Jade Goody - Diagnosed With Cancer

Guest Cal

But at the end of the day, though, it IS getting all this media attention. That's just the world we live in today. No, of course Jade's no different from anyone else, but she's not the first celebrity to receive 'special' treatment. Fair enough if you don't think that any celebrity should get preferential treatment (in which case the very notion of celebrity is being challenged), but it seems like you're homing in on Jade merely becsuse she doesn't seem to have done anything to 'credit' her fame. I don't really know how you could be okay with someone being paid obscene amounts of money for kicking a ball around a grassy field, for example, (I don't know what you think of footballers, 'tis just an example) yet take objection to a woman who - okay, wasn't the classiest start, I'll give you that - has worked her way up from a reality television show and been a very astute business woman (or even had other people do it for her - whatever, it's happened for her) and made a lot of money.

Tbh, questioning Jack's motives should make us feel more sympathy for Jade if, indeed, he is messing her around in her final days. But, y'know, right now it's making her happy. It's not hurting anyone else. In a situation like this, surely that's the main thing?

Yes, she has "enough" money to live on, but so do the vast majority of the rest of the country; does this mean we should donate all of our "excess" salaries to world crises. Whatever, she's still getting the money, and I personally think that it's brilliant that she's doing this for her children. Celebrities put up with a lot of crap that the public don't necessarily see, so if this helps her children in any way then I see that only as a positive thing.

I don't know if it was your intention, but you seem to have taken your issues with the coverage the British media are giving the situation and translated it into something that reflects badly on Jade. I doubt she even cares how much publicity she's getting. She's dying, for goodness sake. It's not her fault that the media are so information-hungry that there seem to be no boundaries, even when someone is in the final stages of their life.

Sorry, I'm aware that this was a very long rant. I'm not attacking you personally, or anything, I just felt I should qualify my opinion, instead of just saying 'I disagree'

I guess what i'm trying to say is that i disagree with all the meida attention it's getting. Jade is the one who is doing all the interviews, selling her wedding, making reality television shows. She's making herself available, hence why she's splashed across every newspaper and magazine. And it bugs me that we, as a society seem to find her new newsworthy than other issues going on in the world right now. I hate the whole 'dumbing down' concept that's now involved in journalism.

I never said i don't feel sorry for her, i do. It's tragic and i can't imagine what she must be going through right now, but i have to wonder what her children will think when they're older and see what their mother did in her final months. I just find it rather un-dignified.

Yes, she has "enough" money to live on, but so do the vast majority of the rest of the country; does this mean we should donate all of our "excess" salaries to world crises.

I never said that, maybe you read my post wrong. She already has millions is what i meant, and i don't buy her excuse that she's doing all this becasue her children need money.

Max Clifford has a lot to answer for. :rolleyes:

No, you said that she already has millions, so you don't get why she still wants media attention and money. So you're saying she already has enough, and doesn't need anymore, right? What I was saying was that a lot of people have "enough" money to live on happily, but it doesn't stop them from wanting, and being entitled to, more. People exploit far "worse" (not worse in the sense of situation, but a worse situation to obtain money from, if you get what I mean) situations - like kiss 'n' tells - for cash. At the end of the day, Jade can't take her money with her, so I'm pretty sure she's doing it for her kids. I know she's been fame-hungry in the past, but she knows she's gonna die pretty soon - I doubt even Max Clifford could persuade her to waste time doing something she didn't want to be doing right now.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No matter what I think about what Jade has done throughout her life what she's going through at the moment must be unimaginably scary. Leaving her little boys behind must scare her, no end. At least by doing the tv show they will always be able to watch her and have a little bit of her life to look back on.

I feel tremendously sad for Jade Goody !!

At the start of her illness I really hated her and felt annoyed that she was selling everything but now I feel that she has the right to do whatever the hell she wants to do.I do think she wants to get all the money she needs for Bobby and Freddie to get them through because shes a mother and wants her children to have the best.

I know how women die everyday from cancer but I think its different that Jade's dying because shes been in the public eye for so long .Its almost 7 years since she first appeared on BB3 and since then shes had 2 beautiful boys and we feel like we know her which is why its making headlines.So what if shes splashed across the papers, she was always in the papers and the press are interested in her theres nothing she can do.

I think her show "Jade" will be a great thing for her boys to watch in years to come, when shes long gone because its all about her story.

