Belle/Aden

Cal

In response to chelsjo:

Before we go any further I would like to state that I think Aden’s character is good for the show and have really enjoyed some his storylines this year.

This has already been stated by someone but one of the frustration things regarding Aden is that a lot of people seem to think the abuse gives him the green light to get away with anything.

I will try my best to reply to some (not all) of your comments.

1. Right so because we don’t agree with you with regards with whether they have a positive effect on each other with respect to the show we haven’t been watching it properly or paying attention is that what you’re saying?

Well I feel I can comment on the length of time and I feel it was ridiculously short, I mean two weeks in clinic for attempted murder. And let’s not forget he beat Axel and left him for dead without showing one snippet of remorse. I don’t feel two weeks counselling is enough to come to terms with that. Surely it would take months. And remember his attitude in the clinic first when he was talking with the psychologist and then when he saw Melody’s dad. It was almost as if he was boasting about what he did.

After reading some people’s comments about Belle I am now in two minds about whether she is positive for Aden or not. I’m undecided now. Need to think about it some more.

Ok so I accept that the kidnapping could have been possibly some sort of breakdown but if that’s the case when the sentence was passed in court surely he should have been sent back to the clinic not released (i.e. the temporary insanity plea). Also did he suffer a breakdown when he went after Axel? Another point that somebody mentioned previously was several months ago Annie accused Aden of assaulting her. Can you imagine what would have happened if somebody adopted the same attitude as Aden did at the time i.e. judge, jury and executioner.

2. As I said before it is not the cheating on Angelo which bothers me but using him. Belle is not the first person to cheat on someone and she certainly won’t be the last so I’m not judging her on that.

3. Spoiler so haven’t looked at it

4. No comment.

5. I don’t really see too much of a problem with this either. She seemed perfectly ok with it and she could have just told him to get lost but she didn’t.

6. As I already said Nicole was immature but since the stuff with Elliott she has changed. All this happened before she was kidnapped.

7. Spoiler so haven’t looked at it.

8. There is no doubt in my mind that both of them are excellent actors and as I keep saying I don’t mind them individually but not as a couple. And I don’t understand what all the fuss about them is about to be honest. Similarly I didn’t understand the fuss with Martha and Jack when they were the main couple prior to Adelle.

• Replies 637
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder are we expecting too much of both Belle and Aden at the moment. Both have been through traumatic events in their lives and clearly neither of them are thinking clearly or making good life choices. Both at this stage need someone to cling to just to keep afloat and its a desperate need. It's easy to look in as observers from outside the relationship and say Aden should face up to this and Belle should have done that. Neither of them are in a good enough place to be making those sort of good choices. All they know is that Aden trusts Belle enough to share his darkest secrets with her and Belle values that trust enough to stand by him. From their point of view they are clinging to that and nothing else matters.

The point about Aden trusting Belle is a valid one as if I can remember she was the only one he revealed the abuse to (I really can’t remember when Roman found out, I think it may have been when he got arrested, someone correct me if I’m wrong). If as you say they have been through traumatic events, not thinking clearly and are desperate do you think it’s wise for them to be involved in a relationship with one another at the moment?

I think my original point was that neither of these characters is in a good enough place at the moment to make good, long term decisions. Who decides what is wise and what is not? At the moment I think their decision to be together is based on a desperate need for mutual support. Only time will show both us and hopefully them whether the relationship will "work" in the longer term. The fans need to hope it doesn't work in the longer term. The history of the show tends to be that any couple that becomes settled, marries etc. either dies, leaves or breaks up. Correct me if I'm wrong but I can't think of a single couple during my time watching the show that have been written as going through the normal process of stable relationship life for any length of time. Perhaps the writers would see that as boring and perhaps we wouldn't watch it. <_<

Edited by john003au

Oh, good, this seems to have settled down a bit.I'm not going to ruin anyone's Christmas by starting another argument(I'll save that for another thread).Chelfso, you made a good case even if I don't agree with everything you said.I'd just like to say that, thinking about it, my arguments weren't as contradictory as they first appeared.Belle didn't help him immediately after the breakdown and she shouldn't have done without a fuller discussion of what happened.I can reconcile that.

Anyway, best wishes to anyone who holds any opinion on the subject and see you after the break.

I am a massive, massive fan of Adelle and I've loved Belle since forever and since the Adelle journey began I've grown really fond of Aden.

