Home & Away kiss cut

Guest Traceve

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From what I have heard, the only people we will be angry with after the episode tomorrow night will be the press for beating up a non-existent controversy. This story has been so beautifully done until now. I for one feel sure it will be just as well done tomorrow night. From everything I have been told, the kiss is still there.

OH my god! Whats the point of doing this relationship if home and away isn't going to show the portrayal of lesbians truthfully! Seriously, people are acting like same sex relationship are taboo in soceity. And who cares if 11 year olds are exposed to this, its good because if they realise they are gay they won't feel so gulity about it.

What a watse of effort for home and away producers/ actors.

Ex actually. Eleven year olds are exposed to a lot more then just two girls kissing. Are these so called lobby groups going to sensor every time Adelle or Tachel hop into bed together?

Furor over 'censored' lesbian kiss

'Beautiful six week story reduced to a facile argument'

The Age

Channel Seven defied conservative outrage and screened a lesbian kiss on teen soapie Home and Away.

The kiss came as protesters - expecting the scene to be censored - turned out at Federation Square for a mass "kiss-off" on Tuesday evening.

Although hundreds were expected, about 20 people - gay and straight - gathered and locked lips as the soap went to air.

The screen kiss, between policewoman Charlie Buckton, played by actor Esther Anderson, and deckhand Joey Collins, played by Kate Bell, prompted tabloid fury, including the Herald-Sun headline "Gay TV for kids".

News Ltd newspapers last weekend reported Seven had buckled and opted to cut the kiss as viewers abandoned the show in their tens of thousands.

According to News Limited reports, some intimate close-up shots were cut following complaints from conservative groups and viewers.

Channel Seven, however, told gay and lesbian website samesame.com.au, the episode would air as planned.

Seven's head of creative drama and development, Bevan Lee, told Same Same two kisses were filmed - one gentle followed by one "more lusty'' - and, after discussion, it was decided to end the scene after the first kiss.

"The decision taken was artistic and had nothing to do with running from the conservative right,'' Mr Lee told Same Same.

He said the decision had been made before any controversy over the soapie stars' on-screen relationship.

He said he was saddened that "a beautiful six week story has been reduced to a facile argument about six missing seconds of screen time and that the bulk of commentators, both conservative and liberal, are making pronouncements on story material they know nothing of,'' he said.

Mr Lee said the continuing storyline "in no way shies away from a dignified and honest treatment of the lesbian relationship''.

St Kilda-based photographer Emma Phillips said it was a shame people still viewed homosexuality as "shocking".

"It's pretty outrageous in this day and age that we have programs still censoring any gay content and something like Home and Away which is on at prime-time, it's pretty mild content that they have generally anyway," she said.

"I'm surprised at their level of conservatism."

Ms Phillips said she was originally pleased that a show marketed towards teenagers had decided to include a lesbian relationship.

"It's a tough time being a teenager anyway, being a gay teenager is doubly difficult and it's something that's never spoken about at school and my experience has been that the majority of gay people were bullied at school so for something like Home and Away to actually have some positive content just would have contributed enormously to their well-being," she said.

A Melbourne lawyer, who because of discrimination fears did not want to be named, said word of tonight's gathering for straight and gay people spread through text messages and emails.

The woman said she did not usually "get involved with these sorts of things" but had been appalled that two women kissing on a television show was still an issue in 2009.

"I think it highlights that there is a large proportion of the community who feel they need to tolerate gay people as opposed to accept them and I think people lose sight of the difference between tolerance and acceptance," she said.

The lawyer said she believed a minority of conservative voices were being given an undue level of influence over what was being screened.

"In this case the conservative minority has been able to sway public opinion to the detriment of the majority," she said.

"And certainly when I forwarded this email this morning to 200 people on my email list, maybe less than a third or even a quarter of people on that list are gay.

"You'd struggle to find a straight person today who doesn't have a gay friend, or knows someone who is gay, so what's the big issues? Come on people, wake up."

She said she was worried what kind of message the decision to censor the kiss would send to Home and Away's young audience.

The lesbian relationship follows a kiss between two schoolgirls on the program last month that seemed to escape the controversy surrounding tonight's episode.

From Stuff.co.nz

I find it weird in the above article that Bevan Lee explains the real reason for trimming the kiss, which had nothing to do with censorship, yet the article goes on with people talking about it being wrong that Seven censored the kiss. They obviously did not. This is all a real media beat up. Having watched the episode last night, I agree with many others on the Today's Episode thread that the kiss as shown was just right for the dramatic moment.

I can't believe the press are getting so fired up about this, storylines are supposed to reflect what is going on in the real world. I have read about parents not wanting their kids exposed to such controversy, but thats just going to make them think that it is wrong and its not, attraction is attraction regardless of gender and i don't understand why they are making such a fuss :angry:

HOME and Away will feature a second lesbian kiss in defiance of outraged family groups.

The second kiss is part of the continuing romantic storyline between policewoman Charlie Buckton, played by Esther Anderson, and deckhand Joey Collins, played by Katie Bell.

Parents and conservative groups have criticised the plot, arguing it shouldn't be seen in a show popular with children.

Channel 7 responded to the complaints by editing out some of the more intimate moments between the characters.

But Bevan Lee, Channel 7's head of creative drama, told gay website Samesame.com.au, "Channel 7 is not backing away from these kinds of stories."

"The thing that saddens me, as a gay writer, is that a beautiful six-week story has been reduced to a facile argument about six missing seconds of screen time," Lee, the creative force behind hit show Packed to the Rafters, said.

"What is a beautiful lesbian storyline has now been hijacked by interest groups, and it will now make it harder for us to do this in the future."

Last Tuesday's kiss episode had 1.194 million viewers, up 58,000 viewers.

Lee denied the storyline was designed to boost ratings.

Media analyst Steve Allen, of Fusion Strategy, said there had not been a backlash from advertisers.

"I wouldn't think anyone (advertisers) would think Home and Away was so controversial it would be embarrassing (to advertise in)," Allen said.

http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/story...5-10229,00.html

7th April, The Herald Sun.

When are they going to get bored of this? :rolleyes:

I know we already know pretty much all of this but I thought people might be interested anyway.

Archived