Marilyn Chambers - Emily Symons

I think the producers want to try and balance between her fun side and her more serious side.

I agree, I think that is what they are doing. I just dont think it is the right thing to do with a character like Marilyn, or at least, I dont think it is working becuase the balance isn't there Imo

Edited by alexx

• 3 weeks later...

Yep its me again ranting about how the writers are screwing up Marilyn.

Please see this topic - Warning it contains a spoiler - http://www.backtothebay.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=42206 - It is such a huge shame that fans are now saying they are finding Marilyn annoying, irritating, a meddler and a 'selfish cow'. This so not a description I would ever imagine people writing about her and yet this storyline and just the general way she is being written, this is the result.

Please writers, if you do read these threads can you make a change becuase you are ruining a classic character by not understanding her or being ignorant as to what and who she is. You are turning a fun, bubbly, dizzy, positive woman into a tragic, obsessive over emotional wreck. I feel sorry for her.

Edited by alexx

I can't say I was ever a huge fan of Marilyn, sometimes I liked her, sometimes I tolerated her, sometimes I found her annoying and, yes, selfish and also rather judgemental.I don't know if people look at her with rose-tinted glasses and go "She was never like that in the old days."I think perhaps the tone is the problem.If she was being annoying and selfish in a comedy plotline or in a plotline that didn't really involve her, you could laugh at her or dismiss her.But now they've got her at the centre of a major storyline, behaving in an immature manner and playing with people's lives, the behaviour becomes a bit more difficult to justify.

But now they've got her at the centre of a major storyline, behaving in an immature manner and playing with people's lives, the behaviour becomes a bit more difficult to justify.

^ which is precicely why I hated this storyline from the second Nicole told Marilyn "I'm pregnant." Because it was obvious what was coming - and there's only one way a storyline like this can play out, and I knew what it meant for Marilyn.

Her fun side returned last night and Marilyn should maybe break with Sid if it means her fun character will return. But I like family unit and Marilyn is like a mother to the kids. I don't want Ruth to be ruined after Geogie has made Ruth great character with out being a cow.

Edited by john003au

But now they've got her at the centre of a major storyline, behaving in an immature manner and playing with people's lives, the behaviour becomes a bit more difficult to justify.

^ which is precicely why I hated this storyline from the second Nicole told Marilyn "I'm pregnant." Because it was obvious what was coming - and there's only one way a storyline like this can play out, and I knew what it meant for Marilyn.

Maybe I'm just naive but it really didn't occur to be that Marilyn would try to get her hands on the baby.I assumed she'd just be a supportive friend to Nicole, which she actually seemed to be fairly good at last year.Then I read the spoilers for premiere week and thought "You have got to be joking."My hatred for Marilyn pretty much kicked in then and hasn't really abated.

The thing is...if you split Marilyn and Sid up

and that's apparently what they're doing

, what are you going to do with her?She's got no job, not many friends, and while she hasn't exactly shone as a parent figure for Indi and Dex, I'm not sure it would be improved by having her hang around the caravan park not really doing anything, which is mainly what happened until she and Sid got together.I think that would actually make the caravan park seem like a dumping ground for characters who don't fit in anywhere else again after they did start to seem like a family last year,

especially with Nicole going

Maybe I'm just naive but it really didn't occur to be that Marilyn would try to get her hands on the baby.I assumed she'd just be a supportive friend to Nicole, which she actually seemed to be fairly good at last year.Then I read the spoilers for premiere week and thought "You have got to be joking."My hatred for Marilyn pretty much kicked in then and hasn't really abated.

, what are you going to do with her?She's got no job, not many friends, and while she hasn't exactly shone as a parent figure for Indi and Dex, I'm not sure it would be improved by having her hang around the caravan park not really doing anything, which is mainly what happened until she and Sid got together.I think that would actually make the caravan park seem like a dumping ground for characters who don't fit in anywhere else again after they did start to seem like a family last year,

I disagree with every word. Marilyn is friends with Irene, Leah, Gina, Colleen (sort of).

And she runs the Juice Bar.

I think it's time she moved back in with Irene and that they have some storylines together.

And I think she doing a pretty good job with Dexter and Indi and she doesn't want to be acting too much like their Mum.

Edited by QUIET ACHIEVER
SPAG

I disagree with every word. Marilyn is friends with Irene, Leah, Gina, Colleen (sort of).

And she runs the Juice Bar.

I think it's time she moved back in with Irene and that they have some storylines together.

And I think she doing a pretty good job with Dexter and Indi and she doesn't want to be acting too much like their Mum.

Was the "sort of" for everyone or just Colleen?I can't remember her exchanging more than the most basic of pleasantries with Leah or Gina and Irene only just squeezes in because they were friends 15 years ago.She's spent more time with the likes of Miles, Nicole, Alf or Angelo than a random bunch of women over 30.To be fair, though, you could say that about most HA characters, they all seem to have one or two friends at best.Not sure if she's still working at the juice bar or not, probably not, John seems to be running it and she mentioned earlier in the year her fortune telling business had failed.

I accept Marilyn's done a pretty good job with Dex, maybe more so than Sid.Not so sure about Indi, she doesn't seem to have the same close big sister-type relationship with her that she did with Nicole and her advice has been a bit oft kilter.

Moving her in with Irene would be as good/bad an idea as moving her into the caravan park house but it suffers the same problem that it would be hard to create a family feeling about the household and just make it seem like a random collection of characters living together.

Maybe I'm just naive but it really didn't occur to be that Marilyn would try to get her hands on the baby.

It occurred to me immediately. Wanting a baby is a huge part of Marilyn's character, and she had literally just finished talking about how her life was at a standstill, and it was clear Nicole wasn't especially happy about being pregnant. I just thought it was obvious.

I assumed she'd just be a supportive friend to Nicole, which she actually seemed to be fairly good at last year.Then I read the spoilers for premiere week and thought "You have got to be joking."My hatred for Marilyn pretty much kicked in then and hasn't really abated.

I was feeling that hatred also, although it's more a hatred of the writers for taking such an obvious story down and even more obvious route. It would have been much more original to do a surrogacy/adoption storyline where the adoptive mum to be doesn't come across as a needy control freak. We could have seen a continuation of that bond between Nicole and Marilyn that you mentioned from 2010. It certainly would have been more in keeping with Marilyn's nice nature and on the whole would have been a much more uplifting and interesting storyline.