I've read through the some comments and some points have really bugged me. Here's my take on some of them, they are no particular order and yes, I have exhibits:

1) Positive Effects

To say Belle and Aden haven't had a positive effect on each other then you must have of been asleep while watching the past six months of episodes. Aden was in denial about the abuse he suffered, he didn't want to deal with it but as he really liked and cared about Belle and he really wanted to have a healthy and productive relationship with her, he knew he would have to deal with his problems so he began counseling and as result he was able to work through them and have sex with Belle and move forward with their relationship in a positive way. You can't really comment on the length of time he had counseling as it would be different for everybody in how long it takes for a person to get through problems. Also through this time when Belle knew the truth of the abuse she gave him the ultimate amount of support and allowed him to confide all in her .

Exhibit A -6:42 to 9:48.

From early on Belle also gently pushed Aden to try and fix his relationship with his father (something that should be a positive thing).

Exhibit B -5:27 to 5:35.

Exhibit C -3:21 to 3:30.

Yes she should of probably of told him straight away when she saw he was drinking, she did make an error in judgment but she did tell him and realized it wasn't pushing to fixing his relationship that would be a positive effect, that he needed support and someone to confide, she became that person.

Exhibit D 4:02 to 10:48.

The kidnapping occurred because of Aden suffering a breakdown, his Dad basically caused him to crack and for the period of the “hostage” Aden become a totally different person, Belle knew for him to become himself again, admit what he did was wrong and get better he had to do it while he was single.

Belle was still having a positive effect on Aden even when they had broken up, Aden didn't want people to judge him and he didn't want anyone that knew to speak of the abuse during the court case, Belle made him realize that to stop himself from going to prison he would have to speak of the abuse, which did save him from prison.

Exhibit E -0:00 to 1:53

She then gently pushed him again to visit his dad and was very supportive. She knew he had to visit his dad to close that chapter in his life, yes Aden didn't completely choose the chapter it did help him move forward.

Exhibit F -1:48 to 2:46 and 6:01 to 7:04.

Now the tables have turned with Aden being a positive effect on Belle of late, he has been really sweet, promised to help her through everything and encouraged her that seeing a counselor would really her through her PTSD.

Exhibit G -5:03 to 7:12

2) Cheating on Angelo

I don't really think I condone what Belle did to Angelo as Angelo did trust her but as her love and passion for Aden did overcome her, she got swept up in the moment and she decided to stop denying those feelings for Aden that never actually went away. She was only really ever with Angelo not because she was falling head of heals for him but because she wanted to try a "safe" (boring) relationship, she had been in two tumultuous relationships and she wanted to see if just plain old dating someone was going to work for her.

She didn't string Angelo on to be selfish, she had honorable reasons and it was for something that was much bigger than the Adelle and Angelo triangle. Yes, people were dying and if she didn't solve the 'mystery' more people would of died. Maybe the best decision when thinking about Angelo would have been to tell straight away but she needed to uncover the whole toxic development mess. She did feel really guilty for what happened with Angelo and how he found out.

Exhibit H -1:41 to 3:32

Please, please stop talking about Angelo like he is a saint, the last few weeks of HnA show he is not, he shouldn't of got mad like did, yes he wasn't the one that bashed Belle but he did lose control, threw a chair, punched the hole in a wall and said some horrible, horrible things to her.

Exhibit I -2:43 to 3:16 and 6:28 to 7:03

She does speak of the guilt and wishes to speak to him about it after discussing it with her counselor this until she sees him speaking to the guy who attacked her.

Exhibit J -Throughout

4) The Reunion Scene

Someone a few days ago made out like Aden raped her, he did no such thing he just wanted Belle to stop denying the obvious feelings she had for him, plus there no doubt that the kiss which lead to more was two-sided, Belle went in for more a few times.

Exhibit K -1:09 to- 2:41

5) Scene with Aden drunk in Belle's bedroom

I honestly don't see the problem with this and she did already know him, spent time that same day at the hospital with him and she knew he was upset about his dad, she did tell him to sleep on the floor, he crawled into the bed, she did ask him to leave but they did end up sharing. They were just sharing a bed, it's not like they had a one-night stand.

6) Nicole

How is she made to look good in this situation (the same episode as the scene I was discussing before). After Aden tried it on with her, she certainly didn't help the situation and she knew that he was upset about his dad and wasn't giving him any of the support he needed. Then after Belle and Aden got together she was acting like a jealous idiot.

This being said, lately I have grown to really like Nicole, I think she is hilarious, I like the sibling relationship that has developed between her and Aden and that she is now being supportive of Belle and Aden relationship.

