The Missing Pieces

Guest wrongturntaken

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've started writing the next chapter but i'm in a muiscal thing this week so i've got uni work during the days and i'm out every night til saturday! Hopefully next week though unless i miraculously find some more time! :lol:

I'm glad you like it though! Thanks for asking, it does actually really make me WANT to update, it's just finding the time! :rolleyes:

So found a bit of time! Thanks so much for the comments! I think this chapter drags on a bit even though it's short, but I hope you like it anyway...

Chapter 3. Reactions to Aden's job...

"Irene… can you do me a favour?" Roman asked as he watched Irene work in the new diner's kitchen; her back facing him.

"Depends what it is, darl," she answered without turning her head as she continued to peel the carrots.

"Can you cover me for a bit whilst I go to the hospital?" he asked; slightly hesitantly.

"Hospital…? Is everything alright?" she replied hurriedly as she turned to face him.

"Oh, yeah, everything's fine… I'm just going to see Aden."

Irene scoffed, "Aden Jefferies? And why would you want to see him?"

"Look, Irene, I know you don't like him but…"

"No 'buts' Roman… after everything he's done in the past, I'm not going to change my opinion of him…"

"Don't you think there's a reason for his behaviour?" he pushed. "No one acts like that for no reason…"

Irene sighed heavily as she eyed him with evils. As much as she hated to admit it; he did have a point. "I suppose I should ask how he is…" she answered reluctantly when the pause of Roman waiting for her to give in became too much.

"Getting out tomorrow actually, I'll tell him you asked," Roman smirked.

Irene's eyes widened suddenly, "Don't you dare!"

He laughed and shook his head lightly but still didn't move from his spot by the doorway. Irene narrowed her eyes in suspicion at the apprehensive look now plastered on his face.

"What?" she asked him plainly; placing both her hands on her hips.

"I kind of wanted to run something by you…" he started nervously.

"Why do I get the feeling the next thing out of your mouth is going to be Aden Jefferies followed by something I won't like…?" she said as she folded her arms.

Roman shrugged, "I can do it the other way round if you'd like?"

"Go on, hit me with it," she sighed.

Roman paused, "I want to offer Aden a job…"

"No!" Irene exclaimed immediately, "No way is that boy working here! …and that is final!" she turned around to resume chopping the carrots.

"Uh, Irene, I own half this business so I think you'll find if I want to hire someone then I'm perfectly in my rights to do that. I just wanted to run it by you as a courtesy," he told her smugly.

Irene threw her hands up in the air as she once more turned around, "…and they call this a partnership!" she exclaimed sarcastically. "…what makes you think he'll even accept the job? He's always been a lazy…"

"He'll accept," Roman interrupted her before she could finish what was bound to be a rude ending to that sentence. He continued on hesitantly. "It's the condition of him living with me…"

"What?" Irene actually shouted this time. "What in the blue blazes are you doing; letting him live with you?"

Roman sighed in exasperation, "I can't go in to details, but he can't go home and he needs somewhere to stay for a while. At least short term anyway."

Irene relaxed her posture slightly as a silence hung in the air, "Look love, I know you think you know what you're doing… but taking in a teenager… especially one like Aden… are you sure you can do that?"

"Gee, thanks for the vote of confidence, Irene!" Roman answered her sarcastically.

"I'm just saying that teenagers can be a handful and if you're not used to them…"

"I get it… thank you, I appreciate the concern but I'll be fine."

"On your own head be it…" she sighed, "Why are you taking him in anyway?" she asked with a concerned curiosity.

"I don't know," he shrugged, "I guess he reminds me a lot of me when I was his age."

Irene shook her head, "I still dunno, darl, are you sure you know what you're getting yourself into?"

"No," Roman laughed. "But I think it's worth trying to help."

"You're a better man than me," she sighed. "…that doesn't really explain why you're offering him a job?"

