The Missing Pieces

Guest wrongturntaken

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you for all the comments! I'm really glad you're all enjoying the concept of this story! I think i combined two of the scenes that were on the list but i felt it worked better this way. I've also written a couple of the scenes that actually happened, but they are quite short, i felt i had to to give the original scene some context, i hope no one minds...

Chapter 2, Belle is confused…

"Who gave you the right to do that, huh?" Aden yelled loudly, hitting the little blue car whilst trying, as best he could with his hurt leg, to keep his balance. "Who?"

"What's wrong? What happened?" Belle cried; flustered at the sudden appearance of him.

"It's none of your damn business. Who gave you the right to bring my grandfather into it?" Aden continued harshly.

"It wasn't my idea, it was my editors, but he thought you'd like it…"

"Well who gave him the right to then?"

"What is your problem? You got what you wanted; you came out of the article looking great…"

"If you ever print anything on me again… never include my grandfather… you got that?" he shouted before hitting the car roof one final time and storming off, his exit made less overwhelming by his limp as Belle watched him disappear in her rear view mirror feeling thoroughly confused.

Aden knew he had to cool down, he hadn't felt that angry in a long time. He knew he had to find somewhere where he could gather his thoughts and be alone. The side of the surf club was pretty much deserted as he made his way in that direction, feeling dizzy and slightly sick. He had the newspaper in his forefinger and thumb so loosely it could have very easily fallen without him noticing. He leant his back against the hard, cold stone of the wall and tilted his head back in angst before coming to slide down to a crouch.

He rubbed his eyes with his left forefinger and thumb, struggling to hold back the tears that this time he knew he couldn't stop from eventually falling. He clutched the newspaper, this time tightly, with his right hand so the creases straightened out slightly and he could hold it there as he looked once more at the pictures occupying the front page. There he stood next to his 'heroic' grandfather; the man who had committed such evil that it was too unbearable to not lock the memories away at the very back of his mind. It was very occasionally unlocked but never ever opened fully. Well… not until now.

He tore the page in half, separating his picture from that of his grandfather, feeling no power in the act as he'd hoped he would. Even as he got the lighter out of his pocket and brought it to the paper, he knew it would do nothing to change how he now felt. Watching it burn with no satisfaction other than that it wasn't staring him straight in the face anymore. He knew even that would be short lived with the article all over town and everyone finding out the more 'acceptable' part of his family's history.

He watched the paper burn on the concrete and raised a hand to his forehead, unable to hold the tears back any longer as he felt the water fall from his eyes, down his cheek and land with a drip on the concrete. Causing a small dark spot where the tear had hit the dry surface. He stayed like that for a minute, trying to forget the memories as he eventually wiped away the tears with his sleeve and realised he had to get cleaned up before heading back to school. He could have just gone in the surf club but couldn't face dealing with seeing people quite yet and thought the walk to the diner would give him time to clear his head slightly in the fresh air.

"Are you alright, love? You look like you've just seen a ghost!" Irene exclaimed as Belle walked into the diner.

"Yeah, I'm fine," Belle told the older woman with a slight shake of her head; bringing herself out of the daze that meant her feet had had to find their own way there.

"If you say so," Irene said as she eyed her foster daughter suspiciously. "Did something happen?" she pushed curiously as she took the plates from Alf and Morag's table, where Colleen was sat; having her break.

Belle frowned, "Aden just had a massive go at me," she explained, not looking at anyone in particular but appearing to be more lost in thought.

"Argh," Irene groaned in annoyance, "As if he hasn't caused enough trouble!"

"Why?" Morag interrupted; ignoring Irene's comment as she looked to Belle for an answer.

"… it was about the article…"

"Figures," Irene shrugged. "He gets what he wants and he still has something to complain about…"

"Irene!" Morag hissed, "Would you just let Belle explain…"

Irene rolled her eyes before taking the dishes into the kitchen as Morag turned her attention back to Belle.

"He just kept yelling about how I had no right to write anything about his grandfather…" Belle explained.

"Probably cos he thinks now most of us know what good blood he comes from, there's no excuse for his behaviour…"

"Alfred!" Morag exclaimed in a similar tone to the one she'd used with Irene. "I would have thought you would have been more free minded than to think blood's got anything to do with that boys' behaviour..." she told him angrily before looking to Belle yet again. "Was there something else?"