7) Belle

In the last few weeks of HnA a few traumatic things happen to Belle and if you feel no sympathy for her you must be made of stone. Viewers are showed a complete U'y between Aden and Belle, we watch them change roles and Belle becomes the person that needs the support, care and understanding. Aden does become that person and he is really sweet with Belle, he encourages her to deal with the post-traumatic stress and see the counselor and discuss it. He also tells her that they will deal with it together which I think was the perfect thing for him to say at that moment. Viewers also get two episodes in the last week on Home and Away where it is just Belle, so yes we do get to see the characters act as individuals.

8) Popularity

Do you think there maybe the latest results on different sites show that they are popular and liked:

-Todd Lasance won Hottest TV Male of 2008 in TV Week , Jess Tovey won 2nd Hottest TV Female of 2008 and Adelle won Hottest TV Couple of 2008, (these were chosen by being voted by people they weren't chosen by the magazine).

-Also over at HAAC Todd and Jess have taken out best actor and actress' awards for the year and best couple.

So maybe they are quite a popular couple and to the thousands of people (in the TV Week poll) who voted for them and that they were able to realize just how great of a couple they are and that they do have chemistry.

As I said before I love Adelle, I think that in HnA land they are 'meant to be', they have heaps of chemistry and they just fit as a couple. They both also share a deep trust in the other person which I think is healthy with both of their family situations. I do believe they have both made some stupid choices but that is one of the things that is good about their relationship, it is real and believable as who doesn't make mistakes. I've enjoyed watching the journey that they have undergone just to be together.

I can't wait to see what the 09' season brings for Adelle, I hoping for little drama (although I know there is some coming up), lots of fluff and maybe a wedding or an Adelle baby/ babies. Overall I hope there is happy times ahead for the couple!

Thank you so much for writing this. Took the words right out of my mouth. Great explaination. :D

I like Belle but im stating to get sick of her being in all the storylines its stuffing up her character

i mean how many times can one girl be in the hospital lol

I like Belle too and although im loving the fact that shes getting a lot of screen time, i can honestly say that the writers REALLY, REALLY need to start making some sort of positive approach to her character!! So i hope they know what they're doing with her character and don't destroy her too much...I wonder if they know that we know that her being in hospital sooooo much is actually quite annoying rather than entertaining.

BUT I STILL LUVS YA BELLES!!!

i can honestly say that the writers REALLY, REALLY need to start making some sort of positive approach to her character

I want that to but not right now. As much as I love Belle I'm enjoying watching her struggle to cope. It's good to see someone actually sufferring to get back on their feet after they've been through alot and not just get over it in a couple of days. I'm looking forward to the very dark downward spiral thats coming. And I hope they do it properly and not finish with it in 3 weeks or something.

But when thats over then I want atleast some Aden and Belle fluff. Ever since they got together I don't think they've even had atleast two weeks to just be a couple without all the drama. It would nice to just see them be happy.

Edited by Jody

Oh, good, this seems to have settled down a bit.I'm not going to ruin anyone's Christmas by starting another argument(I'll save that for another thread).Chelfso, you made a good case even if I don't agree with everything you said.I'd just like to say that, thinking about it, my arguments weren't as contradictory as they first appeared.Belle didn't help him immediately after the breakdown and she shouldn't have done without a fuller discussion of what happened.I can reconcile that.

Anyway, best wishes to anyone who holds any opinion on the subject and see you after the break.

Yeah it has calmed down, I've decided not do anymore posts on the Belle/Aden thread and do what most of the other Adelle fans are doing and stay away from this thread as it is too infuriating. I'll just be sticking to discussing them elsewhere.

Anyways I hope all you guys have a really Christmas and best wishes for the New Year. :)

Edited by chelsjo

Yeah it has calmed down, I've decided not do anymore posts on the Belle/Aden thread and do what most of the other Adelle fans are doing and stay away from this thread as it is too infuriating. I'll just be sticking to discussing them elsewhere.

Anyways I hope all you guys have a really Christmas and best wishes for the New Year. :)

I understand your frustration and this highlights exactly one of the problems created when only using one thread rather than separate threads for the pro and anti factions of each character. We all have characters we like and don’t like and when I see negative comments about my favourite characters (as much as it pains me to say this) a lot of the time I just have to bite my tongue and try to ignore them. If somebody has a really strong opinion about something then I personally feel sometimes it’s pointless trying to change their mind. The last thing I want to do is make somebody feel that they don’t want to post here. So perhaps I could try being more balanced in future.

Anyway hope you also have a good Christmas/New year and the same to everybody else. :)