode where Andrew and Adam turned the tables on him, finally Andrew does something useful.

• Replies 896
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I've just watched episodes 412 to 422, the cliffhanger of which is Viv walking into the classroom dressed like Emma. I've enjoyed the show, but not as much as the early part of 1989 and definitely not as much as 1988. I'm really looking forward to the 1990 season. I think this season the cast starts to feel very fragmented and the newer characters, except Marilyn, aren't as good as the originals from 1988. Lance and Martin are doing my head in, and I wish Floss and Neville had stayed in their place to be honest.

-Emma is turning out to be a really interesting character. I love how they tied Ailsa's time in prison to the story, and how it made Emma respect her so much more. I'm glad it was brought up as it makes for excellent continuity. I also love how Ailsa clammed up when Emma asked about her time in prison, considering how it is later revealed that Ailsa had a child in prison, Shauna.

-It strikes me how brilliant the characterisation of Sally is from very early on. I would say she is very easily my favourite character of the last twenty episodes or so. It's amazing how natural Kate Ritchie is in the role at such an early age. Easily one of the best child actresses to ever appear on any soap. You can see why she turns out to be such a legend of H&A. I really love her friendship with Lance. Although he annoys me a lot of the time, this is one time that I can bear the character. The fish storyline was quite stupd though.

-I love Morag getting a dog, it's produced some brilliant comedic scenes :lol:

-The guy that plays Danny Price is really hot. I'm now gonna search him on IMDB :lol:

^Thanks for the heads up.

There may be an influx of posts from me in the '89 thread as I catch up with thetail-end of the season. Just watched up to 429.

What is wrong with Rory, does he have some kind of condition? Is it ever confirmed?

I seem to remember thinking that Lance and Martin were central to the show, but to me it seems like the writers have lost their way with them this year, I don't like their stories at all. It's like they go round and round in circles with their stories and every outcome is so predictable. When they go and bet their money you just know they're going to lose and it's hard to feel sorry for them.

I still love Celia.

Why was everyone so annoyed with Mick for making a bet?! Yeah, I know he bet Stacey's ring but otherwise I don't see what wouldhave been wrong with him betting?

You know, once Morag leaves the show and that dreadful Danny storyline is finished, I actually enjoyed the last 2-3 weeks of the season. I mean, none of it the greatest of stuff, but without that plonker delivering his monologues to the camera every second scene I enjoyed a lot more.

I wonder if BTTB had been around in 1989 whether we would have SteViv-ettes.

^

Why was everyone so annoyed with Mick for making a bet?! Yeah, I know he bet Stacey's ring but otherwise I don't see what wouldhave been wrong with him betting?

I think he had a gambling problem. I think he was under 18 isnt gambling illegal if your a miner? Im pretty sure it is.

Now made it up to the finale!Thought it was quite a good note to go out on actually:Tom saw Pippa kissing Zac, Steven and Viv got together and there's a ruddy great shark out in the bay.Not every year's going to end with a building exploding and the entire cast either dead or about to die.Not as if anyone was left in mortal danger at the end of 2010 either.

The whole "everyone thinks Pippa's having an affair" thing is a bit silly:I can understand Tom since he really couldn't tell from his angle that Pippa wasn't enjoying the kiss.It's not exactly out of character for Carly, Bobby or Alf to go off half-cocked(and I'm not entirely sure whether Bobby believes it or not)but Ailsa disappointed me, she seemed to make her mind up even before she found out Carly thought the same.It's hard to shake the feeling it could all be sorted out easily if they just bothered to talk to Pippa.

Zac faking a shark catch is a bit odd, the implication earlier was that he'd have caught the shark straightaway if Gordon hadn't been paying him off.Was it because he was on a time limit?

Archived