"It's just that… well, he was so angry, I've never seen him like that," Belle told them, shaking her head slightly at the memory. She couldn't get his expression out of her head, he looked genuinely hurt.

"You must be the only one round here then, love…"

"Alfred!"

"No, this was different… he seemed… disturbed…"

"Disturbed?" Morag exclaimed.

She nodded as Roman approached their table; a smile on his face that made Colleen almost melt in her seat. "I'm going on my break now, Colleen, so do you think you could get back to it…"

Colleen smiled back at him, "Oh, yeah, righto…" she said as she stood up and made her way back to the kitchen to help Irene.

"What's going on here then?" Roman asked the small group as he took Colleen's place in the chair.

"Aden Jefferies' antics as usual," Alf huffed.

"What's he done now?" Roman asked with an edge of an annoyance in his voice; actually directed at Alf, not that he'd have noticed.

"Had a go at young Belle here," Alf explained, throwing his arm up in the air as he gestured to the young photographer. "…and even after she helps him…"

"What did he say?" Roman asked Belle this time; sounding concerned.

"Nothing much, he was just angry about us using his grandfather…"

"Are you talking about me?" Aden interrupted them angrily; having overheard the last snippet of their conversation when he'd walked in to the diner.

Irene had come out of the kitchen a second before, "Well, it's what you've got to expect when you're in the newspaper so I wouldn't start yelling now!" she told him heatedly.

Aden looked around the group, but only Belle and Roman noticed his slightly bloodshot eyes and drained demeanour.

"It's not true," Aden told them firmly.

"What?" Irene exclaimed as she scoffed. "So you're not the hero everyone else seems to think you are."

Aden ignored her as he grabbed the newspaper from Alf, ripping quickly and with force, "I'm nothing like him," he hissed, "Nothing." he added for extra definition before throwing the newspaper back onto the table so that it knocked Alf's cup of tea over.

"Steady on!" he exclaimed in annoyance even as Aden ignored him and continued walking away to the toilets.

"What was that about?" Morag said in an awed voice as she watched Aden disappear.

"See what I mean," Belle said simply, with a shrug of her shoulders, as Alf continued to look at the remnants of his newspaper left on the table now covered in tea.

"I'll never understand that boy," Irene said angrily; shaking her head. "I'll go and get a cloth love," she told Alf before leaving the table once more.

Aden breathed heavily as he rested his hands on the sink, looking down into the basin and trying to regain some semblance of control over himself. He splashed his face with water yet again, masking the tears that had been covered enough the last several times he had carried out the same action. He looked at himself in the mirror once more, not knowing what he was meant to do now. He's just blown up about something he swore he'd keep to himself forever. Not that they'd realise the truth from what had just happened, but it was in his mind like that. The mere association was enough to make his stomach turn.

He glanced at his watch and realised he was now running late as he hoisted his bag more firmly onto his shoulder and left the toilets.

"Are you gonna buy something?" Irene asked him angrily as he emerged and began to make his way to the exit, determinedly ignoring everyone's stares until she spoke.

He looked at her suddenly, "How about 'no'?"

"Toilets are for customer use only," she said, narrowing her eyes evilly at him.

"Well, how about you consider it compensation for shoving me then, huh?" he snapped back before leaving the diner without waiting for a response; just wanting to get out of there as quickly as possible.

Please comment! x

I loved this scene! Esp the way you intergrated the scenes in with your own scenes. They flowed so well, that it's hard to differentiate which ones were on the show and which ones were not. That's how great ou write it!

Cannot wait for more! Defo do not mind that you kept the original scenes. If this is how it turns out, then I say keep them for all! :lol:

xoxo

At first I was kinda hoping that Belle was going to confront Aden about his reaction. The girl always did have a short fuse and never took lightly to being screamed at. So I was dissappointed that it didn't look like it was going in that direction. But by the end I was so happy that it played out this way instead. I absolutely loved it. You managed to keep all the characters perfectly in character throughout all the scenes. For me thats the most important thing for a writer to be able to do when it comes to fic. And you always do it brilliantly. This could have easily been a scene on the show.

I can't wait for the next chapter. Please update soon.

Archived