In my family cancer is always a big thing because its cropped up countless times in my family in the last 15 years.

My auntie died from throat cancer when she was just 37 .She was diagnosed and dead all in the space of 2 months.Then 9 weeks later my nan was diagnosed with breast cancer and died a couple of months later,followed by her husband 2 weeks later(non cancer related).

Then about 10 years ago my sister had cancer in her leg and the fight wasnt going her way but she beat it in the end.She is now happily married with 3 kids and a fourth on the way. :) but she realises how incredibly lucky she was to come through the other side alive and kicking.

My mother was then diagnosed in september '04 with stomach cancer which later developed into AML (Acute Myeloid Leukaemia) which she was told was not treatable and in april '05 was told she had about 3 weeks but my mother being my mother didnt let it get her and fought on and lasted a whole year , but she passed away on the 11th of april 2006.

I have met some incredible women who have fought cancer and sadly the vast vast vast majority of them died.It is very sad being in a cancer ward and being friends with a lot of the women and to come in one day to find that the woman you were having a laugh with a couple of days earlier is dead. These women have been an inspiration to me and a lot of others. Dont be fooled though that cancer wards are all doom and gloom because there not most of the time. I swear I actually had the time of my life getting to know all sorts of amazing women during my mothers illness and we used to have the most incredible banter ever be it between the patients , the staff or the visitors. On a friday night I would stay there in a pull out bed and everybody would ship in for a pizza and we would get a dominoes pizza and chippers.It was great, I was almost like part of the furniture and a lot of them told me that I brought a lot of light into there lives which meant more than I can tell you.

I do think that people who have been affected by cancer can understand and relate to Jade Goody's story like my mother left 6 year old twins behind just like Jade is leaving her 2 boys behind.It is incredibly sad to see children without their mother because at the end of the day every child needs their mother.Nobody else could ever match up to a childs mother.

Jade has intentionally wanted to have her situation publicised because as she said "she wanted people to become more aware" and she has achieved that because they are now trying to get the age lowered for smear tests and it was reported that smear tests have risen by a huge amount ever since her illness was diagnosed.

It sickens me when I hear people saying bad things like Jade . Like people who still hold the race row from CBB5 over her.Shilpa and Jade have made friends and to be honest its their business nobody elses.Jade has made mistakes but after all shes only human and we all make mistakes time and time again.

I think Jade is an incredibly brave and strong person and I dont think that people really understand her situation until they've been there themselves.

( Sorry for the huggeeee rant!! I just wanted to try get my opinion across even if I drifted wayyy off topic) :lol:

Jade Goody has said that she may die in hospital after her condition deteriorated on Sunday, it has emerged.

The reality TV star was transferred to the Royal Marsden in London from the hospice where she had spent much of the weekend, The Sun reports.

Goody was said to be in "screaming agony", with doctors unable to control the pain resulting from her terminal cancer.

A hospital source said: "She was in a lot of pain and very distressed and emotional. At the hospital she said, 'This is where I'm going to die'.

"Her prognosis is two to four weeks - but there are worries that she won't make it to the weekend. She is extremely weak now, she can't walk. All they can do is manage her pain.

"It is possible that she won't get to die at home because of the acuteness of her pain.

"Her condition can't be treated at home because of the drugs she needs - so it is likely that there will be a mercy run. It means when she has literally hours left she will be driven home to die."

At the weekend, the former Big Brother contestant reportedly let slip her prognosis of one month to a neighbour during a row.

:(:(

Jade Goody's cancer has spread throughout her body to her brain, it has emerged.

The reality TV star was originally diagnosed with cervical cancer, which then spread to her liver, groin and bowel before being diagnosed as terminal.

Goody underwent surgery last night to fix a blockage following hours of tests at the hospital's oncology unit.

Her publicist Max Clifford told The Sun that if the procedure was successful that it would dramatically improve her quality of life, increase her mobility and allow her to spend time with her children.

A family friend said: "Jade was told while in a hospice at the weekend that the cancer was travelling freely in her blood and had spread to her brain.

"This is, of course, awful but not unexpected. She has already been told the disease is terminal.

"But by understanding how it is travelling in her body, the doctors have a chance of giving her the right medication to control the pain.

"This hasn't shortened her life expectancy, which remains at weeks. But of course it is another extremely painful reminder of what lies ahead."

