Marilyn Chambers - Emily Symons

Out of ALL faces from the past, she's probably IMO the most sought-after character to return, it's atrue blessing. And I think it's wonderful that Emily's such a fantastic lady to return to the soap. Kudos to her.

Isla Fisher, Melissa George, Ryan Kwanten...just a few names that would probably be more sought-after than Emily.

Are you sure you haven't just chosen those people because they're Hollywood stars now though? If they hadn't made it big, I doubt they'd be remembered any more fondly than Marilyn. And Ryan Kwanten, are you serious? Vinnie's in nowhere near the same league as Marilyn. He wasn't even there during the show's Golden Era.

Yeah I'm sure I haven't chosen them because of their success in America. In fact I recently argued that with the exception of Isla Fisher (and if you want to throw in Kwanten as well you can) very few H&A stars who have made the trip to America have ever been able to replicate the stardom they had in Australia in the US. It would have to do more with their popularity on H&A more than anything else. Melissa George would be a perfect example of someone who had reached almost "icon" status in Australia and is a "C-List" actress in the United States.

That being said Melissa's character (Angel Brooks/Parrish) is probably one of the if not the most popular character this show has ever created and quite frankly that has nothing to do with her success in America because again if you went up to a random person on the street in America and asked them who Melissa George is, I doubt a lot of people would know who she is. However, if Melissa ever decided to come back to H&A even for say a two-month stint it would easily be the biggest thing that ever happened to this show. As far as Isla Fisher and Ryan Kwanten go, I've always felt that "Shannon" and "Vinnie" are two of the most beloved characters in H&A history as well so I'd put them at least in the running with "Marilyn" but to me there is no contest between "Marilyn" and "Angel".

Edited by jldraw

But the actors who have a big fanfare: I'm off to Hollywood! OR I'm off to have a singing career! Bye bye soaps! Then they never get anywhere and turn up back where they started in the same soap as the same character. Can they only play one part then? :blink: It doesn't look good on the CV.

I may be missing something here but the only name that is coming to mind that was on H&A, left to attempt a career in America and later returned to the show after she failed to get substantial work in the United States is Christie Hayes. There have been a lot of Aussie soapie stars who have come over to the US and never gotten any substantial work and then of course actors who have used H&A as a springboard for "C-List" success in the US but Hayes is the only one I can think of who tried her hand in the States and then returned years later to H&A.

But the actors who have a big fanfare: I'm off to Hollywood! OR I'm off to have a singing career! Bye bye soaps! Then they never get anywhere and turn up back where they started in the same soap as the same character. Can they only play one part then? :blink: It doesn't look good on the CV.

I may be missing something here but the only name that is coming to mind that was on H&A, left to attempt a career in America and later returned to the show after she failed to get substantial work in the United States is Christie Hayes. There have been a lot of Aussie soapie stars who have come over to the US and never gotten any substantial work and then of course actors who have used H&A as a springboard for "C-List" success in the US but Hayes is the only one I can think of who tried her hand in the States and then returned years later to H&A.

I'm talking about all soaps where actors return after no luck elsewhere, not just HAA. There was so much of it happening at one time, perhaps its died down a bit lately. It is like they are admitting defeat. Its not good to return to places hoping to regain your past successes. Move on, look for other things, life is too short.

Do you remember on Emmerdale she used to be called "Skippy"? I can't remember who by now...probably Viv. I love how UK soaps can get away with being non-pc.

That would have been Chas, they weren't exactly the best of friends.

Thanks! I must admit, it's not a a show I like but did go through a phase of watching it about 5 years ago.

Yeah I'm sure I haven't chosen them because of their success in America. In fact I recently argued that with the exception of Isla Fisher (and if you want to throw in Kwanten as well you can) very few H&A stars who have made the trip to America have ever been able to replicate the stardom they had in Australia in the US. It would have to do more with their popularity on H&A more than anything else. Melissa George would be a perfect example of someone who had reached almost "icon" status in Australia and is a "C-List" actress in the United States.

That being said Melissa's character (Angel Brooks/Parrish) is probably one of the if not the most popular character this show has ever created and quite frankly that has nothing to do with her success in America because again if you went up to a random person on the street in America and asked them who Melissa George is, I doubt a lot of people would know who she is. However, if Melissa ever decided to come back to H&A even for say a two-month stint it would easily be the biggest thing that ever happened to this show. As far as Isla Fisher and Ryan Kwanten go, I've always felt that "Shannon" and "Vinnie" are two of the most beloved characters in H&A history as well so I'd put them at least in the running with "Marilyn" but to me there is no contest between "Marilyn" and "Angel".

I'm guessing you come from Australia then.

The UK is the largest audience share for H&A and so I think their views are more representative of the whole of Home and Away's fanbase. Although I admit some interest would be created if Angel returned, in the UK at east I'm fairly certain that Marilyn is considered more as one of the iconic characters in the show's history. I think her return is something that will create a lot of renewed interest in the show, plus Marilyn has had a long stint in the show and is synonymous with the show's history, wasn't Angel only in it for about 2 or 3 years?

I'd say Marylin definitely is more of a iconic H&A character and one of the most memorable to come from the show, more iconic than say Shannon..however Angel, Shannon etc were probably higher in the popularity stakes, particularly with the younger demographics (in Aus anyway) due to the whole golden era and they were only on the show for a short period of time, whereas Marylin has that sentimental aspect to the character, she has a stronger link to the show in all its eras, where we saw her grow up on screen and was a prominent aspect to the show in not only the early years but the 'golden era' and the later 90's when the show was at its peak in the UK too...so everyone could latch onto and love her for that because she was apart of the show for a good long period, you feel like you know her... Imo having Marylin back can do far more for the show than Angel and Shannon - simply due to the type of character she is. (not that I wouldn't be ecstatic to have Angel back!!)

Edited by alexx

I'd probably define it more tightly than that, probably from the "Bush Fire" episode to Angel leaving is what I'd call the Golden Era. Either side of that the cast was still strong, but it did quite have that high drama, but still extremely well written, that lasted for those 300 episodes or so.