Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Guest MarcHall0606

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure that Smallville relates directly to "perverse sexuality" but JTT's villain was pretty hot naked :P.

Don't know if this little post will help but I have to reply to the Smallville mention. When season 1 came, the fans went wild with the Clark/Lex subtext. We were supposed to care about Clark & Lana and Chloe/Clark, but most of the fans cared for the Clex a lot more. In the first season, a Slash archive was created and has now spawned thousands of fics based on this pairing.

The reason we liked it?

It wasn't the writing. It was the fact that, unlike Buffy and Angel, we knew where this story between two friends would end. And now, because of two geeks who creamed at the thought of creating a teenage Superman drama, we have seen the beginning.

And because of their take on the friendship, most fans want to believe that the characters hate towards each other is because of a bad break up.

By Season 4, the subtext was gone. That was because the writers were fed up of so much Clex talk on the web.

Would Whedon have taken away the subtext from his shows if he was fed up? No, because he wasn't afraid to go ahead with things like that. One example being the jump from subtext to text in Angel Season 5, when Spike finally admitted (in a passing comment) that he had in fact had a one time thing with Angel.

Another example of Whedon not being afraid of crossing from subtext to text is the Angel/Lindsey relationship throughout the show. Both Darla and Eve said that Angel was the center of Lindsey's world.

And, to further the Whedon stats, check out Firefly. I have not seen this series myself but I want to put some attention on a male macho character named Jayne.

I believe that the nickname Whedon was given by the fans (God) was given for a reason. I think subtext got a rivival because of Whedon and his beautiful writing, and other shows hopped on the bandwagon. Hell, you even have subtext in friggin childrens programmes (Power Rangers being one of those).

Probably of no help but I'm tired and wanted to ramble.

No, no, that's awesome! Thanks heaps...this paper's going to rock, I feel. And even if I don't get a place in the conference...how often do you get to write about marginalised opinions of one of your favourite shows?

No, no, that's awesome! Thanks heaps...this paper's going to rock, I feel. And even if I don't get a place in the conference...how often do you get to write about marginalised opinions of one of your favourite shows?

I know I'm coming into this a bit late, but just felt I had to mention the subtext between Angel and Riley - not one to be forgotten!

I watched the ep with Xander and Anya's wedding today. I'd totally forgotten about the really great scene between Buffy and Spike, where she admits that she's jealous of his new girlfriend. :wub: How can she say she doesn't love him?!

Also watched the ep where Buffy is an an institution - fandabbydozy. One of my faves I think.

I watched the ep with Xander and Anya's wedding today. I'd totally forgotten about the really great scene between Buffy and Spike, where she admits that she's jealous of his new girlfriend. :wub: How can she say she doesn't love him?!

Also watched the ep where Buffy is an an institution - fandabbydozy. One of my faves I think.

Yeah they were great episodes! I forgot about the institute episode. I was so happy when I first saw that and we got to see Joyce again :) I haven't watched season 6 in aaaages. I've been watching season 1 & 2 lately. Need to watch some later seasons lol. :)

Archived