The friend added that Goody wants to go home but will wait until she has the correct medication to make her condition bearable, because she does not want to upset her children.

It's a horrible situation. I know a girl who's 19 who's in the same situation. I don't know her personally, but I know her best friend, and many of her other friends. She battled leukemia for almost a year, and they thought they'd beaten it until a few weeks ago when the doctors told her there was nothing more that could be done. She was also given 2-4 weeks, but it's now been 6 weeks, and she's still in a relatively good shape, although obviously getting worse every day. The "good" thing about her situation though, is that the pain's not too bad to control with drugs, so she has spent her last weeks at home, where they've also given her blood transfusions and pain medication, and unless something very dramatic happens (which is unlikely at this point) she won't have to go back to a hospital. It must be horrible for Jade though, the worst part is probably not knowing you'll die at the end of this, but in addition to that her last weeks have been filled with so much physical pain from the cancer itself.

Regarding the money issue, I think I have to agree with Jess. In that situation, no matter how much money you already have, I think you desperately want to give those you love even more to make sure they're okay. When you know you're not going to be around to watch them and make sure they'll be all right, I doubt you at some point think "Yeah, the amount of money I leave them will be enough to give them a good life."

Plus, I think after her time in the limelight, she knows how the media works. They'd get the stories anyway, but this way, she will get the money to pass on to her sons, and by giving them the story, she's also meeting them halfway, which will make the fight for the best stories less dramatic. They media get the story because she give it to them, and in return they probably won't stalk her as bad as they would have if she had refused to give them anything. Not saying it's an ideal situation, and I'm not saying this means the media acts like nice, understanding people, but it is a difficult situation, and I guess it's about making the best of it. And like Jess said, she knows she won't be able to enjoy the money, so I doubt that's the hidden agenda here.

It's a horrible situation. I know a girl who's 19 who's in the same situation. I don't know her personally, but I know her best friend, and many of her other friends. She battled leukemia for almost a year, and they thought they'd beaten it until a few weeks ago when the doctors told her there was nothing more that could be done. She was also given 2-4 weeks, but it's now been 6 weeks, and she's still in a relatively good shape, although obviously getting worse every day. The "good" thing about her situation though, is that the pain's not too bad to control with drugs, so she has spent her last weeks at home, where they've also given her blood transfusions and pain medication, and unless something very dramatic happens (which is unlikely at this point) she won't have to go back to a hospital. It must be horrible for Jade though, the worst part is probably not knowing you'll die at the end of this, but in addition to that her last weeks have been filled with so much physical pain from the cancer itself.

Regarding the money issue, I think I have to agree with Jess. In that situation, no matter how much money you already have, I think you desperately want to give those you love even more to make sure they're okay. When you know you're not going to be around to watch them and make sure they'll be all right, I doubt you at some point think "Yeah, the amount of money I leave them will be enough to give them a good life."

Plus, I think after her time in the limelight, she knows how the media works. They'd get the stories anyway, but this way, she will get the money to pass on to her sons, and by giving them the story, she's also meeting them halfway, which will make the fight for the best stories less dramatic. They media get the story because she give it to them, and in return they probably won't stalk her as bad as they would have if she had refused to give them anything. Not saying it's an ideal situation, and I'm not saying this means the media acts like nice, understanding people, but it is a difficult situation, and I guess it's about making the best of it. And like Jess said, she knows she won't be able to enjoy the money, so I doubt that's the hidden agenda here.

Yeah Eli like I said about my mum , she to was given 4-6 weeks and was so close to living an entire year after she was given such a short space of time to live.

It does all depend on what kind of cancer though and the nature of it. I really dont think Jade will last long because its spread to so many parts of her body :(

Am i the only one who finds it disturbing that Jade's wedding was the headline news? I do feel sorry for her and it's a tragic situation for anyone to be in - but it doesn't deserve all the media attention it's getting. Thousands of women die every day from cervical cancer. Jade is no different and i'm sure the 'special' treatment both she and Jack received would not have been granted to a 'normal' couple.

Perhaps i'm cynical, but i do question Jack's motives. Before her diagnosis he was cheating on her, didn't seem to care and how suddenly he's the perfect husband.

She claims she's doing all this for her children, and i don't doubt they're at the very heart of it - but Jade is not exactly poor and what with her perfume, books, tv shows she probably already has more than enough money to see her children comfortably through life.

