Jade Goody - Diagnosed With Cancer

Guest Cal

Perhaps in a way it's good they're so young as they won't really understand what is going on. Maybe it's better that way. It's just a very tragic situation and althugh i don't agree with the insane press coverage i do feel desperately sorry for her.

I am shocked she is going to have her funeral broadcast and feel that is one step too far. I guess i can understand her having it 'open' for her fans but to actually broadcast it is crazy and i feel her family should be allowed to celebrate her life without the paps being there.

And as for someone calling her 'The New People's Princess' that's an insult to Princess Diana and i find it quite disgusting. I find it quite sad and quite disturbing that British society chose to worship someone who is famous for getting naked on a tv show and her sheer ignorance. She hasn't done anything worthwhile with her fame rather than being on reality tv. It just bugs me she gets so much attention when she's one of millions dying every day.

I'm sorry that sounds harsh. As i said i do feel terribly for her and it's an awful situation you wouldn't wish on anyone, but i do feel she's 'selling' her death and i don't find it necessary.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jade Goody, a one-time dental assistant whose final days were as closely chronicled in the media as her appearances on reality television, died of cervical cancer early on Sunday, British media reported.

The 27-year-old mother of two, who married her boyfriend in a televised ceremony only last month, died in her sleep at her home in Essex, southeast England, her publicist Max Clifford said.

By endlessly poring over every detail of Goody's losing battle with the disease, newspapers, gossip magazines and broadcasters have been accused of being obsessed with someone who is famous for little more than being famous.

Even Prime Minister Gordon Brown has been asked to comment on her condition in recent weeks.

Goody shot to fame in 2002 after appearing in Big Brother, a reality show in which people are locked in a house and their every move televised. Initially ridiculed for her apparent lack of education, she gradually won over the public with her straight-talking style.

She went on to become a regular in gossip magazines, wrote an autobiography and launched her own perfume, but her popularity sank in 2007 because of her racially charged tirades against an Indian housemate in Celebrity Big Brother.

Goody's decision to die in the public gaze, in order to earn as much money as possible for her two young sons and publicise awareness of cervical cancer, largely restored her popularity.

- Reuters

I saw this thread was the last one to have been posted in and instantly knew she'd gone so I went straight to BBC News before even clicking on this thread and my assumption was confirmed. I actually have tears in my eyes right now, I liked Jade right from her BB days. She never pretended to be anything she wasn't and she's handled her illness with such amazing dignity. Some people may not agree with how publicly she fought her battle but in doing so she has raised awareness of cervical cancer so much and if even one person is saved because of her doing so then that would be amazing.

My thoughts and prayers are with her friends and family but especially her two sons Freddie and Bobbie who will feel her loss every day for the rest of their lives. For her to go on Mother's Day is the most poignant thing of all because everything she did in the end was for them.

RIP Jade x

I can't believe she's gone :( its so sad that she died on Mother's Day as well, i know she desperately wanted to see her boys today. I can't imagine what her family must be going through today, its just incredibly sad :(

RIP Jade, hope you are at peace now xxx

It's so devastating that she has now lost her battle with cancer, she was a great woman who when publicising her condition only had good intentions at heart. I know a lot of people don't agree with it, but by no means do i see it as selling her disease, she was raising awareness for cervical cancer, and it is fact that since she's been diagnosed and the media has been priniting stories about what she's going through, the numbers of cancer checks in woman have rised considerably. It's marvellous what she's done, it must not have been easy for her to see her face all over the media, and have seen what people had been saying about her, from attention seeking to derogatory terms that i won't mention, but one particular magazine had very rude comments from readers published in a feaure on jade, which I found shocking. She was a good person, and I hope she didn't feel it when she did pass, and I hope she's in peace now.

RIP jade x

I must admit, when I heard the news this morning, I did get a little emotional. I think it was the fact that I was sat with my own Mum at the time and I thought about Jade's children. Then I saw Jade's Mum on TV making her statement and I felt awful for her.

I'm not going to backtrack on what I've said all along: That I was fed up at the hype. However, even I know this isn't the right time to be so heartless. I'm devestated for her children and her loved ones. What got me was when they showed the footage on sky news od Jackie making the announcement, all you could hear were cameras flashing and I couldn't help but feel quite sick at how the media circus are all desperate for a snap of a grieving mother. Their nothing but greedy animals who have claimed to saddened and grieving for Jade, yet don't have the decency to allow them privacy. You'd have thought seeing a broken mother making that announcement would've been enough, but no... they have to get that first snap. That first story. It's appauling. All I hope now is that they have an ounce of respect for the family and back off.

I cant say any thing that hasnt already been said its sad she has gne one a very important day in the live of her two boys, they are the one now who should be protected from the media that has surrounded Jade in her last few weeks, God reast Jade sleep well free from pain.

R.I.P. Jade.

Archived