Guest Traceve

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

More detailed article here, this site even gets a mention

Seven censors Home & Away same-sex kiss

* By David Knox on March 28, 2009

* Filed Under News, Top Stories

The Seven Network has censored a same sex kiss in its soapie Home and Away.

A scene involving a kiss between Joey (Kate Bell) and Charlie (Esther Anderson) has been censored following media stories with lobby groups criticising the storyline in a ‘family’ show.

The plotline involves the arrival of a young lesbian who has become attracted to one of the show’s regular characters. As the two grow more intimate they were set to share an on-screen kiss. In last night’s episode (pictured) the two girls finished a dance with an awkward and hesitant moment before Charlie made a quick exit.

After media stories and criticism by lobby groups, Seven diminished the intensity of the romance between the two.

Seven has itself contributed to the media storm, which even led to UK press stories, first by talking to media about the upcoming plot and including debate on the subject in Today Tonight -the show that precedes the soap.

There is even the suggestion that the show has lost 100,000 viewers since the lesbian story became news.

The show’s average audience this year has been:

Week 7: 1,123,000

Week 8: 1,094,000

Week 9: 1,192,000

Week 10: 1,136,000

Week 11: 1,092,000 / (”Lesbian Story” breaks in media)

Week 12: 1,090,000

Week 13: 1,080,000

PG television allows for adult themes with limitations. A soap can depict romance as either heterosexual or homosexual. Seven fell within the boundaries of the PG ruling to include a same-sex kiss, just as it has kisses by straight characters.

The media outcry has been self-serving, with network and lobby groups each pushing their own agendas.

Family groups who attacked the storyline also did so purely on the promise of upcoming plotlines. They had not viewed the footage. Generally speaking, Seven doesn’t send previews of Home and Away.

The irony is Australia was the first country in the world to have an ongoing, sympathetic, openly gay character in Number 96 in the ’70s. Since then gay and bisexual characters have appeared on numerous soaps including Prisoner, Sons and Daughters, Pacific Drive, Water Rats, GP, Sweat, Raw FM, Breakers, The Secret Life of Us, All Saints, Rush, Love My Way, Satisfaction, The Circuit.

While not all PG representations include scenes of romance, even Neighbours covered the same terrain as Home and Away in 2004 when Lana (Bridget Neval) was attracted to Sky (Stephanie McIntosh). That aired at 6:30pm. It had gay characters as far back as 1994 when Macca (John Morris) was a builder who worked with Doug Willis (Terence Donovan).

Out of the Blue is currently screening on TEN at 5:30pm with lesbians without any fuss. Poppy and Peta are wildly in love, however out of nowhere, Peta’s husband has turned up. Peta married him before she came out, and they’ve never been divorced.

All those ‘outraged’ by the present storyline have forgotten Home and Away itself has had gay characters. In 2003 Pippa and Christopher returned in 2003 for Sally’s wedding and revealed that Christopher was gay. A kiss was averted at the time during a non-mutual attraction. Back in 2006 Eve fell in love with Sarah Lewis which jealousy led to her becoming the notorious ‘Summer Bay Stalker’. Shannon (Isla Fisher) also left Summer Bay with her older lover Mandy.

In Reality Television diverse contestants are celebrated for their individuality: So You Think You Can Dance Australia, Big Brother, The Block, Australia’s Got Talent, Dancing with the Stars, Strictly Dancing, Australian Idol amongst others.

Two same sex parents appeared years ago on Play School.

There is also a question of the H&A storyline choosing to include an attraction with a character who had previously enjoyed heterosexual storylines. Seven did not respond to questions about whether Charlie was therefore a bisexual character from the start, let alone how she is perceived by writers now.

Former Home and Away script producer Coral Drouyn has previously told backtothebay.net: “Home & Away should have a gay character. I tried several times but it ended up a debacle. It won’t happen while the present hierarchy is in place. I have found on various shows but especially H&A, often the most vehemently opposed person to a gay character is a gay person. Not from homophobia…but simply from fear of ratings.”

Ironically there are gays and lesbians workingin the Free to Air and Pay TV industry as writers, actors, directors, producers, publicists, executives and even programmers.

This smells more and more of a TV ‘gay panic’, with everyone getting last-minute nerves: the network, advertisers, lobby groups.

The missing ingredient in the decision making process is the audience.

David Knox says:

March 28, 2009 at 12:31 pm

Re BTTB article:

My sources indicate the kiss is indeed censored. That is, it will not air as it was originally delivered.

Sources indicate it was toned down after the show got cold feet, and is not depicted with the same balance as it was shot or as depicted by straight couples.

If you click on the link the original article in The Australian indicates a kiss in some form is still due to air on Tuesday. But not in the way it was originally delivered.

TV Tonight stands by the claim it has been censored. We will have to wait and see exactly how much ends up on screen.

Right everyone, I have 100% confirmation, from an inside source, that these articles are complete and utter bulls**t.

Joey and Charlie DO kiss in Tuesday's episode. It has NOT been cut.

It can now be understood exactly why Seven do not attempt these type of stories that often, as the hysteria surrounding it just is not worth it. This article was just yet another beat up.

Thank you thank you thank you. It is the most read news story on news.com.au I hope the ratings rocket on Tuesday and it will show Angela Conway and all those other ignorant bas****s where to go.

What you want is ratings to rocket because of good storytelling, not the same phenomenom that makes it slow down and take a nosey when someone wraps their car around a tree.

as it was shot or as depicted by straight couples.

During my time watching the show we've had pecks on the cheeks and lips to some hot-steamy passionate embraces. What is depicted by straight couples meant to mean. Perhaps they had a "steamier" version and toned it down, perhaps they thougt it better to show a kiss that showed love rather than lust etc, for the story.

It's almost as if by not the showing the most exteme elements possible, they can be accused of toning it down for dubious reasons.

It can now be understood exactly why Seven do not attempt these type of stories that often, as the hysteria surrounding it just is not worth it.

It is worth it to gay and bisexual people who want the same rights as everyone else, and to straight people who believe in the importance of equal rights.

I'm glad that these articles are false, and I do hope that the Joey and Charlie relationship gets more people watching, because both Esther Anderson and Kate Bell are fine actresses, and they will do the storyline every possible justice. If nothing else, these actresses deserve to be seen because they are excellent at what they do. If that happens to include scenes where they're kissing each other, so much the better. I look forward to it.

I think, if the parents are so concerned, they should turn the TV off, sit down with their kids, and explain to them how mummy and daddy won't love them anymore if they love the "wrong" person.

I'm not too sure that was the issue Emmasi.

It had nothing to do with them "turning kids gay". I don't know where you got that from. I think Home and Away is showing people it is alright to be gay, if anything.

Archived