Home & Away kiss cut

Guest Traceve

ADMIN EDIT: THIS ARTICLE HAS SINCE BEEN PROVED AS UNTRUE, PLEASE SEE THIS POST

****CONTAINS SPOILERS FOR NON-AUS VIEWERS****

Home & Away lesbian kiss between actresses Esther Anderson and Katie Bell cut by Seven

Channel 7 has censored a lesbian kissing scene in its popular family soapie Home and Away after a viewer backlash.

Since the lesbian story line began two weeks ago, 100,000 viewers have turned off and complaints have been flooding in. The now-muted kiss will air on Tuesday night.

The decision was taken to play down the scene after complaints from conservative lobby groups in media reports were followed by complaints from viewers, The Australian reports.

"They (Home and Away) continue to market to kids and they continue to develop quite sexualised plot lines," Pro-Family Perspectives director Angela Conway said earlier this month.

"The plot lines that young kids and teenagers should be presented with should be about really authentic relationships that are not just sexualised."

Producers were forced to cut some of the more intimate close-up images of policewoman Charlie Buckton and deckhand Joey Collins sharing a passionate kiss after dancing together on a boat.

Related Coverage

The original scene, played by actors Esther Anderson and Katie Bell, was no more intimate than any kiss shared by a heterosexual couple, sources said.

Some mothers contacted the network to say they didn't want their children exposed to same-sex relationships in a family show. Home and Away is screened at 7pm and is rated PG.

The show is popular internationally, especially with younger viewers, and attracts an Australian audience of more than one million every week night.

Anderson had said she had no problem with the scene.

"You learn pretty much everything at school," she said. "I don't think it's like I'm lifting the lid on something they don't already know about.

"To me there's no difference - love's love. The fact that your partner's the same sex is no different. You just want to be loved."

----------------

Figures.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So are they going to cut scenes out of other 'quite sexualised plot lines' too??! :rolleyes: In one word NO! <_<

Angelo/Charlie extremely hot bedroom scenes can air but a small kiss between two girls can't. Raunchy scenes of Martha pole dancing aren't cut but a tame kiss involving 2 girls is. Numerous Adelle kissing scenes in the bedroom feature almost weekly but a girl/girl kiss is too much to show. I could go on but you get what i'm saying. :rolleyes:

So not fair. I don't blame Channel 7, infact now I totally understand why they shied away from showing a gay relationship for so long. It's those damn 'mother's' that apperently live in a completely different century from the rest of us, the rest of the world and their apparently innocent children, that i'm angry at. <_<

Eta: Forgot to say thanks for posting Shan. :)

So are they going to cut scenes out of other 'quite sexualised plot lines'??! :rolleyes: In one word NO! <_<

Angelo/Charlie extremely hot bedroom scenes can air but a small kiss between two girls can't. Raunchy scenes of Martha pole dancing aren't cut but a tame kiss involving 2 girls is. Numerous Adelle kissing scenes in the bedroom feature almost weekly but a girl/girl kiss is too much to show. I could go on but you get what i'm saying. :rolleyes:

So not fair. I don't balme Channel 7, infact now I totally understand why they shied away from showing a gay relationship for so long. It's those damn 'mother's' that apperently live in a completely different century from the rest of us (incuding their apparently innocent children) that i'm angry at. <_<

I've got to agree, this is a total misinterpretation of reality. I think it's sad that so many people can't accept the fact that what makes people happy is important and not what is viewed to be right by others. I understand that everyone has their right to an opinion but the fact is, we live in a world where same sex relationships are considered as normal as heterosexual relationships. Same sex relationships can even start in school now, so I don't think children/young adults being exposed to same sex relationships on TV is any different to what they're exposed to in real life, and in fact, could help them to handle/accept (unless their mothers don't want them to of course) these kind of situations. This could be something they could actually write into the show, to show the two sided story. The people that don't like it, seem to think haa is promoting same sex relationships when to me a girl/girl or guy/guy kiss is EXACTLY the same as a guy/girl kiss and just as PG. And haa is just promoting love as simply what it is... love.

ETA: I do understand why channel seven have had to do this though, i just think it's sad.

Thanks for posting!

Bit more info, absolutely pathetic and I can't believe Seven have given in to the bigots:

THE Seven Network has censored a lesbian kissing scene in its family soapie Home and Away after a viewer backlash.

Since the lesbian story-line began two weeks ago, 100,000 viewers have turned off and complaints have been flooding in. The now-muted kiss will air on Tuesday night.

The decision was taken to play down the scene after complaints from conservative lobby groups in media reports were followed by complaints from viewers. Producers were forced to cut some of the more intimate close-up images of policewoman Charlie Buckton and deckhand Joey Collins sharing a passionate kiss after dancing together on a boat. The original scene, played by actors Esther Anderson and Katie Bell, was no more intimate than any kiss shared by a heterosexual couple, sources said.

Some mothers contacted the network to say they did not want their children exposed to same-sex relationships in a family show. Home and Away is screened at 7pm and is rated PG.

The show is popular internationally, especially with younger viewers, and attracts an Australian audience of more than one million every weeknight.

The story-line might have slipped under the radar had Melbourne's Herald Sun not written a report this month headlined "Gay TV for kids".

It made international news, including one story in Britain's The Sun headlined "Home and Away lesbian fury".

Seven's current affairs show Today Tonight did a story that featured a conservative lobby group called Pro-Family Perspectives complaining about a so-called gay agenda.

Media commentator David Knox from the TV Tonight website said yesterday the PG classification allowed for adult themes with limitations and did not discriminate between gay and straight content.

"It's sad that in 2009 a kiss is considered more threatening to advertisers and family values than stalkers, serial killers and kidnappers, all of which sustain Summer Bay story-lines on a regular basis," Knox said.

Angela Conway of Pro Family Perspectives accused the show of developing "quite sexualised plot lines". Seven drama chief John Holmes declined to comment.

I still unsure about the direct link to the drop in rating and the lesbian kiss. Yes, some parents won't want their children exposed to that kind of stuff, but I think it also might hide larger problems with the show at the moment, at least in my eyes, which I found really weak until the point that I've now kinda tuned out and that's not entirely got to do with the lesbian storyline, which I have found rather contrived, but perhaps that's another discussion.

Archived