Marilyn Chambers - Emily Symons

The thing is...if you split Marilyn and Sid up

and that's apparently what they're doing

, what are you going to do with her?She's got no job, not many friends, and while she hasn't exactly shone as a parent figure for Indi and Dex, I'm not sure it would be improved by having her hang around the caravan park not really doing anything, which is mainly what happened until she and Sid got together.I think that would actually make the caravan park seem like a dumping ground for characters who don't fit in anywhere else again after they did start to seem like a family last year,

especially with Nicole going

I disagree with every word. Marilyn is friends with Irene, Leah, Gina, Colleen (sort of).

And she runs the Juice Bar.

I think it's time she moved back in with Irene and that they have some storylines together.

And I think she doing a pretty good job with Dexter and Indi and she doesn't want to be acting too much like their Mum.

Was the "sort of" for everyone or just Colleen?I can't remember her exchanging more than the most basic of pleasantries with Leah or Gina and Irene only just squeezes in because they were friends 15 years ago.She's spent more time with the likes of Miles, Nicole, Alf or Angelo than a random bunch of women over 30.To be fair, though, you could say that about most HA characters, they all seem to have one or two friends at best.Not sure if she's still working at the juice bar or not, probably not, John seems to be running it and she mentioned earlier in the year her fortune telling business had failed.

I accept Marilyn's done a pretty good job with Dex, maybe more so than Sid.Not so sure about Indi, she doesn't seem to have the same close big sister-type relationship with her that she did with Nicole and her advice has been a bit oft kilter.

Moving her in with Irene would be as good/bad an idea as moving her into the caravan park house but it suffers the same problem that it would be hard to create a family feeling about the household and just make it seem like a random collection of characters living together.

I mean she's starting to be sort of friends with her [Colleen].

Edited by Jen
SPAG

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I'd throw in a positive post because I think this week the writing has improved with Marilyn some how, especially Thursday's episode (5279) - the entire episode she was very much in character, including her flustering, making mistakes and then trying to make up for them. And its probably note worthy that Sid was no where to be seen. Emily was also full of life. Good, hope it continues.

Edited by alexx

• 2 weeks later...

I think it's telling that even when either the writers or Emily Symons try and make Marilyn cute and funny, she still acts like a controlling bully.She was bad enough when she first came in and we were apparently supposed to think she was lovable for messing around with other people's homes and lives without any thought to their feelings but she's even worse now.She really is nothing more or less than a younger Colleen, even down to her catchphrase, which seems to provoke the same "Oh god, it's her again" reaction from the other characters.

I think it's telling that even when either the writers or Emily Symons try and make Marilyn cute and funny, she still acts like a controlling bully.She was bad enough when she first came in and we were apparently supposed to think she was lovable for messing around with other people's homes and lives without any thought to their feelings but she's even worse now.She really is nothing more or less than a younger Colleen, even down to her catchphrase, which seems to provoke the same "Oh god, it's her again" reaction from the other characters.

:o When has she been a bully?

Edited by Jen

:o When has she been a bully?

This week alone at UK pace, she's barged into Roo's house and ordered her to stay away from Nicole because she doesn't want her putting ideas in her head.Then she's barged into Nicole's house, told her what she's got to do, kept her a virtual prisoner there and refused to let her do what she wants because Marilyn doesn't think it's right for her.Bully is the only word for it.

When I was first introduced to Marylin, when she came back to Summer Bay, that's when I first started watching her. She was nice, bubbly, funny. But then she turned bad, she is annoying now, I can't stand to watch her. She's so obessed with having a baby and is demanding too much, and is being selfish. She is taking advantage of Nicole. She's kidding herself, she knows deep down that Nicole wants her baby back, Marylin should do the right thing and give the baby back. She's ignoring Nicole's feelings and is ignoring the fact that she isn't herself. The baby is putting a major strain on her relationship with Sid, Sid and Marylin now are a bad pairing, I don't like them together. I hope she moves out, or Sid moves out. They are a boring couple. Poor Dex, he's struggling. Clearly, the baby wants one thing NICOLE! Then he'll stop crying :D

I think Maz and Sid were fine when it was a fun relationship with no strings, like she wanted at first. Then after she didnt' die, it became all serious and like they've been married for years, getting bored with each other.

She managed Dex/ his crush/ Mitzi etc very well, but I don't think she's done anything for Indi. She seemed to take Romeo's side in it all. But I suppose she did live with Romeo for a while so maybe feels like he's her son more than Indi's her daughter. Complicated <_< I would have taken Indi's side personally. In fact, Indi doesn't have a mother figure really.

I think if Maz splits up with Sid, she should move in with Irene (if there's room). I was going to say she should move back in with Miles and co, but the Nicole situation wouldn't be good in that case.

I think Marilyn needs a harsh kick back to reality, she has been such a control freak especially with Nicole. She seems to think that the world revolves around her. She is not the pregnant ne but I can understand why she is freaking out but she is going too far. She needs to realise that Nicole is giving her something special.

I dont like Marilyn as much this time around and I think any new viewers might not like her at all. I really dont know how Sid puts up with her. Emily is a fantatstic actress though and can do anything. For viewers not familiar with her work on Emmerdale, put Emmerdale Louise kills Ray into YouTube to see how good she was on that too.

• 2 months later...

Marilyn's dialogue in the episodes shown on 7TWO is at times really comical;

'...My love for you was not fictitional'

'You're a gentleman and a schalap Lance Smart!'. (Lol my favorite)

... She would either use made up words or come out with really outlandish comparisons to events that were going on in the Bay which were often out of context.

This is the one major element missing from the character these days, I know she is older and wiser now but that unique dialogue really helped define the character throughout the 80's and 90's, it isn't like she did it all the time, it was just totally random which made it all the more quirky.

Edited by alexx