Marilyn Chambers - Emily Symons

At this stage, Marilyn has confirmed that her cancer has returned

I don't think she has...

That is not to say I know any more than anybody else, as I'm completely in the dark, but I'm sure she hasn't stated that her cancer has returned. Infact I distinctly remember one scene in which she told Rachel that her scans were "all clear". And when Alf asked her if it was back, all said was "I prefer not to use big words like cancer". I think there's much more to this than meets the eye.

I'm suspending jusgement. We all know that in soap land cancers can be cured miraculously.

I agree, I am not making my mind up yet. This is the show where dead characters live in fridges so I am being optomistic :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

What does anyone think Marilyn was referring too during her return episode on the phone to her mate when she said 'No, no that's all water under the bridge...I guess I'll find out when I get there...I hope so. Mitzy, dont worry about me I'm going to be fine...'?

Also wanted to give a nod to the 'Maz theme' they have payed a few times, espeically during sentimental scenes such as her return, talk with Alf about 'cancer', getting the bait shop...

Edited by alexx

^Well, I guess the obvious answer is that she was talking about her maybe-cancer and the likelihood of the town gossip still hating her...It's curious that at the time I thought she seemed as though she was running away from something, I think she said something to Justin about "Some bad things happened, some very bad things", although again that could just be the mystery illness.

I have to say, maybe it's because I've got used to her, but I think the writing of Marilyn has improved since she first came in.At first there was a feeling that we somehow weren't allowed to laugh at her or the characters weren't, that unless everyone bit their tongue Alf would come down on them like a ton of bricks.But since the fake engagement storyline it seems as though someone's remembered that however much Alf adores her, she still drives him and everyone else mad sometimes.As a result, her relationship with the other characters seems to have become a lot more believable and ironically a lot warmer.

• 4 weeks later...

I always did like Marilyn, but im loving her even more second time round :D she is like a breath of fresh air sweeping through the bay, she has such an infectous and bubbly outlook on life even though she has a serious illness.

I hope she sticks around for a very long time :)

• 2 weeks later...

This is more of a observation, but does anyone else think the writers seem to have forgotten about writing the little quirky/dizzy things in to Marlyn's dialogue?

It feels like after the Christmas production break they have kind of phased that part of the character out or forgotten about that aspect of the character, which was extreemly prominent back in her first two stints.

When she first arrived they kept it up, with her 'I'm very good at first aid as well' - 'This is a road, we're going to get squished' - 'Do you want me to cut your hair?' (at the totally wrong time to ask) - 'That'd make me a cougar! hahaha Raoww!' etc she no longer seems to talk really fast about nothing during conversations etc These little quirks seem to have vanished in favor of sharp come backs and quick wit - kinda the opposite of what she used to be like... What do you guys think?

Edited by alexx

I completely agree. The "dizzy" side of her character has been dropped but (for whatever reason) this was deliberate. Emily said it on one of the video interviews on the official site. She said something like "She is less dizzy and more spiritual"... I guess they wanted to take the character in a different direction, maybe they were worried about just making her a cartoon of her former self?

It's a shame, I miss dizzy clutzy Marilyn but I still love the Marilyn we have now, I wouldn't give her up for all the tea in China :D