"I think he needs to learn a bit of responsibility. A job will do that, and will teach him to show a bit of respect," Roman explained.

"I'm still not sure…"

"Just think Irene… you'll be his boss, you'll get to tell him what to do, boss him around, make him do the horrible jobs…" he trailed off at the amused look that had slowly appeared on Irene's face as she looked at him with hint of compassion.

"You've got a point there," she smiled. "There are a few people who won't like it though. It's gonna take a while to win Belle over... and me for that matter," she looked at him sternly.

"You'll all get used to it," Roman told her confidently. "It'll just take time."

"Are you joking?" Belle practically screamed in shock when Irene told her that she would be working with Aden in the future. They were both in the diner and den's kitchen; Irene was going between chopping vegetables and talking to Belle who was leaning against the side of the surface next to her.

"No," Irene answered her pensively. "For some reason, Roman thinks it's a good idea for him to have a job… to learn something about responsibility…" Belle raised her eyebrows. "…he does have a point…"

"You're actually going along with this?" Belle asked as she looked at her foster mother in awed shock.

"Don't really have much of a choice, love," Irene laughed. "It's Roman's business too."

"Oh my God," Belle groaned. "I'm actually going to have to work… …spend time with him."

"Don't moan, Belle," Irene reprimanded lightly. "You know the ropes better than he does, so just think of this as a chance to boss him around," she repeated what Roman had said to her earlier.

"Thanks," Belle answered with a hint of sarcasm. "Why's he living with Roman anyway?" she asked as she quickly nicked a piece of carrot from Irene's chopping board.

Irene shrugged, "Roman said he couldn't go into it… which is fair enough I suppose… does make you wonder though…"

"Yeah, I guess."

"So you're okay with it then?" Irene asked her lightly.

"Don't have much of a choice, do I?" she laughed as she reached across Irene's arm to pick up a mushroom this time, only to have her hand hit by Irene. "Ow!" she exclaimed.

"How many times Belle?" Irene asked with raised eyebrows even though her expression was an amused one.

"Sorry," Belle apologised half-heartedly. "...anyway, back on subject... ...just imagine Irene; You and Aden Jefferies working together… the boy who locked Geoff in the boot of car, the boy who tried to sue you, the boy who…"

"Alright, alright, I get the picture love," Irene interrupted in mock annoyance. "But Roman's right… …let's just try and put the past in the past and keep it there…"

"Fine… but let's face it, he's bound to screw it up someway or another, could you imagine him talking to your customers the way he usually talks to people? Talk about rude…"

Irene laughed.

"What?"

"He won't be talking to the customers… Roman's given him kitchen hand."

"…on purpose?" Belle laughed.

"Now you mention it… probably did," Irene laughed with her. "…we really shouldn't be this mean, you know," she added; sounding a bit guilty.

"…maybe," Belle replied but she didn't sound convinced. "Guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens."

"Hmm… now love, I think Leah probably wants you back in the den…" Irene looked at her in a boss like way to show she was actually being serious.

"Okay, I'm going… oh, when's Aden's first shift?"

"Not for another week or so I think… he's still recovering," Irene answered.

"Oh right… how is he anyway?" Belle asked; showing that she wasn't completely heartless and her joking around hadn't been all that serious.

"Fine I think…"

"Okay, well at least I have something to look forward to now," Belle drawled sarcastically.

Irene laughed, "Get to work."

Please comment! x

Loved Irene's reaction! and Belle's still in denial :lol:

I always thought there should have been more of a reaction to Aden working at the diner

You wrote it so well :D

Brilliant, it did not drag at all! cannot wait to read more!!!

Haha! LOVED Irene and Belle's reactions! They were just spot on; I wish they had played it out like this in the show! It would have been both interesting and entertaining! Esp considering the way that they feel abuot him now... But that's not the point :lol:

Loved Roman in this too. He's just too sweet and kind...

Cannot wait for more!

xoxo

Archived