I just find it wrong what with everything that's happening in the world right now, civil wars, the crisis in Zimbabwe, Darfur, the economic crisis etc etc that we seem to care more about a dying celebrity who has done nothing to credit her fame.

^^ I don't dispute that and i think it's great she's managed to draw attention to the disease. Already the number of women going to screenings has increased.

But enough is enough. I just don't agree with her 'selling' her last few months and the media concentrating so heavily on her - as i've said there is so much going on in the world that deserves attention.

I agree with you entirely Kirsty, I won't post my full views on her however as they'll probably be deemed as insensitive :wink:

I agree with both Dan and Kirsty. And will stick with Dan's method of keeping my full views to myself. I think Jack's motives are questionable and that there are worser things in the world to be focusing all attention on. Thousands of people die every day of cervical cancer, and I think there's been enough media attention on Jade to get the idea across that women should be checked young. It is a terrible situation that she is in, and I feel extremely sorry for her and her loved ones, BUT she's not the only one going through it and I do find it all a bit unfair.

Am i the only one who finds it disturbing that Jade's wedding was the headline news? I do feel sorry for her and it's a tragic situation for anyone to be in - but it doesn't deserve all the media attention it's getting. Thousands of women die every day from cervical cancer. Jade is no different and i'm sure the 'special' treatment both she and Jack received would not have been granted to a 'normal' couple.

Perhaps i'm cynical, but i do question Jack's motives. Before her diagnosis he was cheating on her, didn't seem to care and how suddenly he's the perfect husband.

She claims she's doing all this for her children, and i don't doubt they're at the very heart of it - but Jade is not exactly poor and what with her perfume, books, tv shows she probably already has more than enough money to see her children comfortably through life.

I just find it wrong what with everything that's happening in the world right now, civil wars, the crisis in Zimbabwe, Darfur, the economic crisis etc etc that we seem to care more about a dying celebrity who has done nothing to credit her fame.

^^ I don't dispute that and i think it's great she's managed to draw attention to the disease. Already the number of women going to screenings has increased.

But enough is enough. I just don't agree with her 'selling' her last few months and the media concentrating so heavily on her - as i've said there is so much going on in the world that deserves attention.

I agree with you entirely Kirsty, I won't post my full views on her however as they'll probably be deemed as insensitive :wink:

I agree with both Dan and Kirsty. And will stick with Dan's method of keeping my full views to myself. I think Jack's motives are questionable and that there are worser things in the world to be focusing all attention on. Thousands of people die every day of cervical cancer, and I think there's been enough media attention on Jade to get the idea across that women should be checked young. It is a terrible situation that she is in, and I feel extremely sorry for her and her loved ones, BUT she's not the only one going through it and I do find it all a bit unfair.

If, as you say, Jack's motives are 'questionable', then surely that should make us feel more sorry for Jade, because she's dying of cancer and being potentially taken for a ride by this idiot? I'm not sure why everyone's pouncing on this as something which reflects so badly on her. :huh: Besides, if he makes her happy during this horrendous time then, as cruel as it sounds, shouldn't she be allowed it, even if his motives aren't entirely perfect? Let's face it, she's gonna die soon, and while I'm not usually in for deceiving people, surely Jade dying happy would be the preferable option right now?

Yes, there are a lot of other awful things going on in the world but, like it's already been said, the media are who they are and they'd still want all the information. Like Eli said earlier, at least this way with Jade being fairly open with the media, they're getting the right facts, there's not so much sensationalism, and they're not hounding her so obsessively for every single photo. Although people argue that it's wrong of her to be whoring herself all over the 'papers (a view point that I disagree with, in any case), surely right now, with the media how it is, it's the lesser of the two evils? Again, the fact that the media are like this in the first place really shouldn't reflect badly on Jade, she's just making the best of a horrible situation.

So you think there's been 'enough' media attention on Jade now? So you don't mind her getting a bit of the limelight, so that she can raise awareness of cervical cancer (which is obviously a very positive thing), but she's done her 'job' now, and so she should disappear and go and die quietly? Why should she? She's spent a large majority of her adult life in the media glare, if she tried to hide from it now, it'd only increase media pressure.

That wasn't a direct attack on you, BTW, it's just a topic I feel very strongly about, and I'm sorry if I came across as unnecessarily harsh in any places.

Archived